Fuel pump missing diaphragm?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extram

Reaction score
So I have been having issues with my 88 Vmax's fuel pump where before it would cut out when I gave it any throttle and now it doesn't even turn over. I have tried a different fuel pump to the same results AKA not running. It appears to me I am missing both of my little rubber diaphragms inside of the pump seeing as how there is not little tit or any piece that would hold that onto such as this guy's right here.

When I turn the bike on the bowls are supposed to fill up with gas but they aren't and the pump has been pretty much bone dry. I've checked the fuel hoses and nothing is unobstructed but there is no vacuum coming from the pump to suck the fuel into it.

Pics of the inside of the fuel pump

The only thing I haven't checked is the relay and in all honesty I have no idea how to check it o_O I know where it is and I've taken it off but absolutely no clue how to "test" it if there is a way.

Any help would be appreciated!

Well even without the diaphragms, the pump will still run....actually it will click FAST compared to normal.

If its not running at all, that sounds like an electrical issue.

From your pics, it looks as if there is something present inside the tiny diaphragm holes in the center of each end of the pump, albeit, they look really dry. Are you sure there aren't small rubber diaphragms in place? Otherwise, you'd be able to see the mounting hole.

Well even without the diaphragms, the pump will still run....actually it will click FAST compared to normal.

If its not running at all, that sounds like an electrical issue.

Could it be related to the relay? Or is there no way to tell?

I actually already bought that one but even when I put that one in it still didn't click or work. I'm 99% sure it is my relay now.

You can check the relay, to see if its the relay, or some other issue.

Check the pump itself to begin.
Pull apart the connector, run a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the Blue/black terminal on the pump's wiring, then another jumper from the negative post to the black wire terminal. The pump should run.
Cheers!

Back