Changing out your pick up coils (1st Gen)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm replacing my stator and have done the steps, hex screws out, but the cover won't budge. What am I missing?

The gasket seals it a bit but the magnets on the flywheel create quite a bit of resistance to pull off the cover. Try a rubber mallet around the edges to break the gasket seal.

Can someone tell me the part number for those gaskets? I have to replace my stator : ( About how long will it take? Thanks for the help!

Also, do you have to remove the gear shift bracket, footrest, and middle gear cover to replace the stator?

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this Buster. Thanks to you, and another thread on the forum, my bike is up and running again!!!

I completed a 1992 engine swap into my 1986 VMAX as the old engine was seized when I bought it. Is there a way to convert the newer "coil pick-up" wiring to the older 1986 wiring harness? New engine has 2 plug connection and old 1986 has 6 plug connection.

I finally have the bike completely assembled but cannot figure out what to do about this unforeseen wiring issue.

Can I swap the old 1986 engine stator cover/stator and "coil pick up" to the newer 1992 engine???

I still have the complete old engine but it is seized like a brick.

So close yet so far... Any advice would be awesome and thanks in advance.

Nobody ever does that! The new ign. box is a better system, you need the new wire harness & sensors, since you already have the new-style flywheel & pick-up coil. Ask Sean or Kyle, but that swap to the new harness should be a better system than going 'backwards.'

Thank you for the reply. So a new harness and the ignition box will suffice?

The stator will plug into the regulator so that part is fine.

Latest posts

Back