nagging oil leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
My '97 incessantly leaks oil from the stator cover. I've had the cover off and on again three times purely trying to correct a nagging drip. This last time I removed both covers and spent probably 2 hours meticilously cleaning ALL the residue off both the cover and engine faces. The stator and trigger wire gaskets looked OK(didn't look like the oil had been coming from there), but I pulled them, cleaned off the oil, and used a bit of silicone around the edges to be sure. Used a light smear of vaseline to hold the gasket perfectly in place, put them on and tightened in an alternating corner pattern. Added fresh oil, took it for a ride today. After like 2 hours we stopped, came back out and there were like 2 drips right under it. :bang head: WTF! That same nagging drip that makes the garage look like a Harley lives there.

What else can I do? It's next to impossible to figure out exactly where it's leaking from since the oil gets blown all over the place from wind, and if you park it and wipe it down, it doesn't leak. Only leaks during riding. Previously I've tried using a fresh gasket and black RTV and got a similar result. Last summer I tried no gasket and only RTV, which was leak free for a couple months, but started leaking this spring.

The only thing I can think of is using some of that "perfect seal" gunk...seen it used at work for marine applications...looks like caramel, smells bad, really sticky, and never really dries. Heard the Mercury branded stuff was the same as "POB #4" from one of the techs. I've looked at a couple auto/hardware stores and can't find it. Anybody tried this stuff or know where to get it?

I have the same ongoing problem with my 89. I replace the stator gasket the first time.

I pulled the stator cover at the last Central Florida Tech Day. CaptainKyle and AllisonTech or maybe PATMAX cleaned the wires and put some RTV around them. Set time was minimal since I had to ride the bike home after we finished..

Today, I pulled the Middle Gear Cover since I was stringing a new clutch hose. It gives easy access to the wires coming out of the stator. I removed all the RTV that I could and cleaned the crap out of the area that the wires are coming through the cover grommet. Used a Tooth Brush, Q-Tips and Electrical Contact Spray Cleaner. I had plans of injecting RTV around the wires and into the grommet. I have a hobby hypodermic. With the RTV to be injected being Super Red. I got a little in that way, then I carefully built up a lot all around the wires, both the top and the bottom grommets and wires. See Pictures. I'm letting it set over night. This should be the end of the irritating leak. I Hope...

For anyone doing it this way, remember the little nylon washer the goes on the bottom center screw of the Middle Gear Cover or you'll have a leak there... The screw is open to the oil in the middle gear...

Attachments

• RTV and Hobby Hypo.jpg
    RTV and Hobby Hypo.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Middle Gear Cover Wire Sealing of stator Wires.jpg
    Middle Gear Cover Wire Sealing of stator Wires.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 176
Are you sure it is leaking from the stator cover and not somewhere higher? I had a leak from one of the intake bolts that taps into the oil galley and ended up running right down under the stator cover.

Yeah I have oil residue in the same place. Never been able to find the source, but it is never enough to cause problems. It doesn't even drip, just shows residue.

Wires were definitely oil soaked when I got to them... Outside, except for the bottom of covers and base of engine were dry.... Thanx for the thoughts guys...

Mine has a little copper washer on the bottom middle gear bolt, but I can definitely see it's not leaking from there.

Running a paper towel along the bottom edge of the stator cover, it comes away wet. From the front edge back is coated with oily residue...the frame, kickstand, wiring, and the left side of the oil pan.

Now I'm up at school for another couple weeks so I won't really have an opportunity to dig into this any further for a while. I'll check the oil galley bolts, but this problem started the first time I removed the stator cover to fix the starter clutch, which seemed like the first time it had ever been off since the factory. It never leaked before that. I haven't touched the oil pan bolts or galley bolts on that side.

Honestly it seems like way too much oil to be seeping between the wires and the grommet...while it's not a geyser leak, after maybe 30 min of riding the underside of the bike was pretty well coated.

Could have using vaseline to hold the gasket in place interfered with the sealing? I'd heard from more than one person that was an old trick to make disassembly later easier and usually save the gasket.

Mine has a little copper washer on the bottom middle gear bolt, but I can definitely see it's not leaking from there.

Running a paper towel along the bottom edge of the stator cover, it comes away wet. From the front edge back is coated with oily residue...the frame, kickstand, wiring, and the left side of the oil pan.

Now I'm up at school for another couple weeks so I won't really have an opportunity to dig into this any further for a while. I'll check the oil galley bolts, but this problem started the first time I removed the stator cover to fix the starter clutch, which seemed like the first time it had ever been off since the factory. It never leaked before that. I haven't touched the oil pan bolts or galley bolts on that side.

Honestly it seems like way too much oil to be seeping between the wires and the grommet...while it's not a geyser leak, after maybe 30 min of riding the underside of the bike was pretty well coated.

Could have using vaseline to hold the gasket in place interfered with the sealing? I'd heard from more than one person that was an old trick to make disassembly later easier and usually save the gasket.

i have vaseline on mine and they seem ok. what "seems" to have solved my weaping/leak so far was just tightening the bolts to 110 in lbs instead of the 88 stock calls for..

You said when you used just RTV the leak dissapeared for a couple of months. Maybe the cover has a small crack or possibly oil is leaking along the threads of the fasteners that hold it on.Not sure if any of the threaded holes go into the oil side. Also check around each fastener hole in the cover for cracks.Very hard to see sometimes.Just throwing out some ideas and good luck. Oil leaks like this are so frustrating.I know...I've owned Harleys the last 25 years.lmao! Mike

RA, I know exactly what your going through. My 06 had a very similar problem, oil leak that persisted since 20,000kms to today, 50,000+kms. I tried the same variations of sealing the stator with no luck. I now have found where it come in my case.

Mine is leaking between the engine cases , near the upper left front motor mount. I have tried to seal it,but so far, not 100% yet :bang head:

Only seem to notice it after a hard long run. Need to have a look at it again soon.

Mike

My '97 incessantly leaks oil from the stator cover. I've had the cover off and on again three times purely trying to correct a nagging drip. This last time I removed both covers and spent probably 2 hours meticilously cleaning ALL the residue off both the cover and engine faces. The stator and trigger wire gaskets looked OK(didn't look like the oil had been coming from there), but I pulled them, cleaned off the oil, and used a bit of silicone around the edges to be sure. Used a light smear of vaseline to hold the gasket perfectly in place, put them on and tightened in an alternating corner pattern. Added fresh oil, took it for a ride today. After like 2 hours we stopped, came back out and there were like 2 drips right under it. :bang head: WTF! That same nagging drip that makes the garage look like a Harley lives there.

What else can I do? It's next to impossible to figure out exactly where it's leaking from since the oil gets blown all over the place from wind, and if you park it and wipe it down, it doesn't leak. Only leaks during riding. Previously I've tried using a fresh gasket and black RTV and got a similar result. Last summer I tried no gasket and only RTV, which was leak free for a couple months, but started leaking this spring.

The only thing I can think of is using some of that "perfect seal" gunk...seen it used at work for marine applications...looks like caramel, smells bad, really sticky, and never really dries. Heard the Mercury branded stuff was the same as "POB #4" from one of the techs. I've looked at a couple auto/hardware stores and can't find it. Anybody tried this stuff or know where to get it?

If it only leaks while riding (= when hot), it most probably would be a small crack opening up when warm, maybe you'd be able to see something using a very strong white light (high-power LED torch or so) under a very shallow angle of incidence, so the crack shows up as a line of reflected light ?

If it only leaks while riding (= when hot), it most probably would be a small crack opening up when warm, maybe you'd be able to see something using a very strong white light (high-power LED torch or so) under a very shallow angle of incidence, so the crack shows up as a line of reflected light ?

+1 on a possible crack or warped cover R.A. I think I might try another inspection of that cover since the leak stopped with just sealer. I haven't had a leak yet using new oem gasket and Yamabond, though it's a mess to remove. Went through same with oil pan gasket. I hate oil leaks.
Steve-o

I hate leaks also------
If thte cover is warped try this;
On a piece of glass, use a very thin feeler gage blade and see if there is space around the edge. Or has a bolt hole"expanded".
If so, a piece of sand paper on that glass can be used to level out the cover.
Hope you get it fixed.
Lew

Please post back when you are confident that this fix worked, I have the same sort of leak and intrested in your fix. If it works some of the guys might put you up for an Award Request entitled "WHO HAS THE MOST RED RTV ON THEIR BIKE". If it works Im going to buy a tube of the stuff and try and beat you out of the award:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

I have the same ongoing problem with my 89. I replace the stator gasket the first time.

I pulled the stator cover at the last Central Florida Tech Day. CaptainKyle and AllisonTech or maybe PATMAX cleaned the wires and put some RTV around them. Set time was minimal since I had to ride the bike home after we finished..

Today, I pulled the Middle Gear Cover since I was stringing a new clutch hose. It gives easy access to the wires coming out of the stator. I removed all the RTV that I could and cleaned the crap out of the area that the wires are coming through the cover grommet. Used a Tooth Brush, Q-Tips and Electrical Contact Spray Cleaner. I had plans of injecting RTV around the wires and into the grommet. I have a hobby hypodermic. With the RTV to be injected being Super Red. I got a little in that way, then I carefully built up a lot all around the wires, both the top and the bottom grommets and wires. See Pictures. I'm letting it set over night. This should be the end of the irritating leak. I Hope...

For anyone doing it this way, remember the little nylon washer the goes on the bottom center screw of the Middle Gear Cover or you'll have a leak there... The screw is open to the oil in the middle gear...

Last edited:
When mine had that crazy leak on the cover, it made its mess when i drove it for more then 20 mins and then would leak like crazy, also i found that if i kept the oil level just below full it would not leak on me, not that thats the answer.

temp fix which could have been permanent i ran a bead of black high temp silicon on the outside of the stator cover real thin and smooth, couldn't really tell and it totally fixed it. now when you have to take the cover off you will have to run a razor blade to cut it and then its almost impossible to get off without scratching the case/cover. can be done but take longer then watching a iceberg melt.

did chg gasket and all is good no leaks, but in your case, along with checking for cracks maybe the cover is warped, if you take it off again check for straightness also if there are any cuts in both mating surfaces that would let it leak. a little light smear of black silicon on both sides of the gasket will help hold it up and stop any little leaks from imperfections, dont want too much as the clearance for the cover with gears is critical.

I'll check the torque on the bolts and maybe give them an extra "oomph" to see if that might curb the leak. If not, off it comes again. Then I'll inspect for any cracks or nicks that might be opening up a leak as well as try the piece of glass trick to check for warping.

In either case, think I'll try the gasket+ sealant. Now after some googling, it seems that "yamabond 4" "the gray stuff" is a favorite among people with my problem across brands. Found a big thread on advrider about it with everyone raving about it. It's apparently actually made by ThreeBond, who sell it under their own name as #1194 for less coin. I'll see if I can track some of this stuff down. On their own website it is listed as "Case Sealant 1194".

"ThreeBond 1194 is a semi-drying liquid gasket whose major component is special synthetic rubber. After it is applied and dried, it will form a rubber-like elastic body. Since it excels in padding property, it shows a high sealing effect on bonded surfaces that have poor flatness and large clearance. In addition, it has excellent resistance to water, oil and gasoline."

Would I use only Yamabond, or yamabond+OEM gasket? I know the clearance with starter gears was mentioned, but I didn't have any issues when using only black RTV.

Are you sure it isn't from the stator grommet or shift-shaft seal?

+1 on the Yamabond. IMO it is the best on the market. Well known in the m/c business....

whats the difference between yamaband and like rtv? do u use it with the oem gasket or no?

Well, I was gonna finish up my replacement of the clutch line and close up the Middle Gear Cover. Found that my Clutch Master has taken a Shit... It pumps nothing. I flushed the system by letting gravity do it's thing. Lots of black in the fluid where the rubber deteriorated. Kinda like the stopper in the toilet when it goes bad...

Well, Kyle I need more parts. Either a Master cylinder off a stripped bike or a rebuild kit........ This GD 89 is going to be a new bike if I ever get past all the parts that go bad. Seems I can count on one part a day......:bang head::bang head::bang head:

whats the difference between yamaband and like rtv? do u use it with the oem gasket or no?

Where I used to work, Yamabond(gray) was popular with most mechanics, seemed to work best w/oem gaskets. RTV dries harder and has been used as a gasket by it self or w/a gasket. Yamabond seems to hold up aganst the saltwater elements (as severe as any), and fill in low spots. My own favorite use for it is as an adhesive. A couple of dabs on a valve cover gasket to hold it during install, squishes nicely.But,Your worst language will be in use removing ybond at the parts cleaner.

Back