Looking at buying a vmax...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a 2004 Vmax with 4200 original miles.Original tires and as new condition.Dead stock.$3500.I looked at a bunch of older higher mileage bikes and I just new when the old guy started it up that this was the one.

The one you are considering is almost 30 years old with problems from the start.Unless you are tight for cash buy a newer one that runs great.A much better investment .In my area there are a lot for sale and they are not selling that well.It's a buyers market.

I just bought a 2004 Vmax with 4200 original miles.Original tires and as new condition.Dead stock.$3500.I looked at a bunch of older higher mileage bikes and I just new when the old guy started it up that this was the one.

The one you are considering is almost 30 years old with problems from the start.Unless you are tight for cash buy a newer one that runs great.A much better investment .In my area there are a lot for sale and they are not selling that well.It's a buyers market.

So you are in OR? I wouldn't pay that kind of $ for that bike from what you described. That's a $1000 bike, maybe $1500 if it runs & has no 2nd gear jumping-out under load issues. Charging issues can be a stator, bad stator wire connection (many people just solder the wires where the plug is, eliminating it), or a bad regulator/rectifier. Or a combo of all 3. You won't know until you look at it.

Not 'on the road?' Have you seen it run? Have you seen it drive/ride? OK, devil's advocate: new stator, new regulator/rectifier, new battery, carb cleaning & some carb replacement parts could easily become a thousand dollar bill at a shop. $1000 for the bike. If he wants to sell it, and hasn't had much interest, he may take your offer. Pray you don't have to split the cases for any reason.

Hi everybody! So ive got the vmax itch bad since the beginning of this year, and it seems that an opportunity to purchase one local to me has arisen. I currently am riding an 83 honda ascot 500 twin. The vmax that this guy has is a 1989. It has 68000 miles on it and hasent been on the road in a few years. He claims the stator is going bad due to the battery not charging consistently, but it does run. It also has a whine noise that is speed related, not engine speed related. He wants 2k or best offer. I'm an auto mechanic and know my way around pretty much anything mechanical. I was just wondering what everbody on the forum thought of a project like this? Is it a good deal? 68k for mileage sounds like a lot to me but I know a well maintained bike can go a long ways.

68K is nothing for a vmax,it depends if it's been looked after.Sounds like a good project,no shortage of parts for a vmax.Don't rush into things like i did,i have spent a small fortune doing mine.I could have bought one ready for the road,but i have enjoyed rescuing this one.

Ya I was thinking 2k was way too much as well. As far as thewhine noise goes, he says its not coming from the differential. More like up at the middle gear? I think that's what it's called. My honda is a shaft drive as well and mine also makes a slight whining noise from that area. Its done that since day one and I just chalked it up to a characteristic of the shaft drive. My idea was to see if he would do a straight across trade for my bike. From what I've seen online, I would probably only be able to get like 1000-1200 for mine if I sold it outright. I forgot to mention that I have not seen it run personally. I told him I would have to see it run and maybe take it through the years before I seriously considered it. Does the the vmax make any kind of whine noise when riding that would be considered normal?

I went through this with my 94. Sean diagnosed and Kyle found the problem was in the differential even though it sounded like the middle gear. Middle gear trouble would have been much harder to fix.

Some Tranny Noise is possible but small chance.

Interesting. He says he has a differential from a venture that would go with the bike. I know the venture is taller geared, but if I was to get, I could swap them out and see if the noise goes away. Assuming the venture differential will fit on the vmax? They do look similar.

I'd have to confirm the bike runs and there is no 2nd gear issue before I dropped $2K on it.

2nd gear repair will run you around $1K doing the work yourself.

If you have to buy new diaphragms and rebuild the carbs you'll be spending a bunch of money too. OEM gaskets and O-rings will run over $100 but diaphragms are not cheap. It is possible to keep the slide and replace the rubber only but its not an easy task.

A new stator can be had aftermarket for maybe $150. A decent rectifier/regulator will be at least $50.

60K+ miles isn't much to worry about if the bike is well taken care of but this one sounds like it has some issues.

If you can verify it runs and drives, have at it. If it needs carb work, electrical work and cosmetic work I would be hesitant to pay half the asking price.

Alright everyone, sorry I haven't posted back sooner. The guy came over and looked at my bike. Ride it a ways and likes the neck out of it. He also said that he got the vmax running but it won't rev. Needs the carbs gone through. I offered a straight across trade and he said no. I told him that will all the issues it has, I didn't think it was worth trading a bike you can get on and ride right now for something that needs some serious work to get going again. Even without the trade I don't think it's worth 2k. Especially not with carbs needing rebuilt. Darn looks like I'm waiting to cure the itch lol.

Latest posts

Back