Clear coat coming off

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman504

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me an easier way to get clearcoat off
of my sissy bar and stock grab handle other than wet sanding? I have literally sanded my fingerprints off of some of my fingers on my right hand doing part some of it. :mad:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367911906899.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367911906899.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 39
I bought this orange stuff from aces.. it didn't burn you if you got it on you and it worked. Or any gel stripper should work. Klean strip is some amazzing stuff tho!! Don't get it on your skin lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think the aircraft stripper would be the easiest & least-messy. I think you could also use a [bicarbonate of] soda blaster. If you search under that term, you will find some threads on it.

I found it at lowes or Home Depot. Used generally as furniture stripper. Or at autozone or Walmart in body repair where the bondo can be found.

Look for the "least green" product you can find.

I bought this orange stuff from aces.. it didn't burn you if you got it on you and it worked. Or any gel stripper should work. Klean strip is some amazzing stuff tho!! Don't get it on your skin lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I used aircraft stripper and dish washing gloves. Good Stuff
Yes, use gloves, in an open area and a respirator if at all possible. There are precautions on the "How to use" portion of the can.

the rustoluem brand stuff works really well:

AU_AircraftRemover_18oz_L.jpg

Factory clear coat can be a pain as they bake it on the metal parts (I think)...also hard to tell if ya get it all...I know because I pre-bake my parts before powdering...regardless of what I use there always seems to be some left on the part (turns brown when cooked at 400 degrees).

Everything mentioned will work...you just might need a few applications...

The trick doing this in 1 shot not multiple times is completley saturate it spray or brush on ( I like brush on it goes on thicker & weter) & wrap parts in a plastic bag so NO air gets to it . Let sit up to a 1/2 hour rinse ,scrub w/ wire brush n your done!!!!

I always use that orange gel from Home Depot. Doesn't hurt skin, not toxic at all. The gel helps it stay on the parts. Just spread on and leave for a while. The clearcoat kinda shrivels up and wipes off with a paper towel. May take another application as hard to keep from gradually sliding off. I just reapply the gel that slides off and rotate the parts till all the clearcoat is off. Think has "citrus" somewhere on the label. I use a plastic tub so can reuse what falls off.

Latest posts

Back