How hard is it to change the Thermostat?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you guys are talking about isn’t a thermostat it’s a thermister, are there any threads detailing how to change the thermostat that is at the base of the engine under the exhausts?

I recently had a coolant leak in the thermostat housing, and found out that the easier way to get to it was to remove the headers and the hose that goes from the thermostat housing to the radiator (lower). Make sure to flush the coolant first of all.
After that, you have plenty of room to remove the two screws that hold the housing and to remove it. I took the oportunity to clean the sealing (housing/cover contact) area.
In my case, what failed was the o-ring that goes in the housing. Installed a new one and fixed the issue!

Removing the headers is not that difficult, just need to remove the 4 nuts (2 in each pipe) that hold the headers, and under the mufflers there are two clamps that need to be loose (1 per each pipe/muffler). The tricky part is that you need to wiggle side-to-side/up and down gently and patiently in order to loose the pipes to the clamps on the mufflers, because most likely those will be stuck.

Regards!

Latest posts

Back