Need to replace my clutch disks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMechEng

Reaction score
My clutch is starting is slip and I want to replace the disks. While I'm in there I might as well fix that shifting issue earlier Vmaxs have.

My questions is exactly what parts do I need? Here is the list I have so far.

• (8) Plate, Friction 3
    item: 26H-16307-01-00
  • (7) Plate, Clutch 1
    item: 26H-16324-00-00
  • (1) Segment
    item: 4NK-18185-00-00
  • (1) Washer, Lock
    item: 90215-25218-00

I already purchased the case gasket and an EBC pressure plate. Is the segment (item 6) the only part I need to fix the shifting problem that people get?
0_1.png

Clean the disks with carb or brake cleaner, use scotchbrite on steels and go back with the DD mod. You won't have to buy new disks or steels, just the ones needed for the DD mod. Sean Morley has all the segment parts and probably a used clutch spring and extra disk needed for the DD mod. You will have an awesome clutch but the pull of the lever will also be a little harder. If the lever is too hard for you you can buy the PCW heavy duty spring. You will save some $$ doing the DD mod......

Ok so it looks like I also need those 6 dowels. So I will be ok scuffing up the metal disks and reusing them?

I reused the metal disk and the friction disk. Clean the frickion plates with carb or brake cleaner and get the extra parts needed from Sean Morley. After I did mine, I had no problem doing a rolling 2nd gear burn out.

Clean the disks with carb or brake cleaner, use scrothbrite on steels and go back with the DD mod. You won't have to buy new disks or steels, just the ones needed for the DD mod. Sean Morley has all the segment parts and probably a used clutch spring and extra disk needed for the DD mod. You will have an awesome clutch but the pull of the lever will also be a little harder. If the lever is too hard for you you can buy the PCW heavy duty spring. You will save some $$ doing the DD mod......

+1 on a USED extra spring. I think that's good advice Joe. Two newer springs would be very stiff. I love the DD mod and the way the short lever action is with it. Slipping is a thing of the past too. There is a minimum thickness for the fiber disk in the manual. Steels can almost always be reconditioned. Bead blasted or hand sanded like you mentioned, and good to go.
Steve

Plastic media blasting. Gets the glazing off the steels and a nice texture for gripping the new frictions.

Hey man, I think the shift problem you are referring to is with second gear and is inside the case, I am pointing at the problem in the pics shown. Anybody else to advise on this?

Last edited:
My clutch is starting is slip and I want to replace the disks. While I'm in there I might as well fix that shifting issue earlier Vmaxs have.

My questions is exactly what parts do I need? Here is the list I have so far.

• (8) Plate, Friction 3
    item: 26H-16307-01-00
  • (7) Plate, Clutch 1
    item: 26H-16324-00-00
  • (1) Segment
    item: 4NK-18185-00-00
  • (1) Washer, Lock
    item: 90215-25218-00
I already purchased the case gasket and an EBC pressure plate. Is the segment (item 6) the only part I need to fix the shifting problem that people get?
0_1.png

Hey man, I think the shift problem you are referring to is with second gear and is inside the case, I am pointing at the problem in the pics shown. Anybody else to advise on this?

AME, you need to post up your symthoms for the transmission , gentsmax may be right and you are replacing parts that are not going to fix the problem.

The bike shifted fine. I just wanted to upgrade the segment since they are prone to failure on older bikes but it had already been replaced by a previous owner. I replaced the friction disks and used a scotch bright pad on the steels. I did the DD mod using the stock spring and a new EBC spring. It feels like a new bike now. No Slip and so much more responsive. The clutch pull is a lot firmer but no big deal. Only took a few hours. One of the few projects I've done on this bike that went quickly and without a hitch.

I've been buying EBay friction discs singly on EBay for years at stoopid low prices just for the rainy day. I've been media blasting steels that are not blued, grooved or warped just like Sean suggested. Got enough extra springs for a bunch of DD mods. I think if I could afford it, I'd upgrade all my old style star segments if I'm in there. Always great to hear someone tackling a repair they never done before and it turns out a success.

My clutch just started slipping slightly when fairly cold at about 7K RPM.

I decided on an EBC kit. I did the double spring mod on my FJ1200 (sold), but the lever was very hard to pull, and I have large hands. Traffic sucks. I just want a good daily rider that I drag race once per year or so.

I live in Hungary, and this kit is coming from the UK, so shipping is easier.

Here's the kit I purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331396515168

Yes that eBay EBC kit looks just fine. I didn't read to see if it replaces the 1/2-friction disc w/a full-size one. I would do that for the cost of 1 more friction disc if it isn't included. I did the PCW diaphragm spring,easier to pull than the DD and it hasn't slipped yet, more pressure than the stocker.

I did the PCW diaphragm spring,easier to pull than the DD and it hasn't slipped yet, more pressure than the stocker.

I've done searches for this "PCW spring" on this site, ebay, and elsewhere. But I cannot seem to get good results.
Does anyone have a good link where I can check it out?

Call them and they will fill you in. Don't forget to get a full-size friction disc to replace the 1/2 width disc. You just remove the 1/2 disc & the thin, narrow spring which is in the stack of friction discs. I got mine a couple of years ago and I think it was about $55 shipped. If you buy a full set of friction plates (they recommend OEM Yamaha) and the spring and gasket, I think they give you a bit off.

I've done searches for this "PCW spring" on this site, ebay, and elsewhere. But I cannot seem to get good results.
Does anyone have a good link where I can check it out?

Don't forget to get a full-size friction disc to replace the 1/2 width disc. You just remove the 1/2 disc & the thin, narrow spring which is in the stack of friction discs. I got mine a couple of years ago and I think it was about $55 shipped. If you buy a full set of friction plates (they recommend OEM Yamaha) and the spring and gasket, I think they give you a bit off.

Sorry, I don't understand about 1/2 disk and full-size disk.

In the diagram below, is the 1/2 disk #7?

Also, according to this link about DD, it says in step 8 to remove and discard the spring wire. Is this true?
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/double-d.htm

CLUTCH.png

If You want to replace the 1/2 friction (#7) with a full friction (#9), remove part # 5,6,7 and the wire (#4) and replace those parts with 1 Full size friction plate (#9).

Latest posts

Back