Bike is dead

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kent

Reaction score
I have a 2002 max, after sitting for a couple of weeks, I went out to shop to start it up, battery low, put trickle charge on it. Went to start it up the next day, everything came on and engine started spinning over....then, everything went off as if battery was jerked loose. Started checking system, found a 30amp fuse blown in small red wire splitting off of red wire going to solenoid, replaced it, still, nothing at all. Battery in fully charged...what could be the problem? Acts as if the key was never put in and turned, no lights, no nothing! I checked the small black box with fuses in it, all are good, headlight, ignition, tail light, all are good. What, or am I missing something somewhere?

There is a main 30 amp fuse for the bike and it says "main fuse" on it. Was that the one that you replaced?

Start at the basics. Are the cables to the batter loose....etc?

Better check for the skinned wire that made the fuse blow.

ALso, check your starter button in-case it's sticking, sometimes a shot of WD40 will free it, or you may need to disassemble the switch & clean it, I believe there's a sticky about it.

There is a main 30 amp fuse for the bike and it says "main fuse" on it. Was that the one that you replaced?

Start at the basics. Are the cables to the batter loose....etc?
Yes, the main 30amp fuse marked as main is the one I replaced.

Fire-medic beat me to it. The starter button can get messed up and when you press it nothing happens.

You replaced the correct one? There are two positions in the main fuse socket. One is active (with wires coming out of it) and one is the spare. If you don't have any power anywhere then it's not the start switch. A bad start switch (sticking) will cause the headlights to shut off but everything else will work normally.

You replaced the correct one? There are two positions in the main fuse socket. One is active (with wires coming out of it) and one is the spare. If you don't have any power anywhere then it's not the start switch. A bad start switch (sticking) will cause the headlights to shut off but everything else will work normally.
I replaced them both, just so I have fresh ones installed. I haven't had a chance to check any further because of weather and me in and out of hospital 3 times in the past month. Should be able to get back out into shop this weekend and start following up on connections and battery. I'll keep you informed of progress.

Could the CDI box cause the bike to lose power to everything? Place charge on battery to peak it, and when I insert key and turn on, nothing except the charger goes back to charging again.

Well, after spending several hours checking wiring and taking to another mechanic, the problem was the battery. It had a dead cell, supposedly messed up someones charger....not mine! Expensive lesson learned, over $300 spent to replace battery. Mechanic did check entire wiring harness and cleaned some things up, bike is back home, running, and looking forward to showing off again in bike shows. Thanks for all the help, I always learn from you guys, I'm just stubborn as heck at times. Again, thanks!

Latest posts

Back