Painting the motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
As you all know the paint will fade etc from the head due to excessive heat over the years , I have been told that this can be repainted and have just seen a good example of this been done by brush while the motor is still in the frame .
Is it possible to do the whole motor in the frame ?
Has this been done and if so what is the best way to go about it as I am looking at touching up my Max or as my partner calls it "The other Woman " ..

I think the prep is the worst part. Make some block - off plates for intake and exhaust so you can at least get that stuff out of the way. Leave some old spark plugs in, too. Plenty of guys have painted in the frame, but I think the prep time and pulling the motor might be kinda the same. Both ways are a pain. Sean, Fire-medic, nhvm ... Wayne. They've all painted motors with good results.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sean has some loaner block off plates, contact him and see if and when they will be available...

In order for you to do a job that lasts another 20 years and pleasant look, remove it from frame as its easier to clean the grime and sludge on the tight spots. You will never be able to paint it whole in the frame. Seize the opportunity to do a overall cleaning of the bikes guts including checking for wiring and some tidying up if needed

In order for you to do a job that lasts another 20 years and pleasant look, remove it from frame as its easier to clean the grime and sludge on the tight spots. You will never be able to paint it whole in the frame. Seize the opportunity to do a overall cleaning of the bikes guts including checking for wiring and some tidying up if needed

That's pretty much it in a nutshell after taking a look at it yesterday . I'm probably looking at a touch up in places but I don't want it to look like a touch up in certain areas .
Has anyone had some success in dong this ?

You need to go to our facebook albums and find the engine album. We do complete refinish work but can loan the block off parts so you can have it done locally and save the shipping of your engine here.

Back