brake/clutch levers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With that being an aftermarket lever....that might be difficult to get.

They look like the same levers that I am using. I am not at home, so cant see what the number is, but the levers look like the same ones that I have on my bike. Here is the link to ebay where I bought them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251006820844?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I ordered some from the same seller yesterday. Hopefully they fit and get here sooner than later....Shipping from China seems to be erratic at best.

thank you very much

I found in the description

Item specifics
Manufacturer Part Number:
l51r45

this that that is necessary.

Good....glad that it worked out. This is one of the things that I like about this forum. No matter what the question....someone....somewhere has the answer.

I'm glad. I bought mind they work very good.

I had to used the stock brass bushing for the clutch side. The bushing that comes with the new levers hole was not deep enough - my clutch would slip with the levers bushing.,

My stock levers was only about 2 weeks old brand new.

Attachments

• P1000338.jpg
    P1000338.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P1000340.jpg
    P1000340.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 50
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 55
  • P1080460.jpg
    P1080460.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 58
  • P1080463.jpg
    P1080463.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 50
^ I did the same thing.
I used the brass bushing from my stock lever for my new lever.

Hey guys, I've tried these aftermarket levers and They don't work for me. My problem is the part of the lever that pushes the brake plunger in. The stock one has an adjustable screw that really sticks out a fair bit. These other all have just a slightly raised/rounded bump that doesn't come close to contacting the brake cylinder so I have 1/4 inch or 6mm of play before my brakes engage. Am I not seeing something or not doing something right?

Matt

I have the same problem with the play in the brake lever but for now I just put up with it. I may try to drill a hole and add an adjustment screw down the road.

Doug

Hey guys, I've tried these aftermarket levers and They don't work for me. My problem is the part of the lever that pushes the brake plunger in. The stock one has an adjustable screw that really sticks out a fair bit. These other all have just a slightly raised/rounded bump that doesn't come close to contacting the brake cylinder so I have 1/4 inch or 6mm of play before my brakes engage. Am I not seeing something or not doing something right?

Matt
Yes the Stock Brake lever has an adjustable screw and no the new adjustable lever does Not.
Did you get these Exact same levers ?
attachment.php

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251006820844?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
They installed and worked perfectly in place of my stock levers on my stock masters.
As stated above I did have to use the bushing from my stock clutch lever on the new adjustable clutch lever though.
I know they don't come with instructions but that seemed like a no brainer to me, it wouldn't have even been close without that bushing.
But the Brake lever was a direct replacement without any changes or modification.
PS
As stated previously the black part has L51 on the clutch lever and R45 on the brake lever

If you didn't buy these exact levers you may need to modify yours.

Attachments

• 4-FingerAdjustable-Levers.jpg
    4-FingerAdjustable-Levers.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 167
Yes the Stock Brake lever has an adjustable screw and no the new adjustable lever does Not.
Did you get these Exact same levers ?
attachment.php

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251006820844?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
They installed and worked perfectly in place of my stock levers on my stock masters.
As stated above I did have to use the bushing from my stock clutch lever on the new adjustable clutch lever though.
I know they don't come with instructions but that seemed like a no brainer to me, it wouldn't have even been close without that bushing.
But the Brake lever was a direct replacement without any changes or modification.

If you didn't buy these exact levers you may need to modify yours.

I have those as well. I transferred over the bolt and bushing, and they worked great out of the box.

Re the clutch lever, I ground off approx 1.5 mm from the actuating pin since the OEM bushing was tight in the new lever and I was getting clutch slip. Works perfectly now. With regard to the brake lever, my replacement was threaded for the screw and nut adjuster but a word of caution here. I VERY SLIGHTLY had the adjuster a little tight and riding out to a club meeting one evening had the very strange experience of the front wheel locking up due to a lack of clearance between the rotors and the pads. I'm talking fractions here so please be careful. My brakes were perfect until I was two miles or so into the ride and then they started to pinch. Thank you to the disabled lady in the green Saturn who was kind enough to provide me with a screwdriver and get me rolling again.

Chris.

Ok dumb question to add to this thread since it has me thinking of buying the levers. The Ebay advert states in the title it is for all Vmax years but then further in the description it states it is only good for Gen 1 2000 and up... Since multiple people are already using these and well pretty much everyone on this site is more knowledgeable about the Vmax than I am, will these work on an '85?

...if they will work here is dumb question number two. Since I have done any sort of lever swap on a bike before should I plan on having extra fluids on hand before doing the swap? I am assuming that some will leak out of the reservoirs during the swap but like I said I have never even considered pulling the levers off before.

Thanks!

When I changed mine, no fluid leaked out. I reused the stock bolts, and the stock bushings came with it.

I dont know of any changes between an 85 and 07 master cylinders.

But....i can only attest to the levers that I bought, and the ones that Dennis has.

When I changed mine, no fluid leaked out. I reused the stock bolts, and the stock bushings came with it.

I dont know of any changes between an 85 and 07 master cylinders.

But....i can only attest to the levers that I bought, and the ones that Dennis has.

Thanks, I'll wait for more input before pulling the trigger then. Just refueled and now grabbing a bite to eat then its back to two wheels for a few more hours of fun before reality reals me back in!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I believe that I had the problem with the clutch lever too. I used the bushing that came with the lever, and clutch slipped. I swapped the oem lever back on and the clutch was fine. The factory bushing is pretty worn out. I might just try drilling the hole deeper on the new bushing and see if I can make that work. I would just buy a new bushing but $5 + $6 shipping on just a bushing is a little more than I want to spend on something so cheap and small.

Ok dumb question to add to this thread since it has me thinking of buying the levers. The Ebay advert states in the title it is for all Vmax years but then further in the description it states it is only good for Gen 1 2000 and up... Since multiple people are already using these and well pretty much everyone on this site is more knowledgeable about the Vmax than I am, will these work on an '85?

...if they will work here is dumb question number two. Since I have done any sort of lever swap on a bike before should I plan on having extra fluids on hand before doing the swap? I am assuming that some will leak out of the reservoirs during the swap but like I said I have never even considered pulling the levers off before.

Thanks!
As far as I know the master cylinders are the same fro all year Gen 1's but you might want to ask Sean Morley to confirm that.
The levers I have worked perfectly on my 2000, Eric's 2007 and jagco1's 1992.
You don't open the master cylinders when changing the levers so No fluid is lost.

I believe that I had the problem with the clutch lever too. I used the bushing that came with the lever, and clutch slipped. I swapped the oem lever back on and the clutch was fine. The factory bushing is pretty worn out. I might just try drilling the hole deeper on the new bushing and see if I can make that work. I would just buy a new bushing but $5 + $6 shipping on just a bushing is a little more than I want to spend on something so cheap and small.
Have you looked at any local hardware/auto parts stores for a similar bushing you could use.
You could probably find one you could adapt (cut down or whatever) for that.
Which Exact Levers do you have ?

From what I see the guys that used the Exact same levers Eric, jagco1 and I have
didn't have that issue but the guys that bought different ones did.

I bought some recently from the same seller. Still in route from China. They are a different color, but hopefully the same model. Time will tell, I will update this thread after the attempted install. Going with drag bar , Kuryakyn Iso, riser, and new adjustable levers.

As far as I know the master cylinders are the same fro all year Gen 1's but you might want to ask Sean Morley to confirm that.
The levers I have worked perfectly on my 2000, Eric's 2007 and jagco1's 1992.
You don't open the master cylinders when changing the levers so No fluid is lost.

Have you looked at any local hardware/auto parts stores for a similar bushing you could use.
You could probably find one you could adapt (cut down or whatever) for that.
Which Exact Levers do you have ?

From what I see the guys that used the Exact same levers Eric, jagco1 and I have
didn't have that issue but the guys that bought different ones did.

Thanks Dman!

I bought some recently from the same seller. Still in route from China. They are a different color, but hopefully the same model. Time will tell, I will update this thread after the attempted install. Going with drag bar , Kuryakyn Iso, riser, and new adjustable levers.
When you get them check the Black part on each lever, the Clutch side should have L51 stamped on it and the Brake side should have R45 stamped on it.
Those are the numbers we know fit without modification.

Last edited:
Back