crash bar or highway pegs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found with my '06, the chrome of the OEM guards a bit much. I wanted to dull it down. I also didn't like the way highway pegs would "stick out" too far.
I toyed with skateboard grip tape once and applying a nicely trimmed piece onto the engine guard. That was very short lived since I found that the grip tape coarse material shedding, and it ended up scratching the chrome on the engine guard.
So...
I bought some rubberized plumbing pipe at Home Depot. I think it's used for connecting clothes washers to laundry tubs. I split it, and slipped it over the bar to dull it down. The rubber is kind of "grippy". I never put my boot on the bar, I'm tall. I sometimes rest my longer 6'3" frame legs on them by draping my ankle over them. Stretching left side then right.
This backfires though, since the infamous VMAX cramp in my ass and hip usually get me after returning my foot to the stay.

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 41
So...
I bought some rubberized plumbing pipe at Home Depot. I think it's used for connecting clothes washers to laundry tubs. I split it, and slipped it over the bar to dull it down. The rubber is kind of "grippy". I never put my boot on the bar, I'm tall. I sometimes rest my longer 6'3" frame legs on them by draping my ankle over them. Stretching left side then right.
This backfires though, since the infamous VMAX cramp in my ass and hip usually get me after returning my foot to the stay.

I like that. I will have to look for some of that. Wish I knew more about what it's called. Did you have to glue it on or what? I don't think I would stay on it for long periods but it's nice to have different pints to kind of move around on.

Perfect timing on the thread, i have the Cycle One Off original hwy pegs. I think they were sold as crash bars. They are aluminum round bar with a phenolic cap, very slick when trying to keep your feet on them. I have tried the grip tape, worked ok with zip ties, until you touch down in a corner and ripped the ties and tape off. We won't mention the dragging hard parts on the pavement possible scenarios. I ordered a pair of Rivco anti vibration folding pegs. I plan to mount them on the lower triangle engine plate. Either the aluminum one from COO or the stock steel plate. i am leaning more toward the stock steel plate. i will provide pictures when its done. O and if it works.:ummm:
Here's the link, pretty sure you will need to copy and paste. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/530...e=&network=g&gclid=CM2z_KL5m9ECFZWFaQodTvEAVg

Here's what I ended up with, I like that they fold up and are about 1" longer than the aluminum bars. Rivco PEGBK The non slip rubber will be real nice. Here is before and after;

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 37
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 30
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 30
Here's what I ended up with, I like that they fold up and are about 1" longer than the aluminum bars. Rivco PEGBK The non slip rubber will be real nice. Here is before and after;

Those look much better. Have you had a chance to ride with them? Are they comfortable? I rode mine a little more and tried putting my feet on the crash bar but the felt a little to close to the motor. I'm thinking something like Sean's crash bar modification may be the comfort I'm looking for.

Those look much better. Have you had a chance to ride with them? Are they comfortable? I rode mine a little more and tried putting my feet on the crash bar but the felt a little to close to the motor. I'm thinking something like Sean's crash bar modification may be the comfort I'm looking for.

I have not ridden with the new fold up units. I think they will work 100% better than the aluminum round bar i had before. Pretty slippery. The leg position is very comfortable for me. This set up does put your ankles very close to the engine, it can get a little hot even through my boots. These pegs are 1" longer than the original bars, that will add a little more space between the engine and my boots which should help keep the ankles cool on hot days.
Sean's version is bolt on and go. My bars are a piece mill way to have hwy pegs using what materials I already had. Other than the Rivco Pegs.

Back