ticking/tapping at idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims94vmx

Reaction score
I have gotten this ticking within the last few hundred miles. When I give it just a little throttle it goes away? Valves? I had them done by Paul Czernics quite a few years ago.....77K on the odo now?
Anyone in the greater Lehigh Valley that you recommend if you think that is the case? I had work done by Chis Kunkle (the old service manager at Scott Powersports) but have not seen him in years......

could be a number of things,carbs out of balance,slight blockage of idle jets.best thing is to check oil levels etc,if there is no local vmax gurus ,record the noise on a decent camcorder ,post on you tube etc & post a link.someone will diagnose & probable ease any fears you have.

I'm thinking the cam chain is slapping around at idle. You wouldn't be the first. Tentioners are not difficult to check. Guides can be checked when doing the valve clearance check, they are
very durable though.
Steve-o

Had a chance to run it today. Seems like it is on the right side.....pretty loud....could it be the waterpump? If so is there something to test before I tear into it? No difference when I pull in the clutch. When giving a little gas at idle it goes away for a couple seconds then comes back. matches the engine speed....faster the idle, faster the tick. Tried a video with my work tablet and of course file to large to email and I cannot post from the tablet.....crazy short leash with the tablets! LOL

Not saying your valves don't need checking Jim but they wear to the tight side not loose so out of spec valves won't make any noise.

Can you get your hands on an automotive stethoscope? You might be able to narrow it down more by listening to different areas. We used to get a radius rod from a tv roof antennae and put a baby nipple on the end....worked great. Any small diameter aluminum tube would do it or a long screwdriver works good too.

Not saying your valves don't need checking Jim but they wear to the tight side not loose so out of spec valves won't make any noise.

Can you get your hands on an automotive stethoscope? You might be able to narrow it down more by listening to different areas. We used to get a radius rod from a tv roof antennae and put a baby nipple on the end....worked great. Any small diameter aluminum tube would do it or a long screwdriver works good too.

yup. Or even just a long skinny piece of wood will transfer the noises directly to your ear.

High possibility to be a wrist pin/rod issue. I used to worry about it but not so much anymore unless the noise gets really loud. The fix isn't the easiest thing to do but it can be done in the bike.

Sean

Latest posts

Back