Clutch fluid issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liptoss

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with clutch fluid becoming murky? Performed a clutch bleed yesterday and noticed even before opening the lid on the master that the fluid in the window was dark. Performed the bleed, using both Mityvac and traditional methods, the fluid has some sort of suspended darkness in it. I then cleaned the master reservoir since the walls seemed to have a darkish sediment on them.
I'm thinking a problem and I'll need to rebuild the master and slave, or replace them.
OR, is this possibly from the rubber gasket under the reservoir lid? Or heat from the motor has done changed the DOT 4 fluid?
I am also thinking of replacing the masters for both front brake and clutch with aftermarkets.
Anyone have suggestions for a quality manufacturer to mate with my Galfer's? Looking for easy OEM factory bar fit, look and function.

It could be from your clutch lines. I went to braided lines and the dark matter went away.

It sounds like you need to completely bleed the line to get it all out.
Mine are the OEM lines from 2000 and my clutch and brake fluid are clear.

Yep.....replace email the lines.....and completely bleed.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

It seems it has gone the other way on me from what you're saying.
A couple of years ago, I upgraded my 06 clutch to the purple anodized Barnett. A year later I updated all my lines to stainless braided Galfer's. That was not last riding season but the year before.
The entire system was clean and installed with new fluid to go along with the Galfer's. I used the Mityvac for the double banjo Galfer brake as well as the clutch.
I bled the clutch at the beginning of last summer and noted the off tint, gray, in the fluid. I didn't clean the master reservoir walls at that time. Duh! This time I have and I'll see where it goes.

Latest posts

Back