No Spark

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaw

Reaction score
Im not getting any spark, where should I start looking? I have done the crimp fix. How do I test things to find my problem?

I pulled a spark plug and its not firing at all. The bike will not start so I am thinking im not firing at all. Been dealing with this for awhile. I did get to start once and took it out for a ride, ran bad for a while but then cleared up and was running good. Shut it off a few times and it started but after sitting over night it wont start again and no spark again.

First check your fuses, the fuse box is under the faux-tank, rear left. One of them is for the ignition.

Next, get a TCI (ignition box) on loan from Sean Morley and swap it with yours - that'll tell you if your TCI has gone faulty. Przemek (Sartariel) is in the process of working out how to fix them when they go wrong, he may be able to help too.

Bike wouldn't turn over if ignition fuse was blown

Verify spark first, pull plugs, insert into caps, ground, crank.

A bad sidestand relay can also cause no spark, unplug the relay and see if it will run. ( small relay behind the left scoop and behind the other relays under the tci box )

I agree keep it simple. Pull the plug wires and check for spark at each plug if no spark pull the wires at the coils I did this and there was green stuff all over then clean all contacts grease the contacts for the plugs to the coils. Check your coils for resistance and your wires for primary and secondary resistance. Also as stated above check all relays.
Good luck
Duke

I would say to try jump starting it and see if it's a voltage related issue.

If you start to get desperate, check you have power to the coil and ignition unit (Red/ White wires).
Check the ignition unit at the multi-block - if no power check back through the engine stop switch.

Ok no luck with the jump start. I am not getting any spark to any of the plugs. I do have power to the coils. I am not sure which relay is the kick stand relay to unplug it and see if that corrects the problem.

Power to the coils but what about to the ignition unit?

Check you have continuity across the engine kill switch.

Check that with the side stand up you have continuity across the switch.

The side stand relay is located under the LH scoop and has Black, Black/ White, Blue/ Yellow and Red/ White wires going to it.

To check:

Put the probes of your Ohm meter across the Black and Black/ White wires. There should be no continuity.

With battery voltage applied to the Blue/ Yellow (+ ve terminal) and Red/ White (- ve terminal) wires. The meter should show continuity with battery voltage applied.

If it would help I can send you a PDF of the wiring diagram

The side stand relay is located on the left side under the tci unit ( a smsll square relay ) remove the left scoop anf the plastic panel that holds the vboost controler and the 2 large relays

Ok side stand rely, I have continuity to the black and black/white wires all the time. I have continuity to the blu/yel and red/wht wires all the time also. I tried this with the key on/off side stand up and down with no difference. I could hear a little click when I put the stand up and the gage would flicker but it never lost continuity. I dont hear any clicks with the side stand anymore either. Now I hope im doing this right, I have my meter set to oms and just touching the red and black contacts to the different wires and the gage would peg all the way over, that means continuity right? I disconnected the side stand rely and tried starting it. It acted like it fired for a second, like it almosted started but then just went back to cranking over with nothing. Thanks guys. Hope I get this thing going

According to Mr Haynes you should not have continuity between the balck and black/ white wires unless the blue/yellow and red/white wires are powered.

If you have continuity when un-powered the perhaps you should try substituting the relay?

If I removed the relay should the bike start or does it need a working relay to start?

Bike will run with out the sidestand relay ( beware with the relay out the sidestand switch does not work )

Well I unplug the relay and it sounded like it wanted to fire but still nothing. Still no spark. Where to now?

Still no spark. Where to now?

Your local Yamaha dealer...sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you...:confused2:

It's nice that the people on this forum can offer you advice and helpful ideas but sometimes these bikes can have a problem thats just not easy to find/fix and you feel like you're...:deadhorse:

Ok no luck with the jump start. I am not getting any spark to any of the plugs. I do have power to the coils. I am not sure which relay is the kick stand relay to unplug it and see if that corrects the problem.

There should always be power at the coils. It's the interruption of power that causes the spark AFAIK.
You might wanna try getting a replacement TCI box to see if that's your problem.

Call Sean Morley, he may be able to help.

My v max...94 appears to have no spark after battery replacement. Fuses good.

Latest posts

Back