What is the best oil for ouer max – semi or full syntetic?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, sorry, guys.. after I posted that I realized Sean was my best bet. The emails have already started. He offers a stronger spring, about 20% more holding power? Anyone have experience with that? Don't know if I want to go full DD....

^ The stronger Spring works well.
A lot of guys here use that instead of doing the DD mod.

Rotella T is a very popular choice. Does anyone have specs that compare it to dino Yamalube?
Here's a Blackstone report from a Honda Goldwing (not YamaLube, but does compare Honda HP4 with Rotella T and T6).
Oil Analysis Comparisons:
Rotella T 15w-40; Honda Pro HP4 and Rotella T6 5w-40
Over the past six months, I have been trying the following engine oils listed in the attached used engine oil analysis report from Blackstone Laboratories:
•Column A, Dated 8/7/10= Rotella T 15w-40 (dyno)
•Column B, Dated 4/10/10= Honda HP4 10w-40 (semi-synthetic)
•Column C, Dated 1/23/10= Rotella T6 5w-40 (synthetic)

The oil listed in Column A, Rotella T 15w-40 is still in the engine with 3350 miles. I wanted to see how this oil held up in the engine based on South Florida ambient temperatures in the mid 90's.
The high TBN at 6.2 indicates that the oil additives are still very good.
The SUS Viscosity of 68.3 according to Blackstone indicates the oil is still holding its viscosity of 15w-40 and has not sheared down yet like the other oils in columns B and C.
Observations:
I like the oil and its ability to handle peak summer South Florida heat.
I really like how the transmission shifts with minimal clunking and the oil's ability to not shear down so quickly.
However, I will still continue to do oil changes between 4k and 5k.

Attachments

• Blackstone Laboratories Shell Rotella T 15w40 Oil Report 8-11-10.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 9
I have been reading about the bleeding procedures. Sounds like the "reverse bleed" would be easiest for one person to accomplish....?? I see it mentioned but I can't find a how to or write up. Anybody got a link? I've been searching but haven't found the right terms to use I guess...

Looks like my oil/clutch saga is over. I don't know why some of the Vmaxs out there work fine with synthetic oil or specifically Rotella T6. But, mine, after a long 2up ride would barely move under its own power. I thought the clutch had to be toast. Well dropped the brand new T6, let it drain for hours. Refilled with dino Rotella T. After a short ride, no sign of slippage. I'm a believer now, without a doubt.

Thanks sdt354, DMann, and Sean for all your help. You guys rock! Oh, and Sean, Thanks for the quote on the clutch parts. At this point doesn't look like I need to go down that road quite yet.

^ You're Welcome. :D
And I'd guess that the guys that are happy with the Synthetic Oil in a Vmax don't ride hard enough (or with a heavy enough load) to really stress the clutch.
Most of the guys that tried it and switched said they were fine with it until they really got on the throttle and found out the Synthetic will cause the clutch to slip if pushed hard.

^ You're Welcome. :D
And I'd guess that the guys that are happy with the Synthetic Oil in a Vmax don't ride hard enough (or with a heavy enough load) to really stress the clutch.
Most of the guys that tried it and switched said they were fine with it until they really got on the throttle and found out the Synthetic will cause the clutch to slip if pushed hard.

Well, truth be told, I was riding 2up and shutting down some Harley guys that were making a lot of racket. After the clutch started to slip, I rode normal for the rest of the day. But by time I got close to the house it could barely get across an intersection from a stop. I will put a few miles on this oil and change again (its cheap) just to make sure I get all the syn out.

Thanks again. I know it has been said before but this IS the best MC forum on the internet. I'm a member of quite a few, but this one is full of the most helpful people. Shoot, I'm convinced I can change the clutch when it is time! Need to save for a clear cover.

I've been doing a lot of catch up reading. With the oils, are we talking strictly motorcycle oils or are you using auto oil here to. The other thing is the max holds 1 quart of oil at oil change & when some oils are mixed strange things can happen. :ummm:

That is true. You can't get nearly all of it out and some mixing will occur. Most oils today will mix without too much issue but it's still possible. Overall the most commonly recommended (and by me too) oil to use is the Rotella "T" 15W40 (which is normally for a diesel). Again you will get many many opinions on the subject.

Sean

Rotella "T" is running in both my VMax and Roadstar.. 100% happy with the way it works.

Latest posts

Back