Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that davesax36, I actually have chatted with fire-medic about it. Was just thinking it would be nice if there was some options closer to home. I'll wait till winter and send the wheel of to fire-medic then, the riding is pretty crappy up here in winter months! (By that I mean non existent)! Thanks.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Hello All.
I'm just checking in to say Hi.This is my first post.I will be picking up a used Gen1 Vmax tommorow :eusa_dance:.
Forecast calls for 2 days of rain.:damn angry:

Has anyone upgraded/changed their signal or head lights?I'd like to get something a little more modern looking and brighter.
Thanks

Hello guys,
New to the forum. I recently bought a 2005 Max as a divorce present to myself:clapping:. So far the bike seems to be solid, haven't had any issues to speak of. I've just been riding short jaunts to get used to the beast. And I'll have to say it's a blast. At 62 I'm not much into the go fast everywhere mentality that I was back when I had my 750 Yam and a 900 Kaw, many moons ago. But I sure do like an occasional sprint to a hundred or so. Anyways, great forum here, and I'm enjoying the reads as I like to do my own wrenching.

Best regards,

Hi all. I just bought a 2000 Vmax with 19,900 miles on it, no obvious problems and running great. $2,000 (seemed like a good deal?). I'm so happy I found this bike. It's a lot like my old XJ750 only WAY faster.

A few questions:

1) I just realized my exhaust is not stock. Can anyone help me identify it and point me towards any other mods I should check for? (see photo attached)

2) My Vboost doesn't cycle when turning the ignition on, So i'll be looking into fixing that. If the PO had modified it to always be on, how would I know?

3) Are there many (any?) other Alaskan vmax owners on here?

Thanks in advance, this forum is great.

Attachments

• 18301838_10105083162303893_8202966288086161090_n.jpg
    18301838_10105083162303893_8202966288086161090_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 20
Hi all. I just bought a 2000 Vmax with 19,900 miles on it, no obvious problems and running great. $2,000 (seemed like a good deal?). I'm so happy I found this bike. It's a lot like my old XJ750 only WAY faster.

A few questions:

1) I just realized my exhaust is not stock. Can anyone help me identify it and point me towards any other mods I should check for? (see photo attached)

2) My Vboost doesn't cycle when turning the ignition on, So i'll be looking into fixing that. If the PO had modified it to always be on, how would I know?

3) Are there many (any?) other Alaskan vmax owners on here?

Thanks in advance, this forum is great.
Welcome, 2000 is a great deal if it runs good. Do a couple hard accelerations through second gear make sure it doesn't slip skip jump or pop out of gear.
Not sure on the pipes slash cut cobras? Loud as hell I bet. Someone on hear will be able to tell you everything about it. I recall Casey Jones just mentioning about the v boost plug. It is under left side scoop and I believe will be unplugged if it is set to always be on. Again someone with more knowledge ought to chime in.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good for $2K.

Exhaust looks to be cobra slip ons.

Pull the left scoop. Look for a black rectangular box on the right side. It has 2 electrical plugs on it. One small, square plug with 2 or 3 wires. One cylinder shaped plug with 5 or 6 wires.

The cylindrical plug controls the servo motor that opens and closes the vboost butterflies. If it's unplugged, it won't operate.

You can also remove the chrome H covers below the carbs. These covers hide the intake manifolds and vboost butterfly assembly. If you see just straight metal tubes, the butterfly assembly has been removed. If you see tubes with springs and a cable attached you have the right parts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into the vBoost soon.

Second gear seems to be fine. It hasn't slipped yet.

So I guess the only point of those cobra mufflers is to make it louder and change the styling. Any effect on power? I can't tell if it's just new mufflers or if the whole exhaust has been modified to accommodate the extra pipes.

Cheers,

That is a great looking bike!

The Vboost controller is under the left scoop as mentioned. I have heard that some riders cycle it until open then unplug it to keep it open.

I also know that stock the Vboost controllers tend to be finicky. I have had mine fail to cycle at key-on before start and found that moving the wire around would sometimes trigger it to actuate. One of the fixes is to open the box up and solder the input terminals to the PC board. Of course you have to painstakingly remove a layer of silicon sealant. It helped with mine but it was still not working every time until I had everything positioned just right. Last time I had it apart I removed the controller, turned it 360 to get a little torsional twist on the wires and it has worked since. Eventually I will replace the TCI with an Ignitek which can control the Vboost in leu of the OEM controller.

If everything looks stock just unscrew the controller and move it all around with the key on and see if you can get it to cycle, make sure it's all plugged in first. Good luck, the Vboost is one of the most fun aspects of the bike.

There are other modifications that folks can do to the Vboost to alter it's behavior but I'm not really informed about those, my vboost is stock and that seems to be where it works best.

On the mufflers, I'm not sure what those are exactly but I have heard that some of the wide open mufflers will actually rob some power. I run a 4-2-1 Kerer and it works and sounds fucking fantastic.

Hello all! I am a new Vmax owner. I have started the restoration process on " Venomax" and so far absolutely love this Motorcycle!! I have a question tho. Where can i get a new back rest cushion or cover? Mine is weathered pretty bad.
iphone7%20chasssis%20build%20008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi Guys!
Love the site, getting inspired to try some stuff just by browsing and seeing all the great things people have done to their Maxxes.
I have an 89, love it to death, which is where it tries to take me on a daily basis! It seems to genuinely dislike speeds under 100mph. It has just over 43k miles on it, but you'd never know to look at it. I have done hydrographics on the whole bike, eventually I will post videos. I read the COP system info with GREAT interest, would love to set my bike up. All the posts on the subject are old, though. Gonna take some digging, but I definitely want to do it.
Anyway, great site, look forward to seeing more, and posting my own VMax adventures!

Hi Guys!
Love the site, getting inspired to try some stuff just by browsing and seeing all the great things people have done to their Maxxes.
I have an 89, love it to death, which is where it tries to take me on a daily basis! It seems to genuinely dislike speeds under 100mph. It has just over 43k miles on it, but you'd never know to look at it. I have done hydrographics on the whole bike, eventually I will post videos. I read the COP system info with GREAT interest, would love to set my bike up. All the posts on the subject are old, though. Gonna take some digging, but I definitely want to do it.
Anyway, great site, look forward to seeing more, and posting my own VMax adventures!
Oh, man. The mod monkey is gonna LOVE you.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Dan, if you're married, have your wife hide your wallet. You're gonna get so many ideas here, you'll go broke fast. Congrats on the Max, and welcome! Remember there are no dumb questions, and everyone here is happy to give advice.

Hi Guys!

Just remember, you only live once, doctor that thing up how you want it and enjoy! :clapping:

I bought my first COP set for my Vmax and it was alright. I felt I could do a pretty decent job myself so when it came time to fit COPs on my Venture (Same-ish engine as the Vmax) I whipped them up myself. Took me about an hour to make them and $20 in supplies/parts. If your interested my post is the last one in this thread. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?102440-Run-for-it-it-s-the-COPs!/page4

The bike these went on has an Ignitek TCI so I didnt need resistors and off the top of my head I'm not sure if yours will or not.

WELCOME!:punk:

Hello all, just purchased an 01 and will be making use of the vast Vmax knowledge here, I've been lurking off and on for almost a year.
I currently have two GSX-R's an 86 1100 and 98 7/10ish project, the 1100 is destined to rest in my basement for the time being and the 98 is a back burner project as the Max will likely be an "on hold" project too since I'm searching for two more bikes for the basement, 89-90 ZX7 and 89-90 GSXR 1100 to make a Muzzy replica and a Team Valvoline FUSA replica, the 86 1100 I have now will become a Lockhart Phillips replica....sourcing the parts for these machines is the hard part so far :bang head: lol.
Anyways looking forward to contributing when possible and I'll be looking for Max parts too :punk:

Bill

Whats up fellas. Dig the site and the wealth of information to be gained here. Great site and from reading post after post I find the people here to be just as great. Look forward to getting to know ya. My Hammer is an 2001 and I love it. Been wanting a Max since the day they came out, just wished I would got one sooner. Oh well better late than never. See ya all around the boards and hope you all have a great weekend. :)

Whats up fellas. Dig the site and the wealth of information to be gained here. Great site and from reading post after post I find the people here to be just as great. Look forward to getting to know ya. My Hammer is an 2001 and I love it. Been wanting a Max since the day they came out, just wished I would got one sooner. Oh well better late than never. See ya all around the boards and hope you all have a great weekend. :)
Clackamas, Oregon? If so lets ride.

Clackamas, Oregon? If so lets ride.

Yeah Brother Clackamas or as we sometimes call it Crack of my a** :biglaugh:

Family has me today and probably tomorrow, but I'll pm you with my cell maybe we can figure out a time bud. Sound Good?

Back