New here, 98Vmax MOD questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98VMax71

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a 98 runs great and I am ready to do some mods. I just ordered VooDoo exhaust and I am considering doing a carb kit and K&N filters. I live in Colorado and have been told to not do the carb kit.... due to our elevation. Any Ideas??? :ummm:

Typically the higher in elevation you will have to go leaner on the main jets, typically 150's.....or 147.5's. So with the elevation, I would probably go to 147's right off the bat. When you say K&N filters.....do you mean a replacement filter into the airbox.....or pod filters?

I'd say that Sean Morley's Muscle jet kit, w/air filter, is a good way to go as you can consult w/him if you need assistance fine-tuning settings.

I agree 147.5 mains are probably indicated right off the bat, given the Mile-High City.

Typically the higher in elevation you will have to go leaner on the main jets, typically 150's.....or 147.5's. So with the elevation, I would probably go to 147's right off the bat. When you say K&N filters.....do you mean a replacement filter into the airbox.....or pod filters?
Hey, thanks for the tip! I am looking at the K&N pods. With doing the exhaust now do I have to do the carbs and the filters or should I wait to see how she runs after the exhaust install?

I'd say that Sean Morley's Muscle jet kit, w/air filter, is a good way to go as you can consult w/him if you need assistance fine-tuning settings.

I agree 147.5 mains are probably indicated right off the bat, given the Mile-High City.
Stupid question, whats the difference between dinojet and Morleys? I Googled Morley and couldn't find anything. How do I contact?

You don't need a jet kit if you don't want to spend the money on one. If you put a full exhaust on the bike, you could get by with smaller main jets and maybe a shim on your needles. I'd guess 145 main jets. Always buy a few sizes to tune with.

DynoJet Stage 7 or the "muscle jet kit" are the only 2 jet kits worth buying. Don't piss your money away on a stage 1.

Difference between the two:
MJK is based on the stock airbox but has a modified lid that holds a big K&N panel filter. Crankcase breather connects back to airbox. Float bowl vents go in stock location. This kit is a little bit cheaper than stg7. Top end HP is equivalent to stg7. Low/mid range is a bit better with the MJK. I guess that has to do with retaining the velocity stacks I'm the airbox. Sean Morley is a forum vendor, site contributor, and a vmax guru. He has great customer service too.

DJ stg7 uses pod filters, needs a little ouke tank for the breather, vent tubes get stuffed into the pods. Takes up less space under the faux. A bit more money. A bit softer mid/low range.

Both kits come with stage 7 needles, slide springs, multiple jets, air restrictors, drill bit for the slides, etc..

Sean can get you about anything you'd ever need or want for a vmax. He sells both jet kits. Genuine mikuni jets and shims if you don't want a kit. OEM, aftermarket, or custom parts of all kinds. New and used. You can email him [email protected]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What he said. I live at 3000' and ride well above that. Mine is a 99 that is stock other than a Kerker 4-2-1 and the Morleys Jet Kit. I'm running 147.5 mains in mine. Works great!

Latest posts

Back