VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deal is sealed! Mike, Jeff and Sean. You all get turbo kits for your rides. Think your gonna like the Turbo.

First off I want to thank Gary for doing this! I know you will be putting in a bunch of time and money to get this going. Thank You!!!!

I'm also as excited as hell to get working on this!!!!! I'm getting the garage cleared out and cleaned up so I'll be able to jump right into this and get started when it is time.

Mike, Morley and I will have to get together sometime next summer and have a turbo battle at the track or on the dyno.

Gary, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out!

Jeff

First off I want to thank Gary for doing this! I know you will be putting in a bunch of time and money to get this going. Thank You!!!!

I'm also as excited as hell to get working on this!!!!! I'm getting the garage cleared out and cleaned up so I'll be able to jump right into this and get started when it is time.

Mike, Morley and I will have to get together sometime next summer and have a turbo battle at the track or on the dyno.

Gary, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out!

Jeff

Thank you all! I have always wanted to do this and will welcome your feedback and help along the way. Maybe we can get our VMOA brothers to set up a meet somewhere like Indy (nice track) and we could all do a little racing. That would be a manageable 13 hr. ride for me. I could meet up with Mike somewhere en-route and trailer his bike out.

Thanx Gary, Ill put that on my reading list and next time oppertunity knocks maybe ill be prepaired to awnser it.

Here's the best book I've ever read on turbocharging. If your wanting to turbocharge anything it's the only book you'll ever need. Technical yet written for the average joe.

Corkey Bell "Maximum Boost"
+1
As i have little problems with technical english but i've enjoyed while reading.

Have this one in pdf.

Corky also write another book "Supercharged" which i cant find in pdf.
I really want to read this book couse i personaly always likes superchargers more then turbos.
I think i eventualy look for this book in paper.

Corky is most defo a boost guru.

I've been doing some looking around on-line at different part for this setup and found a pretty useful link for the Mikuni 42mm HSR carb I thought I would share. It can be found here: http://www.iwt.com.au/HSRdrawing.htm

but I am also including in in the thread

HSR42drg.gif

By the way, I am setup with SUDCO so if I am not sure if they offer that carb (or one that will work) but if so I can get us a good discount on one.

Sean

I purchased a used one on eBay a while back, but I'm seriously considering putting it back up and buying on right from Mr. Turbo... they sell the turbo jet kit for $130, so even if you get a great deal on one, you still have to buy the kit and install it (they will also do that for an additional $30) From talking with Gary, he said he purchased the carb from Mr. Turbo and installed it, and the thing was pretty much spot on. It might be worth a few extra dollars for that piece of mind:ummm:

Either way, this diagram will be useful if we ever have to tear into one.

Jeff, good find! I know one of the changes that Mr. Turbo does is to change the needle valve assembly (item 65) to the high pressure fuel pump version. Never knew there were 2 types for a fuel pump. Must be one is a higher pressure version or viton sealed for methanol.

Yes, I saw that posted on a dragrace forum... the guy said to get the high pressure needle and seat and he was runnin a 15 pilot jet and a 220 or 230 main jet on his GSXR. I'm probably going to get the $130 kit from Mr. Turbo just to see what all it entales... it may save other people money down the road. I'm also going to be going through the used carb I am getting so I might as well replace things while I'm in there.

Gary, thanks for this great offer! It is truly too good to pass up. I know nothing about turbos but hope to get a grasp on things here real soon. Got a lot of research to do and parts to sell in the meantime.

If anyone has some suggestions on where to get started learning in addition to checking out "Maximum Boost" I'm all ears. Przemek, would you be able to email me a pdf. copy of this book that you have?

This is going to be too much fun. I can't wait for spring!!

Yes, I saw that posted on a dragrace forum... the guy said to get the high pressure needle and seat and he was runnin a 15 pilot jet and a 220 or 230 main jet on his GSXR. I'm probably going to get the $130 kit from Mr. Turbo just to see what all it entales... it may save other people money down the road. I'm also going to be going through the used carb I am getting so I might as well replace things while I'm in there.

Good deal.. they also have a float bowl spacer kit ($100.00) for boost above 15 PSI.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bowl spacer.jpg
    Bowl spacer.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 262
By the way, I am setup with SUDCO so if I am not sure if they offer that carb (or one that will work) but if so I can get us a good discount on one.

Sean

Sean,

I wonder if Mr Turbo reworks every carb they get or if they just buy it ready to go from Sudco. Might be worth a phone call to Sudco to find out.

Gary, thanks for this great offer! It is truly too good to pass up. I know nothing about turbos but hope to get a grasp on things here real soon. Got a lot of research to do and parts to sell in the meantime.

If anyone has some suggestions on where to get started learning in addition to checking out "Maximum Boost" I'm all ears. Przemek, would you be able to email me a pdf. copy of this book that you have?

This is going to be too much fun. I can't wait for spring!!

Glad your coming along for the fun. Once you read that book you'll thoroughly understand how they work and how to tune and set your engine up for higher boost... if you desire. I have to warn you that boost is very addictive : ) It's a great book.

Thanks KJ that is great! Damn I love this forum!! THANKS TO BUSTER AND THE ADMINS AND THE PEOPLE WHO DONTATE!!!!!

Oh, and Indy would be a good central place to meet up for a race, rally, ride, etc. It would be fun to try and get a huge Vmax group somewhere and have a track rental day, maybe get a dyno. I'd even let people take the turbo bike out for test rides!!! If that wouldn't convince someone to get a turbo kit, nothing will.

Right now I'm reading HPBooks "TURBOCHARGERS" by Hugh Macinnes. The copyright date is from 84, and I'm only 8 pages into it and I can even tell it's dated... still good to learn the basics.

Very cool stuff so far. I can try to remember to call Sudco and see what info I can get. on a side note. I do have a few custom made float bowl spacers for the Keihin flatslides if that kind of carb would work.

Sean

Latest posts

Back