Hard start with cop kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genecarroll

Reaction score
I just installed Gannon's cop kit. When I was done bike wasn't starting so I went back through and checked and rechecked all connections. I got it started and it runs great once running but hard to start every time. Bike. Has always started very quickly before. No issues with anything I was just doing the mod. Cause everyone spoke so highly of it now I want to go back to my coils. Any advice would be appreciated. I have a 98 all stock with holeshot slip ons

First thing that comes to mind did you gap the plugs at .026? There have been past instances of where people have put the cops kit on, and gotten bad gas mileage, and then regapped the plugs to .026, and everything was fixed.

Plugs are gapped and new. I don't get it started right up with stock coils. I just went out and hit the starter a minute ago and just wants to crank

Ok.....are the cops in the front wired correctly? The left wire actually feeds the right side of the engine, and the wire on the right side actually feeds the left side. Its usual to accidentally get them reversed.

When it turns over (and not starting) does it turn over fast or slow? what is the voltage sitting there....and at idle? Mine will turn over under 11 volts at the battery, but doesnt really want to start.

Not sure of voltage at the moment. I just don't no why one minute it was fine I put the kit in and now this. It cranks over like always plenty of power. Cranks like no spark or fuel and then fires off and starts.

I wonder if there was anything hit or bumped as you were putting in the cops? I have them, and they are great.....so its possible that there is an issue with the kit...but this would be the only kit that i know of that would be "bad".

I would suggest checking the connections by the ECU...which is right where the front coils are...I wonder if there is a loose connection?

That was my thought so what I just did was hooked up old coils and wires and it fires right up. No issues I checked the cop's and got 1.5 ohms on all of them

Well could be a loose connection on the COP's themselves.....so I would swap them back one more time....just to make certain. If there are still problems, I would get with Gannon. I've talked to him over the phone, and he is a very stand-up guy.

If there is a problem with the COPs kit....this is the only one that i have ever heard of. Please post how it turns out. Like I said...I have the same kit on my bike. I know that Gannon is busy individual, and will get back with you when he can.

Last edited:
Sorry Gene about you having troubles with the kit, like Traumahawk said this is the first kit that I know of that is giving this much grief. I am not for certain what is causing this for sure. Make sure that you have a good charge on your battery to start with. Carbs sync'd, valves adjusted etc. ? If need be I can send you out another kit but it won't be until next Thursday when I get back home. We can chat on the phone if you like
Thanks G

Battery is good I did check sync It was right on I don't think I have issues with the valves bike has 15,000 miles and like I said once started seems to run good but I don't think as well as stock coils and original wires. Its normally a very smooth running bike I spent a lot of time getting it dialed in.

Battery is good I did check sync It was right on I don't think I have issues with the valves bike has 15,000 miles and like I said once started seems to run good but I don't think as well as stock coils and original wires. Its normally a very smooth running bike I spent a lot of time getting it dialed in.

Ok just wanting to double check... pM sent. Will check back with you tomorrow

G

Gene and Gannon please read your PMs, I just sent something as well!

In an attempt to find the best plug gap with COPS, I found that a hard starting issue was created with too much gap. It was worse cold. Like Earic said, .026 is what most are using. I'm at about the limit at .030 for mine and like it best for my own set-up. I always try everything.
Steve-o

What denso part# is everyone using for coil stick's mine are 4150's

Most of gannons kits come with 4400s, although I don't think its the COPS because mine exhibited the same issue with 4150s, i think its the wires/resistors.

They are slightly different, the 4400's are 1.5 Ohm and the 4150's are 1.3 ohm.
That .2 Ohm difference shouldn't make any real difference.

They are slightly different, the 4400's are 1.5 Ohm and the 4150's are 1.3 ohm.
That .2 Ohm difference shouldn't make any real difference.

When I initially had the hard start issue we thought it might to the dyna ignition, but obviously if switching the coils has the same issue, its the wires.

Back