Reserve Fuel Tank Operation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr6874

Reaction score
Hey guys, got another question/issue I need help with. I'm beginning to think that my running issue isn't ignition as I originally thought. I took the bike out yesterday just to shoot it around the block and as soon as I got maybe a half mile up the road, it started cutting back like it has been doing. But this time, it actually cut off! Now I was thinking that the ignition problems had progressed, but now I'm not so sure. I have a little under a half tank of gas, so I know that's not the issue, but I noticed that it acted just like it ran out of gas when it shut off. So, for the hell of it, I switched it to reserve. After spinning over for about 3 seconds, it fired off and ran better than it has ran for the past few weeks! So my question is, how doe the reserve system on my '90 work? I've already changed the fuel filter. But I don't know if there's another one somewhere. And the Clymer service manual doesn't say a thing about the reserve fuel tank operation at all! So PLEASE, someone help me out here :ummm::ummm::ummm:

Thanks,
Richard V.

Ok....when you get down to a certain low level, the reserve light comes on, and the fuel pump cuts OFF. The you switch to reserve, the light stays on, but the fuel pump with pump again, with the switch in reserve.

Correct, the reserve switch completly bypasses the low fuel cut off circuit and will run the pump without interruption, with a half tank of fuel I would say your low fuel sensor is faulty or possibly an electrical issue, is the low fuel light comming on?.................................Tom.

Don't the pump die out with the switch set to normal AND the low fuel warning light BULB circuit giving conection grief, or simply burned out altogether?

Correct, the reserve switch completly bypasses the low fuel cut off circuit and will run the pump without interruption, with a half tank of fuel I would say your low fuel sensor is faulty or possibly an electrical issue, is the low fuel light comming on?.................................Tom.
No, the light did not come on when it shut off on me. But as soon as I switched to reserve, it started back up after a few seconds of the engine turning over. But the fuel light DOES work! So what could be causing it to shut off on normal? Bad fuel pump? Bad reserve switch? And suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I would say the pump is working correctly, the problem could be in the switch, low fuel sensor or a wiring/connector issue, you will need to break out the wiring schematic and begin the process of elimination................................Tom.

I would say the pump is working correctly, the problem could be in the switch, low fuel sensor or a wiring/connector issue, you will need to break out the wiring schematic and begin the process of elimination................................Tom.
I agree Tom with the switch and/ or a wiring/ connector issue. I had the sensor in the tank that was bad but the bike would run normally until the tank was bone dry. My problem with the sensor was the wire was broken at the lower connection point inside the tank. It sounds like his sensor is working ok since his I put in another known good sensor and the low fuel light comes on normally requiring the switchover to the "RES" setting.

Thanks guys, I'll do some digging into the wiring Monday when I get back to work and see what I can come up with. I'll let ya know what I find out.

Before diving in too deep check or replace the warning bulb.

Thanks Max, but the light works. It comes on for the bulb check when I'm starting the bike. I'm thinking, HOPING, it's just a bad fuel level sensor. Only problem is, I can't find one anywhere. And I damn sure don't want to have to go to the dealer and buy one!!! :bang head: I know they're gonna want an arm and half a leg for the damn thing!!!

Anyone know where I can get one reasonable, please let me know :eusa_dance:.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back