Caught fire while riding!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my first vmax 3 months ago and the first thing i did when i got it home was take the seat off to check the load on the battery.When i saw the fuel line, gas tank, fuel filter, electric fuel pump in the same area as the battery, coils, stater relay, i thought "WHY"?

Good thought, crossed my mind too. The Japanese designers had a lot of confidence in their designs, rightfully so, and probably were more concerned with making a fast cheap muscle bike, and not safety issues of 30 year old failing parts.
So the responsibility is on us to be especialy knowledgable and dilligent
about maintenence of older machines for safety's sake.

I am going to experiment with a Mikuni vacuum pulse powered fuel pump made for an ultralight or snowmobile engine, on my Vmax. Prolly work fine powered by the pulse from one of the vacuum taps. Would have to put a squeeze bulb or plunger primer somewhere to prime the carbs before starting, after sitting a day or more. I used one to power a Continental A-75 164 cu. in. engine on my last experimental plane, powered by the exhaust pulse of one cyl, with no problems at all.
Might be a cheap and safe alternative, and one less electrical device and circuit to fail amongst all the fuel plumbing.

I will start another thread about the fuel pump experiment, and I encourage other gearheads to give it try it too, I'm 99% sure this will work fine, if you don't mind having a squeeze bub, or a plunger pump.

Wayne Z

Hey Sean, I sent you couple of PM's and my account shows 0 sent. Did you get my PM's?

Wayne Z

Lucky man Wayne Z......

I wasn't so lucky back in 2000(ish) with my ol FJ1200...

2 of us on a night ride to Devon (UK)...100mph+ cruising speeds at 2.00am....
Filled up and was almost back on motorway from sliproad when my headstock was alight !!

By the time I ran back to servo for an extinguisher the fuel had spewed from the breather pipe and whooosh.....INFERNO.

Fire out....me sitting there scratching head when WHOOSH...up she went again...fuel on hot motor.

So after the 2nd extinguisher had done its job a (brave) stranger got the 3rd one and held the nozzle by by shoulder whilst I removed the fuel tank..

I'll never forget the servo lady approaching me and asking for my details to invoice me for the extinguishers used....6000 UK Pound bike smouldering and she's after 20 quid....she turned to walk away...and then returned...very insistent.....

After a detailed description of where the 3rd ex. nozzle would go she decided to back off....

Luckily it was insured as full custom frame bike....

Attachments

• Burnt out FJ1200.jpg
    Burnt out FJ1200.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 23
Hey Sean, I sent you couple of PM's and my account shows 0 sent. Did you get my PM's?

Wayne Z

First....there is a button that you have to click saying that you want a copy of sent PM's. Second, the best way to get Sean.....is email. Here is his email address. [email protected]

Sean would have so many PM's that it would be difficult to keep track of everything. Hope this helps.

Napa sells a high temperature sleeve material to go around wires near headers, I had a roll of the stuff, it's braided and also has a high temp silicone rubber coating, perhaps putting the fuel line inside?
I know there Is limited room but what about the idea of a mechanical master disconnect switch? Not that I see I see its needed, but an option, also a theft deterrent.
Doesn't the Vmax have a bank angle switch?, I know my goldwings have them, if bike goes on its side the electric fuel pump shuts off.

My first thought would be the T-pipe cracked open, the rubber hose that feeds all the carbs. Wayne send me your Paypal addy so I can donate a little money to help with expenses. I don't have any of the parts you need, but would like to donate towards the repair..........Joe

I don't recall seeing a bank-angle shutoff switch for the fuel pump in the electricals list.

As part of preventative maintenance, replacing fuel lines on a 25 year-old bike is a good idea, same for the brakes. Sleeves may prevent chafing, but a properly-routed line shouldn't in the 1st place. If it's used, who knows what a prior owner did? I always check out things like throttle cables, clutch cables/lines, and brake lines, as-well as the electrical harnesses when I buy a new to me used bike. I've caught some dodgy fixes, and it's ownership security. How many of us have inspected brake pads and found that the screech was because the backing plate was the only thing left, which also means the rotor is done? That should be pretty-obvious, as the rotor should look like hills and dales, and the brakes should howl/screech, and not work better than the Flintstone Method of stopping.

In nearly 50 years of ownership of cars, trucks, boats and motorcycles, I have had one such incident as is discussed here, a fuel fire. It was on my Ford van I owned for 17 years, it was my daily driver for most of that time, and the small rubber piece into the carb inlet split, and yes, a fire resulted. Fortunately, I was stopped at a light, and saw the results while things were still 'incipient,' as we in the fire service say. An extinguisher from a nearby fellow hauling a boat put it out, and I called a friend to tow the truck back-home, only 5 blocks. When I saw what it was, I had it fixed in 1/2 hour which included checking out any wires in the general vicinity.

Spilled gas fires are pretty-rare, but they do happen, see what's being posted-up. It's another good reason to check things out periodically. What are you doing during those long snowy winters, anyway?
images
images
images

Napa sells a high temperature sleeve material to go around wires near headers, I had a roll of the stuff, it's braided and also has a high temp silicone rubber coating, perhaps putting the fuel line inside?
I know there Is limited room but what about the idea of a mechanical master disconnect switch? Not that I see I see its needed, but an option, also a theft deterrent.
Doesn't the Vmax have a bank angle switch?, I know my goldwings have them, if bike goes on its side the electric fuel pump shuts off.

First....there is a button that you have to click saying that you want a copy of sent PM's. Second, the best way to get Sean.....is email. Here is his email address. [email protected]

Sean would have so many PM's that it would be difficult to keep track of everything. Hope this helps.

I did the pull down menu for sent messages, it says 0 sent and I have sent about 6 to different members recently. I can't verify that they were recieved. Maybe a problem with the forum page?

My first thought would be the T-pipe cracked open, the rubber hose that feeds all the carbs. Wayne send me your Paypal addy so I can donate a little money to help with expenses. I don't have any of the parts you need, but would like to donate towards the repair..........Joe

Nope, T-pipe, carbs and fuel delivery end of fuel pump are intact. The fire was most intense at the motor end of the fuel pump/wiring harness area.

Thanks Joe for the generous offer.

Member, screen name of Sarchin, has sent a PM about my old harness that he needs for parts. I sent A PM back saying ha can have it, but I can't verify my PM's are being delivered.

Member, screen name of Sarchin, has sent a PM about my old harness that he needs for parts. I sent A PM back saying ha can have it, but I can't verify my PM's are being delivered.

I got your PM ..........money sent. I hope this helps Wayne.....Joe

Wayne, I think this was meant for Sarchin...........................
Oh, OK, His name is Joe too, and got y'all mixed up:ummm:
I am very gratefull for yours and everyone else's help and support.

Lucky, are the people who get to participate in such comaraderie, as this group has.
Regards,
Wayne Z.

Oh & I don't think I ever gave you props for trying so hard to put the fire out. I don't seem to get that attached to bikes any more I probably would have kicked it over & called the insurance company & built a new one.:rofl_200:

Oh & I don't think I ever gave you props for trying so hard to put the fire out. I don't seem to get that attached to bikes any more I probably would have kicked it over & called the insurance company & built a new one.:rofl_200:
LOL I tried to just step back and let it burn twice, each time it fell over. But I would look at the thing laying there and think, "but it's only burning in that one little spot," and jump back in the fray. Also, nothing but liability ins. on this one, so all losses were mine.

LOL I tried to just step back and let it burn twice, each time it fell over. But I would look at the thing laying there and think, "but it's only burning in that one little spot," and jump back in the fray. Also, nothing but liability ins. on this one, so all losses were mine.

That makes a slight difference I would have put it out then to.

OK, just a follow up on the incident. I've been removing melted stuff and cleaning soot off the fire area, and the only re-finishing i need is paint touch-up on the frame area there, and prep and re-paint right half of rear valve cover.

Not 100% sure where the fire started, but the hottest area apparent was the end of the fuel pump.

20150223_153456.jpg

Back