Bad Luck during routine Morley HD Oiler installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Sean:

hope this helps: you may want to mention a couple of things in your instructions to help people who are not installing while the engine is on a bench. After seeing my o-ring bulging, I'd advise everyone to install this kit

but with these precautions.

1. I assume you have removed the many things you must in order to install this kit.

Installing the spacer washer under the oil pump relief valve is not a problem if you are careful with the phillips head screws and use the correct size really big screwdriver or ratchet.

before you attempt to install the white plastic gear which goes inside the crankcase when everything is still OUTSIDE THE BIKE AND EASILY ACCESSIBLE make certain that the washer fits over the shaft easily. Push the shaft into the gear and then put the washer on it to make sure it fits over the shaft easily. If I had done this I might not be in the position. An a horrid position it is.

Sean, I think you should use a 45 Degree fine grinder and just touch inside ONE side of that washer then polish it to make sort of a guide so that the washer goes on onto the shaft more smoothly. Then instruct people to make sure that the side of the washer that is contoured inside should point inside.

Thanks for everyone's support. I am out of money till the first so I will report on this in a couple of weeks unless something else happens. My buddy has offered to bring his 12 year old daughter over....her small hands may be able to reach in there and at least feel and confirm where it is. Even that would make me feel better.

Again, thanks to Sean for his help in several areas and again, after seeing my o-ing blown out, I'd recommend everyone install this kit even though this has happened to me. it was just an accident. I've been working on cars for years but this is my first experience with a bike.

Shit happens.

OK here is one more question. Right to the front of the oil pan opening there are two plugs that appear to be allen head, though the allen opening is much smaller than the plugs.

What will happen if I unscrew these?

will springs and shit fall out, or is it safe to remove them and stick a light or something up in there? Since I stupidly do not yet own a manual, I think I better get some OK from someone before unscrewing those things.

Picture of said allens? There is an allen on the right front under the waterpump that is where you connect if you are doing a oiling pressure gauge. There is a secondary drain on the left rear under the mid gear cover.

I think the things he's talking about on the bottom of the oil pan are some kind of manufacturing jig points. I don't think they actually screw out

There are two locations on the base of the block behind the pan. They are used by the Venture bikes and a bracket is bolted there.

OK, they are behind the pan and are threaded in the middle and I can see how they might be used to mount a bracket. they do not screw out.

I was hallucinating in the vain hope of some good luck.

I now have a 1 inch and 1/2 inch mirror both glued to pipe cleaners. I also have a Martha stewart bead Christmas light set that is very very small and can be crammed up in there for light.

when the epoxy on the mirrors sets up I'll take a look.

fingers crossed

Good luck with finding it. I damn near dropped the retaining clip in there when installing it on mine.

For me the biggest obstacle was finding the washer. Once I found it I had it out in under 15 minutes. I bought a bore scope from harbor freight and used the supplied mirror on the end to find it.

the martha stewart xmas lights were not as bright as I'd hoped and I could not see anything with a mirror.

Someone who is communicating with me privately suggests flushing the entire transmission area with gasoline or trans fluid (I'd use gas) and hope to wash the washer out of there.

I turned the bike on its side hoping to be able to reach stuff in a different way but that did not produce results.

Looking around on the internet, I'm sure I could find it if I had a fiber scope costing 10 grand but I'd rather buy a new bike.

is there anything in there that would be damaged by flushing the transmission area with gas?

my buddy tells me that he does not think the washer is in there and I should reassemble it and if the washer destroys the transmission, I should just part it out.

I'd rather part it out now because I see no sense in doing something like this.

OK never mind on the gas. I can afford a few gallons of wd-40. it's thin enough and I'm sure there's nothing in the engine that would be damaged by it and I'm sure it won't blow me up. If I do this, I'll use that.

Now I have to find a way to suspend the rear of the bike so that it is a couple of feet up in the back and down on the tire in the front so it's tilted the right way for the washer to flow out with the fluid.

I understand the frustration but your friends advice is terrible. Just figure out different ways to see into the case and when you get frustrated just walk away for the day and think about a new method to find it. I had good luck with just a bent wire for feeling around.

I can't see into the case with mirrors and lights. I need a fiberscope. It's either way back there somehow or it's not even in there. It fell out and I simply did not see where it ended up on the newspaper with very small advertizements or on the floor.

Truth be told, the only way to be sure is to pull the engine and remove the bottom case and look in there. Might as well drop in some new main bearings while I'm there and who knows what else.

Ok but I had the same thing happen and thought all the same things. It was in there and I pulled it out with a coat hanger wire.

I agree. Look all around on the floor just in case. Flushing with gas will not hurt anything and it will evaporate as well for what doesn't drain. Not sure it would "wash" out. It would likely stay stuck in the bottom but better to get it out.

I think 'jedi' meant to post this here:

"You can get a cheap bore scope and hook it up to you laptop like this for example..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-En...026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f27dc7552

I have one and it's great. I dropped a spark plug screw on cap from my Honda that went down the spark plug hole and I couldn't see it, but the scope did. It was also non magnetic being stainless steel, so what I did was use a piece of wire with some Blue tack on the end of it an it worked perfectly.
I don't know if you call it blue tack on your side of the ditch but it's the stuff that kids use to hold posters etc onto the wall without damaging anything, like chewing gum."

OK, so that scope looks like a possibility.

Sean has spoken.

I'm coat hangered out. It's definitely not where I thought it was so it must have gone into the transmission area.

I might buy one of those and see if I can find it.

If not, I'm gonna find the strongest biggest pressurized thing I can and blast the entire transmission area with a couple of gallons of gas.

that will have to wait till the first of the month though. Out of money.

If none of that works, then I guess I'll pull the engine

Getting a 1998...perk of the job.

Parting out 1986 V-Max

Engine would run great if a certain washer was either removed or determined not to be in the trans cavity.

carbs spoken for.

seat has small tear but seat core is excellent condition
front fender is from FatMax so no stock front fender.

Saving Stator and Clutch for myself.

PM me with what you want and what you are willing to pay for it including shipping.

Back to the 1986...strange days.

Anyway

THREE CHEERS FOR TRAUMAHAWK.

He drove about three hours to my place and brought his engine hoist on a trailer.

we lifted the bike up and angled it down in the front and, after deciding that it might not be a good idea to pressurize gasoline in an industrial sprayer capable of far more pressure that the sprayer you might get at home depot for 10 bucks, we flushed out the transmission area with a water hose.

NO WASHER.

then we blew it dry with some huge air blower that TraumaHawk brought with him that was able to create a mini hurricane inside the transmission.

NO WASHER.

then we used the industrial sprayer with a couple of gallons of WD-40 which seemed safe enough to compress and would also remove any water left in there.

NO WASHER.

I guess it was never in there but if it is in there it is God's Will that it be in there and far be it from me to remove it. On to re assembly.

Back