Curved frame brace.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing the spin-on oil filter mod on my '85. I'm aware that the small cross brace on the frame at the oil filter area needs to be modified or changed to a newer one. I'm lookimng real hard at that area of the frame, and cannot for the life of me imagine any flex or weakness there. I'm thinking of just removing the brace and running without it to see if any problems develop. Of course, hitting a bump and having a motor mnount crack off the cases would suck, but I am not a hard rider, and really can't see the need to replace the brace. I've got Gold Wing horns, remounted by the sdies of the radiator, so I don't need the horn mount function of the brace, either.

Looking for comments, or offers to modify my brace to work...

I have been thinking about doing the spin-on oil filter mod on my '85. I'm aware that the small cross brace on the frame at the oil filter area needs to be modified or changed to a newer one. I'm lookimng real hard at that area of the frame, and cannot for the life of me imagine any flex or weakness there. I'm thinking of just removing the brace and running without it to see if any problems develop. Of course, hitting a bump and having a motor mnount crack off the cases would suck, but I am not a hard rider, and really can't see the need to replace the brace. I've got Gold Wing horns, remounted by the sdies of the radiator, so I don't need the horn mount function of the brace, either.

Looking for comments, or offers to modify my brace to work...

That's one of the first mods I did to my max, it made changing the oil filter so much easier. COO did a great job of fabbing it. I don't think I would take that chance riding without the brace. Use Garrett's link on eBay to get a used one for fairly cheat price

Back