Refreshening

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what is going on right now. Heads had a 'clean-up cut' but no bad warpage. Doing the valve lapping now, when done, a bit of de-carboning and reassembly to follow. When the engine is reassembled, it will be sealed-up & sandblasted and painted before reinstallation.

Attachments

• AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 40
  • AA.02.jpg
    AA.02.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 33
  • AA.03.jpg
    AA.03.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 36
Looking good! See now I cant take an engine apart and not doing something radical to it, so good for you! Was something wrong with it, or did it just have high miles?

I got it from Captain Kyle who had run it in the high 10's in the 1/4-mile. Low 20K miles, he said. Since it was out of the bike, I wanted to see how it looked, so it's been partially-torn-down. I spent today doing the valves the old-fashioned way: on the bench grinder/wire wheel. They're done, now to lap them.

It appeared that the engine had never been apart. Don't know that for sure. The intakes had some thicker deposits on them but the exhausts are harder to clean. Wish I had a glass-bead cabinet. And a lift, and a MIG or TIG. But, next-best, have friends who have these. The local Yamaha dealer should have the order of replacement gaskets & miscellaneous parts to reassemble the engine by the first of the week. Then, media-blast it, paint it and re-install it.

I did a valve job like that last year. The best thing I did was buy the right valve spring compressor. It made the job a piece of cake!

In theory yes with cleaning and a coating of thicker metal based paint (like chrome or silver). BUT, I don't generally reuse them myself.

Wow, I would never think of re-using a head gasket, not on these bikes, though I did re-anneal & re-use the two-stroke head gasket on my RT-2 360 Yamaha dirt bike numerous times. It was just a thick, wide copper ring.

OK, here's what I did today after a full day of work at school: hand-lapping. Everything looks good, tomorrow it's a good soak and pressure-wash, and then ready for re-assembly. Note the OEM stuff in the plastic bags in the rear.

There was a little fella who showed-up to watch. I think his name is Geico Gekko

Attachments

• AA.04.jpg
    AA.04.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 27
  • lizard.01.jpg
    lizard.01.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 18
  • lizard.02.jpg
    lizard.02.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 19
Home from the shop!

Got to finish sealing the engine, then sandblast & paint, and install. :clapping:

Attachments

• 89.01.jpg
    89.01.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back