m-cman's luggage rack bracket fabrication

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
This is not my fabrication, I hope m-cman doesn't object to my placing his work here, but I thought that this should be saved before it was deleted in a thread by Captain Kyle for his sissy bar luggage rack sale.

The fabrication looks to be fairly straightforward, and is obviously of more-substantial material, and a better finish than the stock brackets. Be inspired!

"I had a custom set of brackets made and had them chromed. Always hated the height of the rack so my custom brackets lowered the rack 2" to just above the reflector. Have a light replacing the reflector so didn't want to cover it."

A clean, substantial install, and I like the paint!

That is fine. I went to a metal fabrication shop with the stock brackets and instructions to match the brackets but lower them 2". Spent some time describing what I wanted and they did a decent job. I cleaned them up and rounded all the edges and had them chromed. As I said, never liked how high the stock brackets raised the rack. Always looked funky to me. Lowering 2" is just about right to still be able to see the reflector.

Funny thing is, I have tried every backrest/luggage rack combo available over the years. OEM, Renn-Tech, MEK, HAC, Five-Star, etc. Finally settled on the one by our very own MtnMax/Magniac (sp?). Found a used one on eBay as am in miser mode right now. :biglaugh: I wanted a large rack so I could use a Givi trunk for trips. Since I have a Corbin seat, I use the Corbin backrest if have a passenger. If no passenger or trunk, the look is better with just the rack and no backrest. The backrest that comes with the rack gets in the way of mounting the trunk. All in all, the best solution I have found for my specific needs. Don't have any pics. Will try to get some next time I am at my storage unit.

My paint job was done by Jason Small, a local painter that is well known. He had done two bikes for me. Remember when the museum in England burned down a few years ago? The World Speed Record Triumph built by Jack Wilson at Big D Triumph was practically destroyed. It was rebuilt, sent to Dallas and Jason did the paint job back to the original design. Them shipped back to England. He does beautiful work but is always back-logged. He specializes in restorations but can do anything.

Latest posts

Back