VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
As people know....Ive spent quite of a bit of time playing with the bike on the dyno. After that last day, even with Seans kit....I wasnt getting the numbers that I was expecting....I was still too rich, even though from the jetting i shouldnt be.

I called Sean for advice (even ordered more jets) and he suggested that I look at the floats. All of the floats need to be within 1 mm of each other is a good piece of advice that he gave. For me....it was a PITA trying to measure the floats on the bike....and the tool that I was using.....it was difficult to see if the floats were BELOW 15 mm. For people that dont know.....15 is the maximum that the floats can be....and that is considered rich. 17 is considered lean.

I sent the carbs to DannyMax. I would suggest that anyone that is searching for HP....to do that, or at least......swap with rebuilt carbs from Sean.

Danny found some interesting things. The floats were WAY rich. It also turns out the the carbs were California Carbs. This is on a supposedly 1 owner Texas bike. (I never really looked at them.....I assumed....I know....I know). Also some of the linkage is a bit stiff....so Danny said that he would grease them up abit as well. Also the bike is an 07, as are the carbs...but the interior O-rings are already showing significant wear due to ethanol.

So...it will be interesting to see what all happens when they get back.....and it will be time for more dyno runs.

Some people ask me, why didnt I do the carbs myself. I couldve....and would like to think that I couldve done a good job of it...but Danny is an expert. If you watch shows like street outlaws...etc, you will notice one interesting fact. Most of the engines that the guys are running....they didnt build themselves. I'm willing to pay to have Danny do an EXPERT job....as opposed to my "good" job that I would do.

I'm probably going to send mine back to Danny anyway just in case. He's so awesome at carb stuff.

I think mine will be going to Danny one day. I do a pretty good job of cleaning and setting my floats (at least I think i do, lol) but im curious as to what theyd be like after the master gets a hold of em...

I just rebuilt a set of carbs from a 1987 canadian vmax and noticed there was no vacuum tube going to the airbox-
I am in cali and have #161 with #161 engine and no emission canister. I am sure someone removed it as there were none of the 4 lines that go back to the airbox either.
Traum, I am not sure but i will be looking into finding if the 49 staters have the one return vacuum line. Easiest way i have found is the different air jet being 100 instead of 90. Maybe someone changed yours?

Also meant to say that ALL the rubber o-rings including the bowl gaskets were shrunk because the canadians like running avgas in them. Here is what he had to say after the bike had set for 10+ years.
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/4872715683.html

Last edited:
I just rebuilt a set of carbs from a 1987 canadian vmax and noticed there was no vacuum tube going to the airbox-
I am in cali and have #161 with #161 engine and no emission canister. I am sure someone removed it as there were none of the 4 lines that go back to the airbox either.
Traum, I am not sure but i will be looking into finding if the 49 staters have the one return vacuum line. Easiest way i have found is the different air jet being 100 instead of 90. Maybe someone changed yours?

Its possible....but Danny also found the port coming off of one of the carbs that is supposed to go to the emissions canister. That port is blocked though.

Its possible....but Danny also found the port coming off of one of the carbs that is supposed to go to the emissions canister. That port is blocked though.
If you look at this first set past the idle adjustment screw you will see the vacuum tube on the cali carbs-
The second set does not have it-
I run it to the bottom front of the airbox so that it will breathe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-07-VMX-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2cdf1dd8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-Yamaha-V...Parts_Accessories&hash=item48731d33fb&vxp=mtr

That vacuum tube on carb #2 is sucking air and does not work as well if it is plugged.
That is why i run it to the bottom front inlet on the airbox. If you plug it you will see (and feel) the difference on the sync tool.

I did change the air jet from 100 to 90 on mine. 152.5 mains as all the rest of the jets are stock also-air box and stock pipes.

Last edited:
Well off the top of my head, I didnt see anything like that....but I didnt look either. Danny was the one that found everything, and he had an interesting theory. That with it being an 07, and the last year of the Gen 1's, that they probably took what ever they had on hand, and built a bike.

Thanks for the info.

He told me aboot the canadian needles having the adjustment on them unlike usa.
He certainly helped me with some of the parts when i rebuilt them.

Well off the top of my head, I didnt see anything like that....but I didnt look either. Danny was the one that found everything, and he had an interesting theory. That with it being an 07, and the last year of the Gen 1's, that they probably took what ever they had on hand, and built a bike.

Thanks for the info.
Also you can date them from the stamp on the sides.

That vacuum tube on carb #2 is sucking air and does not work as well if it is plugged.
That is why i run it to the bottom front inlet on the airbox. If you plug it you will see (and feel) the difference on the sync tool.

I did change the air jet from 100 to 90 on mine. 152.5 mains as all the rest of the jets are stock also-air box and stock pipes.

They are factory installed plugs Jon, doesn't change anything to plug them other than stop unfiltered air from entering the #2 carb throat.

Thinking Yamaha set them all up to be either/or Cali or 49 state bikes as I've seen these factory caps several times.

Thanks for the info.

Exactly right. I've worked on US49 '06 and '07 models and they all had the EVAP port on the #2 carb. I've also worked on later Gen 1's and they had the early model R/R, etc.

Eric, glad the float level richness was found. I usually set that first as that's the foundation for all other carb circuits.

Mark

Exactly right. I've worked on US49 '06 and '07 models and they all had the EVAP port on the #2 carb. I've also worked on later Gen 1's and they had the early model R/R, etc.

Eric, glad the float level richness was found. I usually set that first as that's the foundation for all other carb circuits.

Mark

LOL....well hind sight is always 20/20. And before I ever went to the dyno.....I probably shouldve done this first.

Definitely before I put Seans kit in.

Mark

Now that could kinda piss one off!

Best running bike I ever owned was a 2005 (that had been crashed and went end over end). It was a Cali bike that I took of the charcoal cannister from and put a rubber plug over the port. Ran excellent and smooth. It's running around Canada somewhere right now and has a lot of mods that had been done to it including an overdrive. Made 127 rwhp and got 44-49 mpg on the highway.

Sean

They are factory installed plugs Jon, doesn't change anything to plug them other than stop unfiltered air from entering the #2 carb throat.

Thinking Yamaha set them all up to be either/or Cali or 49 state bikes as I've seen these factory caps several times.
But by running a hose from the bottom front of the airbox to the evap port it is filtered air.

That is also the drain. So, any moisture or crap that gets into the box and needs to get out of the system will be sucked into the carb. Plus you'll have a vacuum "leak" of sorts since there is no resistance to airflow.

Latest posts

Back