How do I stop brake squeal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82ndCowboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My front breaks are driving me nuts.
They squeel at slow speeds. I've tried keeping them covered, not washing them with soap. And I've used two cans of break cleaner. They are only half way worn.
How do I make them stop squeeling?:bang head:

Re: How do I stop break squeel?

Normal if you're using stock pads. I changed to EBC HH's and the squeaking went away.

Mark

Well I was hoping for a home remedy, like scrub with borax or spray fingernail polish remover on them or something like that.
But I'll guess I've have to break down and buy new pads.
DAMIT!

Well I was hoping for a home remedy, like scrub with borax or spray fingernail polish remover on them or something like that.
DAMIT!

Some places sell a paste you can put on the back of the pads that is suppose to stop the squeal of brakes for cars. You can try that and it is usually pretty cheap, like $2 or so. I've never tried it so I don't know if it works or not.

I have seen mechanics use rtv silicon on the back (piston side) of the pads to reduce squeal.
It works pretty good.

Re: How do I stop break squeal?

OK Cycle Gear can get me a set of EBC HH pads for $38 bucks each set.
Is this a decent deal or can I get them somewhere else cheaper.
I checked Parts Unlimited and they are $32, So I figure it's just easier to get em locally.

DAMIT!

Here are some things you cab try before you buy......

Brake squeal

Sometimes a loud noise or high pitch squeal occurs when the brakes are applied. Most brake squeal is produced due to vibration (resonance instability) of the brake components especially the pads and discs. This type of squeal does not negatively affect brake stopping performance. Some simple techniques like adding chamfers to linings, greasing or gluing the contact between caliper and the pads (finger to backplate, piston to backplate), bonding insulators (damping material) to pad backplate, etc might help reduce squeal. Many times cold weather combined with high early morning humidity (dew) could make the brake squeal worse and vanishes when the lining reaches regular operating temperatures. However, some lining wear indicators are also designed to squeal when the lining is due for replacement. Overall brake squeal can be annoying to the vehicle passengers, passerby, pedestrians, etc especially as vehicles are designed to be more comfortable and quieter. Hence vehicle NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) is one of the important priorities for today's vehicle manufacturers.
An age-old trick is to put a small amount of copper slip (copper grease) onto the back of the pads where they contact the brake caliper piston. While this will normally stop the squeal, getting grease on the pads or disks will affect braking performance.

Dust on the brakes may also cause squeal; there are many commercial brake cleaning products that can be used to remove dust and contaminants from the brakes.

From the Wikipedia

my rear galfer rotor with galfer pads started acting up. looks like theres a few ideas here. will have to take a trip down to autozone for copper grease, or caliper grease. give that a try. i also have a question into galfer as i have a contact there.

anyone else try brake pad shims?

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...Q57U0TMO&catId=4&leafCatId=41602&skuId=191268

i have them on my front pads as they came stock.

DAMIT!
Home remedy? remove the rotors :rofl_200: - no rotors, no squeak!

*DISCLAIMER* That was a joke, please do not try this at home!!

got another fix....dont use the front brakes :rofl_200::punk:

happening on my rear brakes folks. jeeze tugla and zippo. tons of help there! haha

hey its 5am just got up brain not awake yet.

ive used the car brake stuff before and seemed to help, but unlike your car where you dont see the caliper much on the bike you gotta be careful not to make a mess of things.dont spread the stuff all over the back side of the pad just on the contact area's. otherwise most of the noise is from the brake dust so washing with soapy water helps but gotta get right in there almost taking them apart.
I would sujest just chg the pads over to HH's way less hassel and oh ya way better brakes after that.

hey its 5am just got up brain not awake yet.

ive used the car brake stuff before and seemed to help, but unlike your car where you dont see the caliper much on the bike you gotta be careful not to make a mess of things.dont spread the stuff all over the back side of the pad just on the contact area's. otherwise most of the noise is from the brake dust so washing with soapy water helps but gotta get right in there almost taking them apart.
I would sujest just chg the pads over to HH's way less hassel and oh ya way better brakes after that.

no worries bud, if we can't bust balls.. well then we'd be chicks (no offense jules and CB)...

anyways i was wondering if i could try picking something up from autozone to try out before i order new pads.

my galfer rotor is only warranteed using galfer pads so thats why i was trying to keep them together.

happening on my rear brakes folks. jeeze tugla and zippo. tons of help there! haha

think the silicon will work good for ya. if you can get a hold of the GM stuff, its clear in a small packet, atleast wont see it much. guess its just high temp clear silicon same as the copper or red RTV stuff. works good on cars so why not the bikes :ummm:

no worries bud, if we can't bust balls.. well then we'd be chicks (no offense jules and CB)...

anyways i was wondering if i could try picking something up from autozone to try out before i order new pads.

my galfer rotor is only warranteed using galfer pads so thats why i was trying to keep them together.

ya i know i was looking for a response after a answer like that......intentional :rofl_200:seeing how much humor guys or gals have in the am....

or just being a smart ass:punk: lol

think the silicon will work good for ya. if you can get a hold of the GM stuff, its clear in a small packet, atleast wont see it much. guess its just high temp clear silicon same as the copper or red RTV stuff. works good on cars so why not the bikes :ummm:

have tons of silicone around the house. high temp stuff would work ya think? just around the outside of the piston?

ya i know i was looking for a response after a answer like that......intentional :rofl_200:seeing how much humor guys or gals have in the am....

or just being a smart ass:punk: lol

fine by me bro. rock on garth.

GARY McCoy at Mondak!!!!!

Make sure you bed them in correctly. Read the instructions or they will be just as bad as the stockers.

Back