I have a few complete! -- COPS --

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: I have a few complete!

Just saw these on Naughty G's bike. I like, I like. His bike doesn't even make a rotation and it fires! Kyle took all my fun money! LOL

Re: I have a few complete!

COPs do that....mine's the same way. Barely touch the starter button and it's running, swear the first compression fires it over. Touch and it's instantly running...the "crank" time is so short as to be virtually un-noticeable.

Wonder exactly why that is though? It's pretty well documented, nearly everyone who swaps in COPs reports faster/easier starting. Hotter spark? More precise timing?

do these improve HP at all?

how much are they?

i could care less if the bike starts faster, but if it makes the bike faster or makes it run better or save gas i'm all for it.

has anyone officially been good with a dyna and these COPs? i know it *should* be fine i just like to make sure.

Both my '89 and '99 start with 1 rev and they have stock coils. Good charging and carbs help IMO.

+1 on the carbs and charge Mark.
What I like about cops is the ease of changing one on the road (or in my shed)somewhere far from home, the price and availability. Ever try to get the front right oem coil out? As for performance gains, I think you'd only notice if your oem stuff was really bad.
Steve

Steve, the convenience and availability is why I want to try them. I have a Dyna 3000 so don't want to fry it and don't want to mess with soldering cermamic resistors.

Steve, the convenience and availability is why I want to try them. I have a Dyna 3000 so don't want to fry it and don't want to mess with soldering cermamic resistors.

i'm in the same boat, but gannon's harnesses have resistors built in.

i'll let gannon chime in with that but i remember his nylon sleeves are rated to 500 deg. check out his threads for pics.

do these improve HP at all?

how much are they?

i could care less if the bike starts faster, but if it makes the bike faster or makes it run better or save gas i'm all for it.

I'd highly doubt you'd get any HP gains unless your current ignition wasn't working right.

However, I also noticed an overall smoother idle and what I can best describe as a "crisper" throttle response across the board.

Plus, the aforementioned convenience. COPs are pretty darn reliable, and if one does happen to die, they're extremely readily available and can be swapped out in minutes rather than hours. PLUS, I got a set of 4 sticks+harness off ebay for $40. Mine came off a 2007 R6 and have the mitsubishi logo stamped near the top. I have 5-6k miles with the COPs and zero issues. Stock ignition, stock NGK plugs, spliced the coils right into original coil wires (no in-line resistors).

Oooh, that's nice to know! What type of resistors? Do I need to worry about heat?

Ok as for the heat issue! When Bon and I had worked on this. Bon doing his testing with a occiliscope on his bike. There was a little heat noticed at the resistor. Now I have not heard from anyone about heat issues that were running the Denso 4400 COP's. I have had only major heat person contact me with heat issues. I looked at his order and he was not using the 4400's. So I sent him out some 4400's at no charge and I have not heard from him since. So I am assuming that the issue has been fixed!

Now as for the quality of materials I have chosen for these harnesses is very good. The sleaving is military grade and the resistor was the smallest compact resistor that we could find that had some awesome performance against heat and break down

G

gannon were u able to track down the person with a 1990+ dyna?

Ok as for the heat issue! When Bon and I had worked on this. Bon doing his testing with a occiliscope on his bike. There was a little heat noticed at the resistor. Now I have not heard from anyone about heat issues that were running the Denso 4400 COP's. I have had only major heat person contact me with heat issues. I looked at his order and he was not using the 4400's. So I sent him out some 4400's at no charge and I have not heard from him since. So I am assuming that the issue has been fixed!

Now as for the quality of materials I have chosen for these harnesses is very good. The sleaving is military grade and the resistor was the smallest compact resistor that we could find that had some awesome performance against heat and break down

G
Good that Fargo started and I finished this up....

Latest posts

Back