pics of r1 calipers on vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
i just did mine and noticed the brake line looking kinked. does anyone have pictures of their conversion? i attached the picture of mine and would like to compare. i'm thinking about getting sean to hook me up with some aftermarket lines and he was thinking a couple of inches shorter would work better.

thanks,
sid

btw- i love the new calipers. lever pull is a lot shorter so much i had to adjust the engagement point.

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 252
Yep , this is prior to KawZX750 front end conversion & 6 pot nissins .

Attachments

• DSC00331.jpg
    DSC00331.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC00327.jpg
    DSC00327.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 168
Definitely get SS lines from Sean. They'll make your braking even sharper, come in any color/length you may want and aren't even that expensive!

Definitely get SS lines from Sean. They'll make your braking even sharper, come in any color/length you may want and aren't even that expensive!

yeah i didn't like the kink. i know it probably doesn't do anything but i rather it looking clean and close as stock as possible.

Whilst it doesn't cause a problem now it could close the hose some time down the line and you know it will manifest itself when you are needing the brakes the most!

If you want to keep the OE look then you could measure up some R1 hoses to see if they fit?

I got also a R1 calipers with Galfer disks set but mounted with a billet adapter since I have 41mm front forks.

picture.php

It looks like the stock bake line bracket is causing most of the issue with the kinking. Even if you get Ss line you may still have a routing issue. You may want to remove that bracket and use something like this(see pic below) to route your cable better. Even if it is just until you get SS lines and find some other method to route your brake lines. Any hardware store should have multiple sizes to suit you needs and they're cheap too.

Attachments

• hose clamp.jpg
    hose clamp.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 133
Brian

You will find that the issue is caused by the R1 banjo bolt hole being on the side of the caliper whereas the Maxii one is on the top.

That means you need to twist the hose through 90 degrees to get the bolt in.

Ah, thanks so then the clamp makes no difference. I got lucky with my Tokico's then as they were in the same plane as my early model brake calipers!
Thanks for clarifying that for me Steve. :thumbs up:

alright, quick question. When I get home from Afghanistan I plan on doing a brake conversion to galfer waves and r1 calipers. what do I need to get this done. I have a 90 max. Oh, and I also plan on calling up sean to do a nochted and braced swingarm for me. thanks for the help!!

I recently did this conversion (1985 VMAX) requiring the larger discs, and billet adapter. Upgrade to stainless (carbon effect covered) braided lines too. EBC R1 pads, Suzuki TL1000R master cylinder and Suzuki 1200 Bandit "skull" lever. Stainless disc and caliper bolts now added though.

12032011967.jpg
11032011960.jpg
11032011962.jpg

Sean is right (again!). The hayabusa conversion works very well. Here are some pictures of my front brakes.
Post #4444!

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
redbone, did you have to use two adapter for the conversion, one for the busa calipers and one for the wave rotors or did seans adapter work for both? I've been reading and I'm confused if I need a adapter for the 298mm rotors. I know I have to have one for the calipers.....

redbone, did you have to use two adapter for the conversion, one for the busa calipers and one for the wave rotors or did seans adapter work for both? I've been reading and I'm confused if I need a adapter for the 298mm rotors. I know I have to have one for the calipers.....
Yes, two for the front and one for the rear. Whatl you need is the front adapters from Sean and a set of hayabusa calipers, years 1998 - 2006 work.
For the rear I have a adapter (Jedi's) that allows me to use the 298mm rotor. Sean may be able to get these as well so check with him.

The Busa calipers are 6-pots while R1's are 4-pot, however I can lock the front wheel with two fingers with my R1's, so I'm not really sure how much more power you need. Use whichever you can get for cheaper. Since you have an older bike you'll need an adapter in either case, on the newer bikes(92 and up IIRC) the R1's are a direct bolt on swap.

alright, quick question. When I get home from Afghanistan I plan on doing a brake conversion to galfer waves and r1 calipers. what do I need to get this done. I have a 90 max. Oh, and I also plan on calling up sean to do a nochted and braced swingarm for me. thanks for the help!!

Hey where are you in Afghanistan? Kandahar? USAF or Marines? Don't forget to go braided, for me its the first mod on a motorcycle, especially a vmax...

I do also agree with Sean. The 6 pot gen1 Busa calipers are good stuff... I had a USD set from an early '90s GSXR 1100 and had those calipers, they're bolt on and pretty easy to find on ebay... You can find them in gold and black finish... Cheers

Back