Hand shields

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THMAX98

Reaction score
If you are thinking of heated hand grips may be try these hand shields ,I found with the heated grips tips of me fingers still froze,hands still got wet of coarse but not with these, dry hands ,no wind chill ,thumbs up :eusa_dance:IMG266.jpg

Garrett had guards on his vmax, I believe, from a dirt bike. Not a bad idea if you're riding in the cold. I've got First Gear heated gloves, but that's a lot of wire for me. They're nice gloves for touring even not plugged in.

they are storm bark busters that clamp onto the handle bars,just bought them from our local bike shop ,one of the great things is that you can buy the shields separately if they get damaged

The mounting diagrams that I have seen for Barkbusters show two set screws that connect the handlebar insert to an aluminum brace that holds the plastic shield in place. Removing the machine screws would allow removal but would leave a small right angle bracket as the handlebar end.
The FJR guys say this setup is good down to 36F with medium weight riding gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are these the single mounted ones to the handlebars or do they mount both witht the handlebar clamps and the bar end too?
barkbusters_storm_handguard_kit.jpg

I have a set of hand shields on both bikes for winter riding. On the VMax I have Tusk Hand Mitts and on my VStar1300 I have a set from Superbike, I think. The superbike ones are similar to the Hippo Hands brand only a fraction of the price. They have a fun-fur lining and are water resistant, quite good at blocking the wind and I can wear lightweight gloves until it gets really cold. The Tusk Hand Mitts are a bit more spartan as they are not lined. They do have a flexible metal sewn into the opening for easier access to the grips. These too are excellent to keep out the wind and rain, made from cordura I think. These were only $20 and well worth it. Both hand mitts did require some mods to fit right without air leakage but then you can spend $100 to get Hippo Hands made for your specific bike. When I use my heated gloves with these mitts it makes for a warm comfy ride. I can post pics if anybody is interested.

Heated gloves and something to block the wind and moisture makes a better combination. In 20° riding ya need all the help you can get.

Latest posts

Back