Valve cover gasket replacement (and painting the engine)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkoTheSane

Reaction score
I think I'm losing a little oil from the gasket on cylinder 3 (according to Haynes manual, rear, right). I've cleaned it all up today and will apply talc when totally dry to verify that's where it's coming from.

I'm questioning exactly what needs to be done to replace it. The Haynes manual suggests removal of the carbs is necessary as well as draining the coolant.

I've read the excellent sticky on valve adjustment, and don't think it mentioned removing the carbs, and draining the coolant only seemed to be necessary for the front cover because of the obstructive tubing.

Can I get the rear valve cover off without removing carbs and draining coolant, just for gasket replacement? I'll probably end up deciding to do a valve adjustment, but weighing up options at the moment and don't have a good workspace or all the tools necessary.

Secondly, I'm planning on a respray of the engine to improve things cosmetically until I can do it properly. How much of it can be done with the engine in situ? Should header pipes be removed (bit loathe to do that after the saga of replacing them). Anything to consider if attempting painting the engine? Tips for masking things off?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I think it can be done but you'll fight it a lot more then just taking off the carbs and coolant hose (and lifting the valve cover towards the center of the engine and out). Just got doing this (and even removing the rear head) and this was by far the easiest way to go.

Sean

I have the same leak kinda plan on fixing that when I do a valve adjustment this winter if I ever stop riding it.

I sprayed mine with the pipes still on. Actually am kinda impressed with the out come. I used masking tape and news paper wrapped the pipes taped the hoses pretty much had the whole bike covered with paper. Used dupli color engine enamel then clear coated it.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk 2

I have the same leak kinda plan on fixing that when I do a valve adjustment this winter if I ever stop riding it.

I sprayed mine with the pipes still on. Actually am kinda impressed with the out come. I used masking tape and news paper wrapped the pipes taped the hoses pretty much had the whole bike covered with paper. Used dupli color engine enamel then clear coated it.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk 2

Cool, thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

i'd pull the carbs, but def don't have to drain coolant

What is the best way to keep the gasket in place while reassembling the valve cover? Maybe grease on the slot, so it wouldn't fall when upside down?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the best way to keep the gasket in place while reassembling the valve cover? Maybe grease on the slot, so it wouldn't fall when upside down?
Thanks

Two sets of hands is prefered. I have used sealer to hold the gasket, andd thread,which can be pulled out after install too. inspection all the way around the cover is prudent after tightening the cover bolts. Draining the coolant and removing the center hoses makes things go easier.

Thanks

I'm not a big believer in adding sealants and what not to gaskets but, there are some areas I find it necessary.

I used Permatex high tack aerosol. I spray the surface of the gasket that touches the valve cover. Wait a few minutes for it to set up the put the gaskets in the valve cover.

Makes life so much easier!

Don't forget that it's also a good idea to put a SMALL amount of sealant in the half circle cutouts on the block. A black sealant is least noticeable

4a0a9e32c53acddd2335f0c328fb3bdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not a big believer in adding sealants and what not to gaskets but, there are some areas I find it necessary.

I used Permatex high tack aerosol. I spray the surface of the gasket that touches the valve cover. Wait a few minutes for it to set up the put the gaskets in the valve cover.

Makes life so much easier!

Don't forget that it's also a good idea to put a SMALL amount of sealant in the half circle cutouts on the block. A black sealant is least noticeable

4a0a9e32c53acddd2335f0c328fb3bdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I end up using a little grease to hold in place. Needless to say it didn't help at all.
I really wanna finish last night so I had to be very patient to position it. Job done. Let's see if the stop the leaks.
Next... Redo the fork seals after cleaning up scratches and nicks from the inner tubes.

Latest posts

Back