List of motor work that can be done in frame

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerchris

Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering if there is a list of things that can be done to the motor while it is in the frame.I have to change a con rod and can't find out if it can be done with the engine in the frame and if there is a procedure on here for doing it.thanks

I would shoot myself in the head multiple times with .22 CB shorts before I would try to "clock in" the cams/chains to the crank while that engine was in the frame.

The process requires good workable access to the cam chain tensioners, the chain guides, the cam caps and the cam gears.

Pulling the engine is no big deal. You'll have a much more pleasurable experience doing that work if you pull it.

If you pull a head you will have to go through the "clocking" process.

Can it be done on the frame? Probably but don't know for sure.

Valves, wrist pins, clutch, stator, shift segment, hd oil kit (Sean's, I don't know about the PCW one), flywheel... I'm sure there's more. It seems like the only reason you HAVE to pull the motor is to split the cases. A lot of the other stuff is way easier with the motor out, though.

I know the front head can come off with the engine in the frame. The manual says to pull it for everything that's tricky, but most things seem to be possible if you're willing to bear some busted knuckles.

Things I know that you HAVE to pull the motor are transmission work and crank stuff. Those require splitting the case.

I have done the rear head with the engine in the frame (doing a rod change in fact) but not tried the front yet.

Well I started tearing it down in the frame and found the front head won't come off it hits the front frame downtubes.but I am wondering if the motor was all unbolted except for the rear engine mounts maybe it could be lifted in the front of the engine enough to clear the downtubes.has anyone run into this problem or am I missing something.thx

Last edited:
Not sure why one would bother to try a major repair with the engine in the frame. It's quite easy to remove.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes I was in the process of removing it and thought I would try removing the front head and I'm pretty sure the rear head won't come off in the frame it looks to have less room than the front head.and can you just pull the pin out and remove the coolant crossover tube in the head rather than split the chain

My motor has studs for the head but when I went to mrcycles and looked at the motor breakdown the motor had bolts to hold the heads on what one should it be?

Yes I was in the process of removing it and thought I would try removing the front head and I'm pretty sure the rear head won't come off in the frame it looks to have less room than the front head.and can you just pull the pin out and remove the coolant crossover tube in the head rather than split the chain

Spilt the chain?
And then re link it?

No way, that's asking for catastrophic failure.

You have to pull the coolant crossover it's designed for that purpose.

hey guys if you have a bike lift I highly recommend using it to remove the engine,i was all ready to use the floor jack and had my son come out to help me do it and he said use the lift wow what a load off my mind you just slide it under the engine lift and roll the lift back out no worries about it falling off or pinching hands its great.

hey guys if you have a bike lift I highly recommend using it to remove the engine,i was all ready to use the floor jack and had my son come out to help me do it and he said use the lift wow what a load off my mind you just slide it under the engine lift and roll the lift back out no worries about it falling off or pinching hands its great.

True. Careful with the middle gear section. Make sure that you don't drop the swingarm hard or you can crush the oil seal.

Latest posts

Back