How to Remove Stock Mufflers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikedave99

Reaction score
So, after I pulled my rear wheel and all of the associated hardware, it was time to pull the stock mufflers off. Keep in mind that you do not have to remove the wheel to do this, I just had it off because the next step was swingarm removal. Oh, and most of the visible moisture is water as I washed it right before in an attempt to keep myself mildly cleaner.

As a frame of reference, this is where I am starting:
Picture112.jpg

First thing you will need to do is loosen the four exhaust clamps down under the bike. These hold the mufflers to the headers. Here are those clamps, hard to take pictures of, but there are four of them:
Picture113.jpg

And the others:
Picture116.jpg

Next up you will remove the bolts hanging the mufflers to the passenger footrest brackets:
Picture117.jpg

Next, take 5 minutes to make a futile attempt at pulling off the mufflers:
Picture118.jpg

Then next step is to realize that there is one more bolt up under the exhaust holding it to the frame. Remove that bolt:
Picture119.jpg

Then just stand behind the bike, and gently pull/wiggle the mufflers off and set them down:
Picture120.jpg

And here is the business end of it:
Picture121.jpg

The next step is the most important of all. FIRE IT UP!!!! It will renew your faith in that V4 to hear it rumbling out the straight pipes. Can you say LOUD?!

Last edited:
Won't hurt a thing, just runs richer... Sounds Cooler than Shit Too.... Like a V-8 Stock Car....

Great Thread here BTW bikedave99.....

Indeed, there is no need to remove the rear wheel to do this. I will go ahead and edit that into the verbiage at the top of the page to make it clearer. There are a lot of times it seems like when I pull a lot of excess parts off the bike and figure out later the simpler method... but, the way I see it, I learned more! Sometimes, the extra digging reveals other issues or things that might become an issue. I don't know how many times I have found little hidden wires that are nearly broken or have been pinched. I just like to know my bike!

It may not be needed but it sure makes it A LOT easier to remove that boat anchor of a collector from the bike. Considering the amout of effort required to pull the OEM rear wheel, I do not hesitate to remove it for easier access.

Well I got me some stockers to replace my Cobras and I can not get them on with the tire on, so looks like I'm gonna learn me how to take off the rear wheel...

Well I got me some stockers to replace my Cobras and I can not get them on with the tire on, so looks like I'm gonna learn me how to take off the rear wheel...

Its a heavy son of a gun, and taking the rear wheel on and off is pretty easy if you still have your center stand. Now, pulling off and reinstalling the swingarm..... that makes one get a little colorful!

Thanks for posting. I've heard things about running bikes w/o mufflers,that the valves get burned up. Maybe due to less heat dissipation. I ran my victory w/o the mufflers (I had to take them off to get the rear wheel off for a tire change.) and it sounded about the same @ low rpm anyway.
Will my response bring this thread to the front page? lol we'll see....

Ok, I undid all three mounting bolts... loosened all four clamps... and three of the tubes came off the headers... but the one for the back, left cylinder WILL NOT FUCKING COME OFF! No matter how much I pull or wiffle the goddamn muffler around.

HOW THE HELL am I gonna get this damn exhaust off?

Ok, I undid all three mounting bolts... loosened all four clamps... and three of the tubes came off the headers... but the one for the back, left cylinder WILL NOT FUCKING COME OFF! No matter how much I pull or wiffle the goddamn muffler around.

HOW THE HELL am I gonna get this damn exhaust off?

On mine...I REALLY had to wiggle the exhaust up and down to get it off!!!

Besides heating it, as I suggested in another post, w/a propane torch, two people, one on each piece, will help. You could also use a large block of wood, like a 2 X 4" and a hammer to provide some 'impact persuasion.' If you were worried about damaging the muffler, use a jig saw to put a radius on the end of the 2 x 4 to give it a larger bearing area on the muffler housing. I suggest having someone hold the pipe while you whack the muffler w/the wood block.

On mine...I REALLY had to wiggle the exhaust up and down to get it off!!!

Back