Engine problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskey

Reaction score
My vmax stoled tried to start it up it would not start smell of fuel. Got the carbs off clean it put them back start it up . It was not running properly. Black smoke when it was running and when l excelerate full throttle white smoke. I think it's value. Any advise about this please.

Well black smoke is unburnt fuel. I would say that the floats stuck at some point. Now you can EASY tap on the carbs and see if that will vibrate what ever is holding the floats stuck.

You might need to change the plugs as well. You might want to also look at the sight glass, and just make certain that the excess gas didnt make it into the oil pan, if you oil level has suddenly grown...then change your oil.

I agree that black smoke is usually too much fuel. Could be a carb problem. Could be that the fuel is not igniting. Check to see if your plugs are firing.

Whote smoke (excessive) could be a sign of a head gasket leak. Check the antifeeze and oil too see if either look like a milkshake. Could pup some air into the cylinders and watch for bubbling in the rad fluid

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Cleaned the carbs l checked the spark and there where OK. It's still the same. Back right cylinder fuel coming out when you try to start the engine.

Float bowl drain screw not quite closed? And what's your spark gap? Are you using stock coils or COPs?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Cleaned the carbs l checked the spark and there where OK. It's still the same. Back right cylinder fuel coming out when you try to start the engine.

Coming out where specifically.

Still sounds like float not closing inlet valve to me if there's visible fuel.

Float NOT stuck plus no spark I don't think would give you visible fuel anywhere. Just black smoke maybe.

+ 237 on sticking float - May be easier (in the long run) to take to carbs off and strip the offending float chamber.
Pay attention to what you find in there and try to establish what it is e.g. rust particles from the fuel tank, as you would need to fix this to prevent a re-occurrence.
Pay attention to the float and ensure that it is moving freely and also check the float chamber shut-off valve seat for any debris trapped on the seat.

If you don't have a spark (which is easy enough to establish) then I wouldn't have thought that you would get any smoke as the fuel won't have been ignited.

I would going along with the floats sticking to.

It took me 3 times pulling the carbs to get it right. On the 3rd try all metal parts I boiled in lemon juice the acid clean the carbs parts real good and then I used WD40 to clean the parts. When I'm out riding and reach about every 500 to 600 miles I use Techron to a full tank of gas.It helps clean the carbs and lube the floats. I catch them on sale. I bought case off of amazon in 2012 for $25.00.

Attachments

• P1020567.JPG
    P1020567.JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1020667.JPG
    P1020667.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 17
  • P1040158.JPG
    P1040158.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 17
Anyway the carbs need to be checked . And once you have the carbs Working properly then l can do the compression check and then sort out the rest.

Back