Spark plug gap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Hello,

Yet another tool I am not sure how to read. What one of these readings is correct for the gap on my plugs. I putting in a set of NGK Iridium IX DPR8EIX-9 I bought this new feeler guage

feeler.jpg

Thanks

Ron

Thanks....Just think someday I will be answering questions instead of always asking.........lol

I gap most everything at .035" , except mowers & such I gap .020".
The Yamaha service manual calls for .031" to .035".

I just checked 2 of the old ones I took out and they were both so different.. Then I replace all four with new ones out the the box and assumed they were gapped right from the factory ( oops ) no wonder my bike isn't running right. I just bought 4 NGK Iridium and I plan to put them in soon and I WILL gap them all the same and check twice......lol wouldn't it be the shits if all my problems were because the plugs were off..

But that wouldn't explain why it ran great before I put it in storage and ran like crap when I got it out..

I gap most everything at .035" , except mowers & such I gap .020".
The Yamaha service manual calls for .031" to .035".

So does it mean that as long as you are from .031 to .035 it provides the same spark? or does the spark change at each point in between???

If so how do you chose where in that range to set the gap?

Thanks
Ron

So does it mean that as long as you are from .031 to .035 it provides the same spark? or does the spark change at each point in between???

If so how do you chose where in that range to set the gap?

Thanks
Ron

you want to try to get them all uniform. And don't trust the factory to do them right, they get knocked around in transit from the factory to your bike.

IMHO the diff between .031" & .035" is a non-issue. Theoretically, the wider the gap, the more output required from the coil. But .004" would be pretty hard to tell a difference. My '98 F150 calls for a gap of .056" on a platinum spark plug, & I tell you that truck runs horrible with that setup. I tried numerous different plugs, wires, coilpacks, etc. - the only fix was running a dual copper plug at .035". Have about 20K miles on that setup & it's been flawless. I also switched my VMAX over to copper plugs with great results, but spark plugs are like motor oil - everybody has their favorite & if you try to convince them otherwise, you're in for a battle ! LOL I usually prefer to keep the gap on any plug near the minimum because the gap is always going to burn itself wider as time goes on. A .031"gap will become a .035" gap after several thousand miles, depending on the type of plug. Just my .02...

Thanks, I think I will set mine to the lower number to start with. I will be so happy but feel so stupid if I gap these new plugs the same and then the bike runs fine.

would a improper plug gap cause the problem I am having.. running rough and wanting to stall from a start when taking off .

Ron

Thanks, I think I will set mine to the lower number to start with. I will be so happy but feel so stupid if I gap these new plugs the same and then the bike runs fine.

would a improper plug gap cause the problem I am having.. running rough and wanting to stall from a start when taking off .

Ron

if its way too big or way to small it would definatly cause problems.

Re; Engine troubles

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and a new Vmax owner. I bought my bike a few days ago from a guy 200 miles away and drove it home. It didn't have as much power as I remembered and the guy said it may need a tune up. Yesterday it even started popping a bit, almost like a half backfire. Today I changed the spark plugs and gapped them to 32 then went for a ride and now it is even worse.
It is a 2001 Carbon Edition

Any ideas?

Better late than never..........lol I sold my VMAX maybe 10-12 years ago, so you are replying to a post that old..

LOL...ok. I understand. EVERYONE that I know of that has had one....and got rid of it, still miss them to this day.

Latest posts

Back