M109R2 Headlight Assembly Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do an eBay search for "real carbon fiber plate" or panel, it's often sold at .05mm thick, I bought some years ago for my 1/4 scale r/c airplane project.
I may do your very same mod as that headlight looks perfect.

I am heading out to check out AIN Plastics and the RC shop. Hopefully, I find something that will work. If so, I may chop the tabs off the light and go that route. Carbon fiber will look nice, but if I can't get it locally then I may just paint whatever I get, or get the piece hydro dipped to look like carbon fiber when I am done.

This is why I went with the Vrod headlight, no fuss no muss. It fits in there perfectly with no fabing, just have to get two fork brackets.

Attachments

• IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 90
Well, that was probably a wasted trip. The RC shop only has pieces that are like 6" X 10". AIN is wholesale only, but they gave me a big section of scrap "UHMW" 0.125" (Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) but I expect it is too thick to work with. I also doubt it will hold paint, and I will need to use mechanical fasteners to attach it.

I do have hardware cloth (metal mesh with 1/8" square openings.) I may fab something up with that, then cover it with plastic (like a garbage bag) and lay up some fiberglass. I'll have to find my fiberglass supplies to do that, however.

So, no progress today.

Well, that was probably a wasted trip. The RC shop only has pieces that are like 6" X 10". AIN is wholesale only, but they gave me a big section of scrap "UHMW" 0.125" (Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) but I expect it is too thick to work with. I also doubt it will hold paint, and I will need to use mechanical fasteners to attach it.

I do have hardware cloth (metal mesh with 1/8" square openings.) I may fab something up with that, then cover it with plastic (like a garbage bag) and lay up some fiberglass. I'll have to find my fiberglass supplies to do that, however.

So, no progress today.

Not sure exactly what you have to fab, but would dark-tinted plexiglass be suitable? Comes in various thicknesses, easy to work with, and easy to form, by using a positive mold and an oven.
Cheers!

That reminded me that I have a damaged dark smoke Lexan shield in my garage. I just tried warming it in the oven, it will be easy to mold around the headlight. Thank you, Miles, for the suggestion!

I don't know how to create a positive mold, but I can just bend the heated Lexan around the light itself.

That reminded me that I have a damaged dark smoke Lexan shield in my garage. I just tried warming it in the oven, it will be easy to mold around the headlight. Thank you, Miles, for the suggestion!

I don't know how to create a positive mold, but I can just bend the heated Lexan around the light itself.

Post some pics of your finished project, please.
Cheers!

Still much to do, I have to trim off the tabs on the headlight, mold the Lexan properly, cut it to size, fabricate mounts, and finally install it. I will keep posting as I go.

This is why I went with the Vrod headlight, no fuss no muss. It fits in there perfectly with no fabing, just have to get two fork brackets.

Excellent mod. :clapping:

Great sweep back from the headlight lense.:clapping:

The Vmax bug screen is an easy fit in.:clapping:

Should look awesome, :punk:

looking for parts now :eusa_dance:

Thanks, but I didn't mean to high jack this thread though. I like the m109r headlight I just think it's a lot work to pull it off.
No worries at all. I am debating selling the R2 headlight assembly and going the route you went too! I keep coming back to this photo and thinking about how good I can make it look if I cut the tabs off. I would probably need to epoxy brackets to the headlight to make it fit.

20141109_134104_zpscx7jdqox.jpg

I might end up destroying the light assembly and finding it won't work for me anyway. That would be sad.

No worries at all. I am debating selling the R2 headlight assembly and going the route you went too! I keep coming back to this photo and thinking about how good I can make it look if I cut the tabs off. I would probably need to epoxy brackets to the headlight to make it fit.

20141109_134104_zpscx7jdqox.jpg

I might end up destroying the light assembly and finding it won't work for me anyway. That would be sad.

Well if you do go that route I'll help you out. The one thing I'm changing is I'm looking for or making the fork brackets just a little bit longer. Maybe 1/2" to 1" for more breathing. room when I go back to the HID set up, now that I have my voltage problem solved with R1 R/R

Yeah I know it is not a oem vrod headlight but it is pretty close and at a quarter the price and free shipping..... might be a good alternative for someone who wants to try the look without the $$

There have been reports of plastic headlights melting and/or distorting from heat. I would not go with a plastic Chinese headlight as I imagine the quality is not the greatest. Just my 2 cents....

Latest posts

Back