Bleeding hell!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001MAX5150

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thought I would share a Vmax story with you.

I live in Chicago, Plainfield actually. I was working on my Jeep last Sunday and I brought the Max out to sun in the driveway.
Anyway, i finished with the Jeep and decided to take the bike out for a 15 mile run for a burger and beer. She started up and I let it warm up for a while. Got my jacket and pulled in the clutch and hit first gear. She died. I noticed the clutch was completely dead. Same thing with the front brake. the fluids were above the window 3 weeks or so ago since it got cold.
So far I have only bled bike brakes once. I was taken aback by this as it has never happened before.

Could it be cold related?? But the lowest its been is 20. That's nothing to Chicago folks!

Thanks
Joe

Ive ridden in some good ol' down home South Dakota cold, maybe high 20s (super fucking cold on a bike) and all I noticed was the levers were maybe a tad stiff at first. At that temperature most petrol feels lile molasses. Never had them do that, any chance some moisture got in? DOT 3 and 4 draw moisture pretty quickly if the system is left open. Also just throwing this out but maybe old hoses, sometimes they can fall apart from the inside out, maybe in the cold the thick fluid resists flow through a hose with impaired patancy. What happens if you warm it with a heat gun or hair dryer, assuming the bike is still frozen. I know mine is!

Just throwing stuff out and hope it helps. Ive long been an all weather rider and have never had exactly what you describe. Hope it gets sorted and you can ride!

Fluid got water contaminated and froze?

Juice clutches and brakes can feel a little stiff in cold weather, and occasionally the clutch can "stick" enough to stall the engine even when the clutch is pulled (super thick oil kind of glues the clutch stack together, but the initial jerk of stalling the engine almost always breaks it loose). But that wouldn't explain the brake going out.

Latest posts

Back