Can't feel any boost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxin

Reaction score
Hello does anyone not feel the boost? My bike is super responsive I mean it feels like new with tone of power but when I get up to 5,6,7 thousand.... Nothing " extra" no boost :ummm:

Thanks

You tend to feel it "more" in the first couple of gears. For some people its not really an increase of power, as it is a rapid increase in RPM's. So when you turn the key on, do you hear the servo sound? That will tell you that the servo is fully functional. This is the sound to listen for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38tQxsQaYY

Was hoping to feel a an extra PULL .... like the max doesn't have enough haha.. We'll since I just got it from someone who didn't do anything but oil changes, I think I should do plugs, wires, air & fuel filter, fluid changes and maybe the gear oil....

Shiite, mine kicks in like a turbo charger or like the powerband wallop on a 70's two stroke. No mistaking it whatsoever no matter what gear. It's intoxicating to say the least. :)

Chris.

I'm jealous ! That's what I thought it felt like, so it does! I nova over 40000 km so maybe I should adjust valves ????

Shift to 3rd and very slowly increase throttle, when you get around 6k or so it will feel like an unseen hand is twisting the throttle open....that's the vboost.

Will give this a shot in the morning thanks!:eusa_dance:

Your not alone. I don't feel the rush either and I have read post by other people that don't feel it. I raced motocross when I was younger, 250 class, and I know what a sudden rush of power feels like and that's exactly what I expected when I got the Vmax.

I dropped down to the Vmax from sport bikes, last one being a Yamaha R1, and was expecting a lot more from the bike. Since I wasn't very happy with what I have I went with a Mark's 4 into 2 exhaust with 14" cans and a Morley Muscle carb kit. I only picked up 1HP and 3FPT over stock but I am not giving up. I am taking the bike to a different shop to see what they can do with the bike to get more power.

On a good note I did just pick up a Harley Davidson electragluide Ultra Classic about a month ago and have put a lot of miles on it. I decided to take the Max out for a ride because it has been sitting for a while and man did it feel fast after ridding the Harley.

I got out of the sport bikes because I am approaching that dreaded 50th birthday in a few years and need to act my age but man do I miss the power and handling of a sport bike. If I can't get the Max to perform the way I expect it to I will sell it and buy another R1 and ride hard with the younger crowed and take it easy with the older crowd on the Harley.

You tend to feel it "more" in the first couple of gears. For some people its not really an increase of power, as it is a rapid increase in RPM's. So when you turn the key on, do you hear the servo sound? That will tell you that the servo is fully functional. This is the sound to listen for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38tQxsQaYY

:) Enjoyed that short video......I couldn't remember what that sounded like, It's been 5 years since I had my last Gen 1. I closed my eyes and could picture myself turning the key on all of my Gen 1 's, in different settings./places. Funny how the mind works.....such good memories though. :thumbs up:

It may be working..but have you checked to make sure the butterfly valves are opening all the way?
Could be as simple as a cable adjustment.
Cheers!

There is no way that you would not feel the boost if it is working properly....doesn't really matter what gear you are in. With a properly functioning v-boost when you hit 6000 it is like lighting off the afterburner. Waaaaaaahoooooooooo!!!!!!

agreed! I clearly "feel" my vboost...I have a programable controller and have it set at 4.5k...still can clearly "feel" it...

I certainly feel it on my '88. I have the old style Corbin seat, and being 260 lbs, it tries to put me up over the seat lip when it kicks in. Of course, I catch a lot of wind even though I have a small windshield on.

I think some of us got use to the bike so much that it don't give us the rush we are looking for like the first time we try it. Does that to me anyway, the first ride after the winter it's like wow and by the end of the summer it seems to fade out.

Maxin,

Like others, I'm figuring there is something wrong if you don't feel the effects of the vboost butterflies opening. Given that you hear the servo at startup, I'm wondering if 1) the servo is actuating the butterflies, or 2) if the servo is getting triggered to open your butterflies.

You might: pull the air scoop on the left side of the motor and watch the activity at the manifold. At key on, you should be able to see the butterflies being opened and closed. If you can confirm that the servo is actuating the butterflies, you can throttle up in neutral to confirm that the butterlies are, in fact, being opened at a designated RPM. If you don't see any activity by about 7.5K RPM you will know why you are not "feeling" the vboost.

I'm new to my max and my butterflies and servos are sitting in a box. Since the vboost was removed by the PO for Stage 7 DJ kit ... I haven't learned how the controller is activated. I am suspecting your controller may be missing it's activation signal while continuing to run the servo test b4 startup.

I think some of us got use to the bike so much that it don't give us the rush we are looking for like the first time we try it. Does that to me anyway, the first ride after the winter it's like wow and by the end of the summer it seems to fade out.
+1, I get the same feeling at the beginning of the season which then slowly fades away later in the season. I can always test to see if it's working by running slowly through the RPM range starting below the rpm range and run it up slowly to bring back that first vboost feeling and smile under the helmet.

Latest posts

Back