Caught fire while riding!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is crazy, glad you are OK and the damage was minimal!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Any idea how it started? Fuel line got a crack in it and under pressure hit the exhaust? Then I guess the starter solenoid fused the contacts as the housing melted, upgrade to a higher grade of fuel line, stainless steel wrapped teflon?
I hope you get what you need in short order.

Sorry to hear- the same happened to me after i tried to ride my 1987 gsxr 1100 home from a wrecking yard 40 miles away. It was stolen 2 days before and the thief (mike zimmerman) changed the fuel line to some blue see through line.
It caught fire because it would only run on three cylinders and i just wanted to get it home. 2 blocks from my house i feel warm on my thigh and look down to see fire.
I also got the seat off and a guy driving by pitched his water bottle to me but not enough. A lady who did not speak english was looking out of her window in an apartment building and i could see a fire hose encased in glass. She could not understand me when i asked her to buzz the door. Needless to say the bike burned to the ground and i walked away with a seat in my hand.
I spent more than $8000 building it and $4000 the purchasing it. It topped out at 202mph in bonneville. It can be seen in my photos. I didn't take it to hard as you can see there are 2 more behind it to console me. The judge gave me restitution of $2650 as that was the bluebook on it at the time and mike got ten years but for reasons other than just stealing the bike.
He was hospitalized after stealing a car and running from the police in las vegas, running a light and killing a girl passenger. I have received $155 in restitution and now no one knows where he is today.
If i can help in any way PLEASE let me know- I have learned it is better to give.

Damn that's scary o.o

Glad you're alright and hopefully you can find all the parts you need!

I have two front ignition wires that go from the coils to the plugs if you'd like them (just given to me by another member), and 2 used rear ones! Let me know if you need them and I'll send them over.

Goodluck with making her better than new!

Just curious Wayne Z, did you install aftermarket fuel pump from eBay that you posted a few months ago. I got one for a spare, so maybe I might not use it now.

Nope, hadn't installed it yet. Might have caught the problem, whatever it was, If I had. The fuel end of the pump is intact, so I still may try to use it's end plate on the aftermarket pump.

To everyone else: Thanks for the replies and well wishes. Not freaked much about it, I feel like I got off light, plus I have 3 other good but not as exciting bikes to ride whil I'm fixing this one.

Tonight I will post a more complete list of things needed to get it roadworthy again.

Wayne

Any idea how it started? Fuel line got a crack in it and under pressure hit the exhaust? Then I guess the starter solenoid fused the contacts as the housing melted, upgrade to a higher grade of fuel line, stainless steel wrapped teflon?
I hope you get what you need in short order.

Not sure yet on how it started, but I suspect a fuel leak of some kind, or something got against the exhaust maybe. Will know more after closer inspection this evening. The solenoid is unharmed. The wire bundle melted together is what activated the solenoid

Ghost Rider / the Prequel :biglaugh:
Seriously though.. Glad you're OK, and not too much damage..
Now you got me wondering, how old is my fuel line? I changed out the one from the tank but the one leading to the carbs, with the nylon wrap, might be getting up in age.:ummm:

Ghost Rider / the Prequel :biglaugh:
Seriously though.. Glad you're OK, and not too much damage..
Now you got me wondering, how old is my fuel line? I changed out the one from the tank but the one leading to the carbs, with the nylon wrap, might be getting up in age.:ummm:

In case you start checking Ron Ayers is the cheapest on fuel lines right now. I just finished looking up all 3 hose & the 2 clamps from the pump to carb. Prices are after shipping. 1 . Cheap cycle parts $ 50.44 2. Boat.net $ 40.45 3. Ron Ayers $ 38.07

I have a complete stock 85 seat in excellent shape I'd be willing to donate to the cause, just cover the shipping and it's yours.

OK guys, thanks for all the replies. LOL Ghost rider was also brought up by my local buds.

Here's a list of the parts I still need:

Stock seat front and mid section, or a nice aftermarket one.

Rubber overflow cup for fuel filler neck.

Coolant overflow bottle.

Stock overflow tube from rad cap to bottle.

Rear head to thermostat coolant hose.

Plastic rear head cowling with 1 triangle plug boot fixture.

One rear plug wire and stock plug boot.

Left stock mirror

Left blinkers and pedistals.

So, if anyone has any of this stuff and wants to deal, please PM me here or on my phone 225 245 0119.

Thanks, Wayne Z

Rubber overflow cup for fuel filler neck.
Coolant overflow bottle.
Stock overflow tube from rad cap to bottle.
Rear head to thermostat coolant hose.
Plastic rear head cowling with 1 triangle plug boot fixture.
One rear plug wire and stock plug boot.
Left stock mirror
Left blinkers and pedistals.

So, if anyone has any of this stuff and wants to deal, please PM me here or on my phone 225 245 0119.

Thanks, Wayne Z

I'll send all the parts that I left above for the cost of shipping. Will be most of what you need. Just need to email me at [email protected]

Sean

Here are some pics of the redone seat and the stocker that I have.

Attachments

• vmax profile.jpg
    vmax profile.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20131125_173047 (2).jpg
    IMG_20131125_173047 (2).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20130907_214212.jpg
    IMG_20130907_214212.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20130902_140901.jpg
    IMG_20130902_140901.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 27
I have a perfect condition standard (07) air box and a pretty nice black and red stitched V-Max logo'd seat cover, also have a pair of brake and clutch levers and some nice turn signals if any of that stuff got damaged.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, Davesax and everyone else. I have been offered very generous deals and freebies and made a couple good Ebay purchases, for most all the stuff I need to get her back roadworthy again.

Again, thanks all for the generous offers and support.

Word of sage advice: We shoud all take a frequent closer inspection of all the hardware of these older bikes, and keep the fuel lines and pump area in perfect order with fresh lines, tight joints and electrical connections.

High voltage, low voltage and fuel systen all packed in a tight area just under your crotch is asking for trouble if neglected.

Regards,
Wayne Z

I bought my first vmax 3 months ago and the first thing i did when i got it home was take the seat off to check the load on the battery.When i saw the fuel line, gas tank, fuel filter, electric fuel pump in the same area as the battery, coils, stater relay, i thought "WHY"?

Latest posts

Back