Kosman wheel help...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGPKR

Reaction score
I'll be sending my rear wheel into Kosman soon and was looking for some input from those that have went through the order process. I'm needing some size recommendations. I know I want to do 17", not sure how an 18" would look. Also what would my width options be while retaining a stock swing arm? Also has anyone every widened the front wheel? Just wondering if any extra width is there or if it would have a handing benefit.
Thanks

A wider front wheel would allow you to use a 120/80/18, which might give you a few more options in tires. You should look through galleries here or on Here. There are lots of pics of guys with 17" and 18" rear wheels. The 17 will leave a bigger gap to the fender unless you go with a 190/55/17, which will fit. I have a 190/50/17 on the rear and have to loosent eh pumpkin to get it in there as well as having a modified brake arm and the washer swap.

I have no experience with Kosman, though. I've got a rear wheel from some yamaha. I didn't measure it, but I think it's a 5.5"

From what Ive been told (and I'm getting ready to find this out) the widest that you can go with a stock swingarm is 180/55-18. That works out to be 5.5 inch width on the rim.

From what Ive been told (and I'm getting ready to find this out) the widest that you can go with a stock swingarm is 180/55-18. That works out to be 5.5 inch width on the rim.

This is true for 18" wheels. A 17 will allow a bit wider tire to fit due to profile. At least it seems that way from what I've got sitting in the garage.

Would going with an 18" effect the speedo? Would like to keep it as near as the stock diameter as possible while maximizing width with a stock or minimally modified swing arm.

This is true for 18" wheels. A 17 will allow a bit wider tire to fit due to profile. At least it seems that way from what I've got sitting in the garage.

What is your wheel width and tire size? I'm interested more in a 17. My old Busa was only a 17 but ran a 190 rear tire. Although i'm not necessarily looking for that width.

Speedo is on the front. That will only get affected by going with the only radial size that fits (110/80/18) due to width. I honestly don't know the width of my wheel, and it's at the shop getting fresh rubber for the season. I'll try to get it measured when I get it back, but I'm fairly certain it's not more than 5.5".

Based on the ordeal I've just been through with these stupid wheels, I'm gonna say it's a wheel from an FZR1000 which is 5.5"

Speedo is on the front. That will only get affected by going with the only radial size that fits (110/80/18) due to width. I honestly don't know the width of my wheel, and it's at the shop getting fresh rubber for the season. I'll try to get it measured when I get it back, but I'm fairly certain it's not more than 5.5".

Based on the ordeal I've just been through with these stupid wheels, I'm gonna say it's a wheel from an FZR1000 which is 5.5"

I actually knew the speedo is on the front. Don't know what I was thinking. :icon_rolleyes:

I'm thinking the benefit for the front tire isn't there.

I wouldn't spend the money widening the front. Most guys don't unless they just buy new wheels or get a great deal on a used one or something.

I wouldn't spend the money widening the front. Most guys don't unless they just buy new wheels or get a great deal on a used one or something.

+1

You can get a 110/80-18 Radial for the front. The speedo will be off a bit, but not bad. The "Stock" bias ply 110/90-18 gives you a sidewall height of 99mm, and the radial of 110/80 will give you a sidewall height of 88mm. So basically your speedo will read about 9% fast, but I dont think thats really an issue with the benefits of the radials.

Some people will go with a widened front tire to get back to the stock sidewall height. 130/70-18 gives you a sidewall height 91mm

5.5" wide rear rim is the best choice for someone who just wants to bolt on a wheel and go.

A 6" rim won't fit right unless you are doing some swingarm notching and custom offset to clear the right side of the fender.

Appreciate the input from everyone. So 5.5 wide in the rear it is. Now just need to decide on 17 or 18 inch and what is the best size tire for either...

i liked having a 3.5" front (cazz, but could be done with a wideneed front) for a 130 front which put the speedo right about on and even a 120 would be better with a 180/190 rear.

Appreciate the input from everyone. So 5.5 wide in the rear it is. Now just need to decide on 17 or 18 inch and what is the best size tire for either...

18" fits the look of the bike better (unless you lower the rear a good bit) but has less tire choices than 17". There is no right or wrong answer as to which one is better. Its opinion.

I'd say 180 is the best tire choice. I'd be surprised if you can fit a 190 in there without notching the swingarm. You can start with a 180 and once you have it on there, take some measurements and see if a 190 will fit. The only reason I would consider a 190 is for looks.

I put a thundercat wheel on the front with a 130/80/17 Avon tire, nice and wide and fills the fender plus speedometer should be real close. The wheel is 3.5 inches wide.

Last edited:
I have a Kosman 17" x 5.5", 3" over notched arm. A 190/55 wouldn't fit without the washer swap. Sure looks good!

Dale

I have a Kosman 17" x 5.5", 3" over notched arm. A 190/55 wouldn't fit without the washer swap. Sure looks good!

Same wheel here. Stock swingarm has about 4mm gap between itself and the tire. There is zero offset. I think a 190 might be possible with a washer swap or swingarm adjustment. I'm staying with the 180 unless I get the swingarm notched.
Steve

Latest posts

Back