Broken stud

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvmccreary

Reaction score
I acquired my grandfather’s vmax through my dad and it had a few problems with metal in the oil and all that jazz. After inspecting the bearings and fixing a few other problems as well as the HD oiling kit I got from Sean I was ALMOST ready to put it back together. HOWEVER, When I took off the exhaust to begin with I came across a stud that was rusted in place and my efforts of trying to get it out ended with it broken off in the engine. :bang head: :ummm: :confused2: On top of that the easy out that I tried to use to get the damn thing out broke off as well INSIDE the bolt. @#$&&*@^@%%

I felt hopeless. I spent a couple weeks of sending emails to Sean and endless time on forums and reading other peoples disasters of this happening I enlisted the help of a co-worker (Machinist) and this is what we have done (so far) to rectify the problem. As you can see from the pictures the first step was to make a tool/guide to make sure we did not mess anything up. One side fits the stud 8mm and the other side (at first was drilled the same we made a bushing to make it smaller) is just smaller than the stub about ¼’’. We haven’t completely rectified the situation but we are making leeway. The solution to this if any one happens to have the same problem is patience, research, good quality tools, and a well thought out plan.

I could have avoided all the chaos and trouble of this by just taking the damned engine out, BUT that would have been TOO easy.

20130710_115225_zps7ed10b43.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130710_115235_zps550a63b7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130710_163822_zps0233771e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130710_163931_zps6e795faa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh man, I feel your pain. I did exactly that, but also fucked up dipping out the e-z out. I was close to crying. A local guy sorted it. Still not certain what he did as I was in hospital at the time and a friend was working with him on my behalf.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

If you also use a left handed drill (i.e. runs backwards) to try and drill out the stud and easy-out you will often find that this will bring the thread with it as you drill.

Someone on here posted a link one time to some very good bits that would drill out broken extractors.

Just had this problem on the wife's Haaaaarghley. The frame and clearance made it hopeless to do with the engine together so I pulled the head and had a machinist of mine do wonderful things with a drill and clamps.

I'm not sure if this will fit the max's head, but it's the exact same idea. Most Harley shops I know carry these: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/440-266

It's a bigger issue on hogs because of the air cooled engines roasting those, and Harley doesn't put any covers on for some reason so they rust up like a sonuvabitch.

and he's British

BRITISH????? :ummm: No such nationality!

You will have listened to the dulcet tones of an Englishman who (I believe) hails from Lancashire.

And why should his nationality be such a surprise? After all, we did invent engineering! :clapping: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I am interested to hear "Mr. Midnight" expound on the invention of engineering by the British.:ummm:

While I have high-regard for the likes of Colin Chapman's work, Mr. Costin and Mr. Duckworth, and the more-current F1 car constructors, I await some information which I may entrust to my memory for use in the future.

A question w/o googling: was Sir Henry Ricardo British?

Engineering was originally invented by a tribe in Africa. I believe the first engineering marvel was "Fire" followed shorly by the "Wheel". They have evolved now to include Wheels with spinning centers to give the illusion of "fire".

Sean

Engineering was originally invented by a tribe in Africa. I believe the first engineering marvel was "Fire" followed shorly by the "Wheel". They have evolved now to include Wheels with spinning centers to give the illusion of "fire".

Sean

+1 ( and I'm English) HUMAN ingenuity never fails to amaze me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Sometimes, you can weld a nut on a broken stud and back it out. The heat helps, a lot.
The exhaust studs can be a horror show. The nuts shuld be heated red hot if not moving with minimum force. A broken tap extractor? Please shoot me?

A HSS drill isn't going to drill the easy-out. Try using a Stellite drill bit.

We often use our spark eroder to remove such disasters for our customers but of course that means they have to dismantle everything.
Recently I bought a second hand portable tap buster unit which I just had to purchase online because I though it would save my skin in the future. Never used it yet but I'll be glad I bought it when I do.

I am interested to hear "Mr. Midnight" expound on the invention of engineering by the British.:ummm:

While I have high-regard for the likes of Colin Chapman's work, Mr. Costin and Mr. Duckworth, and the more-current F1 car constructors, I await some information which I may entrust to my memory for use in the future.

A question w/o googling: was Sir Henry Ricardo British?

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Mr Medic,
I do concede that there are some parts of the world that are in denial but they will come round eventually.
roll.gif

You will need to go back a bit earlier in time to appreciate the true genius of the engineers that were born in Great Britain...say the early 18th century?

Did you mean Sir Harry Ricardo? Whilst he was born in Great Britain he would be English by birth.

Yikes that is expensive. I'd just stick with a MAPP torch for most heating needs.... that seems nice and precise but that's not really necessary for most MC applications. Perhaps if the gas tank mount snapped :O

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Mr Medic,
I do concede that there are some parts of the world that are in denial but they will come round eventually.
roll.gif

You will need to go back a bit earlier in time to appreciate the true genius of the engineers that were born in Great Britain...say the early 18th century?

Did you mean Sir Harry Ricardo? Whilst he was born in Great Britain he would be English by birth.

I'm thinking the Egyptians may have pre-dated the English by a bit.

I would agree that the egyptian engineers were very good at what they did. I wonder what we build now that will be still standing like the momuments they made.

I would agree that the egyptian engineers were very good at what they did. I wonder what we build now that will be still standing like the momuments they made.

There's that HUGE pile of dogchit where a Whitehouse once stood near the center of DC that comes to mind. It'd take a millenium to knock that pile down if we started tomorrow....just sayin'. :biglaugh:

Back