VMax to Venture engine swap....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mefirst

Reaction score
Long story short... My VMax engine started having a bad knock after runing dry, I layed the bike on its side (had an accident) and with throttle stuck WFO and no oil circulation... Bike also suffered some cosmetic damage, those are fixed, the engine got the worst from the accident.. well if I dont take into concideration my broken wrist and two fingers...

Any way...

Thought Id post pics and things about doing the swap.. and I will probably also have some questions myself on things that will have me go :bang head:

I did not take pics about pulling out the engine from the frame and stuff you need to do before getting to the "pull the engine"part...

This thread starts at the point when you unbolt the heads, its easy.. Just follow the Haynes manual, or do it like me, forget the Haynes book at home and just start to unbolt stuff, its not that complicated. The complicated part is bolting everything back together...

One thing has to be said. Unbolting the headbolt nuts is a Motherfu...rrrrr.. Get a good quality 8mm Allen head socket, prefferable a socket ment for power/air tool, this kind of socket wont crack.. and you wont end up messing up the Allen nuts.. Also use a long socketwrench or a long braker bar, to get enought leverage to "shock" the nut open... so, the nuts are tight, take care with this job and use the correct and good tools, this way you wont end up cursing....

..I also dont understand why they didnt use Torx or Splined nuts :ummm:

This is about as far as I got with this project... Ill continue to update this thread as things progress...

Thanks for the interest :punk:

/Tom

Attachments

• 10983456_10152711908505678_7835189911091120278_o.jpg
    10983456_10152711908505678_7835189911091120278_o.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 10866090_10152711909045678_6170202280391036001_o.jpg
    10866090_10152711909045678_6170202280391036001_o.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Have you tried a hand impact socket tool first? The one you hit with a hammer? I have found that with just a whack or two you can easily break it loose, obviously yes good bits are required, and several of them, grind it down if it gets rounded, and I suspect there may be aftermarket head bolts that are better.
Good luck with the project, I have several Venture bikes, another Vmax even, I was working up on making a Super Venture, has the Venture motor but has Vboost.

Don't forget to swap the pvc part (in the center between the heads). Shift shaft will need swapped and either reuse your vmax side covers or swap the bushing location from the stator cover to the mid gear cover on the venture covers.

Swap the flywheel from your vmax engine as well as the pickup coil.

Sean

Thanks for the replys :punk:

Silverado6x6* I did give the nuts a cupple of whacks with a metal rod before going at them with the socket, worked out great. I only messed up once, with the first nut, did not think the nuts would be so tight, used a kinda low quality socket, cracked the socket and messed up the Allen nut a little, fortunately I had a Torx socket that held up. Went and bought the impact socket after that. No more problems....

One2dmax Sean* Ive read alot of your replys in threads, its so cool you share the knowledge - Thanks!

Ive read al the threads I could find here about the Venture engine swap, those threads helped alot, thank you to those who posted in them!

One thing, I have some :confused2: its the shiftshaft swap? That job has me puzzled. Then again I havent yet unbolted the shifter side cover, taken a look under it to see how the shiftshaft thing is mounted?

-Can you just pull out the shaft and is there another hole to move it into, so that it lines up with the VMax cover??? Havent figured that one out yet :ummm:

Ill pull the PVC box, flywheel and pickup, the low oil warning sender, the shiftshaft, move over the side covers and the neural safty switch. -Have I forgot something?

:punk:
/Tom

You remove the clutch inner/outer basket then you can lift the shift link arm and simply pull it out.

You remove the clutch inner/outer basket then you can lift the shift link arm and simply pull it out.

Ill take a look and Ill figure it out. Ill also take some pictures for future refrence.

/Tom :git:

We have tons of pics in our facebook albums. The RS album has a lot of pics under there. Might want to consider a heavy duty oiling install while you are going in there and the engine is out.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153100392298679.1073741844.282702488678&type=3

Sean

Ive "Liked" your Facebook page some time ago and been checking out your work/projects every time there is a new picture posted..

I have thought about adding the Heavy duty oiling system, also wonder if you have a kit, something like a Power Comander kit and al the stuff needed to rebuild/refresh the carbs?

/Tom

We offer cleaned carbs on an exchange or can sell you the parts we'd normally replace if you wanted to do the work yourself. We do have a Muscle jet kit (no power commander on a carb'd bike). We do also sell an ignitech unit that is fully programmable though if you wanted rev limiters and many other cdi and accessory program controls.

Sean

Update...

Spent some hours in the garage again.. Unbolted stuff from the VMax engine.

Pic 1-2. Ill begin with the waterpump assembly. Does the cover/pump fit the Venture engine? The pump shaft feels a little tight to turn by hand, it does not wiggle or have any loose sideway movement, so I guess that makes it ok, right :ummm: well according to the Haynes book...

Pic 3-5. I noticed that there seems to have been a little contact with piston-intakevalves in the number 3 cylinder, nothing broken though. The contact seems to only have been so light, that it "cleaned" the soot of the valve-piston at the contact point... It also seems that the cylinder has gone lean, the exhaust valves are so white... I also wonder if this contact was making the weird knocking sound.. or more like its a loose chain???

(Click the pic for video)

Then again this does not explane the lack of oilpressure.. well if the rod or mainbearing is messed up, yes.. -Correct?

Pic 6. Front cylinder head

Pic 7-8. Ok, so this is the shifterthing that has me puzzled. To get to the shiftshaft I need to remove the big bearing and tinker with the small parts under it?

The silver part, between the flywheel and the big bearing, where the clutch fluid line goes, is that also something I need to move over to the other engine?

The thing with the white plastic cover, thats the neutral safety switch - correct? Does it also need to be moved over to the other engine or do I just use the one already bolted to it?

Pic 7. Is there anything else I need to unbolt and move over to the Venture engine, other than the flywheel thats still bolted to the engine?

Thats it for now... Thanks for the interest :git:

/Tom :Nixon:

Attachments

• IMAG0604.jpg
    IMAG0604.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0605.jpg
    IMAG0605.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0603.jpg
    IMAG0603.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0606.jpg
    IMAG0606.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0607.jpg
    IMAG0607.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0608.jpg
    IMAG0608.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0602.jpg
    IMAG0602.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0600.jpg
    IMAG0600.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 65
Move over your nuetral switch and your oil level switch. The venture switch would work and give you additional contacts if you wanted to make a lighted board that indicates the various gears (it works by completing a ground path). The oil level switch works opposite for the Ventures then the Vmax so swap it or your oil light will be on all the time.

The water pump is exactly the same other then color so no reason to move it over unless you want the black part and are not painting the other one.

The valves hit the piston because the piston came up too high due to spun bearing. You can see the indention of the "IN" from the piston into the head now. Pretty common for this to happen. Sometimes the valves are ok but you'd need to check it.

The silver part between the stator/flywheel and mid gear is the clutch slave cylinder. It's also the same but on the Venture it uses a hose and different rounting to connect to the body. You'll want to at least move over the metal "pipe" to the venture slave (or move the whole thing).

The shift shaft is under the clutch which you don't have pictured yet. You have to take off the extra linkage from the venture but the vmax won't need anything extra taken off except the shifter itself to get it out once you get the clutch basket out of the way.

Long time since anything happened in this thread, so here is an update... my excuse is Ive been busy with my Dragrace car... any way...

Been pulling parts from the hurt engine and bolting parts to the "new" (A 1300cc Venture engine). At this point Im just bolting on parts to check that everything works. Next I need to order some parts so I can continue the project, so there is hope that Ill be able to ride my Max when summer arrives again.

The project has been smooth so far, but Im a little worried when the time comes to bolt on the cams and stuff. That stage in the project is in my mind when things can get complicated and that stage is something one does not want to mess up...

Take care...

/Tom :punk:

Attachments

• 20151217_205903.jpg
    20151217_205903.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20151217_230146.jpg
    20151217_230146.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 55
  • 20151217_230131.jpg
    20151217_230131.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 12049222_429873187206130_3917219416719951721_n.jpg
    12049222_429873187206130_3917219416719951721_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 54
I haven't bothered to look for shots of the 'Max engine in silver, with the right tins and other items painted, I think it would be an interesting piece.

I always liked the Honda 305 Superhawk w/a red frame and the silver engine.

ClickHandler.ashx

I bet some people on here have VMax pics with the frame painted other than black, and a silver engine.

We have done that configuration a couple of times and it looks ok.

Long time since anything happened in this thread, so here is an update... my excuse is Ive been busy with my Dragrace car... any way...

Been pulling parts from the hurt engine and bolting parts to the "new" (A 1300cc Venture engine). At this point Im just bolting on parts to check that everything works. Next I need to order some parts so I can continue the project, so there is hope that Ill be able to ride my Max when summer arrives again.

The project has been smooth so far, but Im a little worried when the time comes to bolt on the cams and stuff. That stage in the project is in my mind when things can get complicated and that stage is something one does not want to mess up...

Take care...

I am assuming that dodge has a 440 with a pistol grip shifter?

We have done that configuration a couple of times and it looks ok.

I thought about painting the engine block black, but Ill leave it a Chip Foose "two tone" colour for now... IF the engine runs with out issues, then Ill probably paint it black... Im not that much of a fan of silver/chrome...

I am assuming that dodge has a 440 with a pistol grip shifter?

No pistolgrip, it has a Hurst T-handle shifter.. it does have a 440, though now a 496cid..

That red Honda Superhawk is absolutely gorgeous.
Check out this modified one..

Attachments

• 1978681_613804825355217_259086976_n.jpg
    1978681_613804825355217_259086976_n.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 34
Wow, is that clean! Is it a 600 CBR engine? Not sure, but so-clean! Mine is nowhere like that. Stock engine. I do have a roller 305 Superhawk for parts...

Back