Anyone had problems with their speedometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmf979

Reaction score
I was wondering anyone has had a problem with their speedometer?

Recently mine started acting up so I replaced the cable. It was a little frayed so I thought that was it but when I tested it it did the same thing.

The odometer seems to be accurate with the miles but the speedo is acting lazy. It doesnt rise quick & it sticks at 15 mph when I stop then finally drops to zero. Woud you think the speedo itself needs replaced? If so just internal parts or the whole thing? I just dont want to loose the actual mileage.

Cable itself is likely bad and where I would start. It could be the speedo unit but they don't go bad that often.

Sean

My Magna had a similar problem.... speedo was "lazy" at slow speeds, and at faster speeds, the needle would bounce within probably a 5mph range. I unscrewed the cable, sprayed a bunch of WD40 in there, and the problem went away.

If you replaced the cable (with a new one?) and it's still acting up there might be a problem with the drive gear.

The way to check it is remove the cable from the drive and spin it with a drill or something(at a gentle speed) and see if the speedo works normally. If it does, then replace the drive gear. If it still acts up, then you might have an internal problem with the speedo...good excuse to rig up a Koso cluster.

Yes it was replaced with a new cable.

I like the drill idea that will work.

I just thought it was odd the odometer seems to be clicking off the right miles & the speed would be wrong.

I just thought it was odd the odometer seems to be clicking off the right miles & the speed would be wrong.

I have to agree with RAWarrior. A good shot of WD and/or a disassebly, cleaning and lubing may do it. At least this won't cost anything and may work.

I believe the Odometer is direct gearing all the way to the numbers you are looking at....Zero slip and the only error will be "built in" error from tire sizing or incorrect gearing in speedo drive.........

The speedometer of course is not direct drive as it has a magnet spinning that "pulls/attracts" the needle, so there is going to be what is called "Slip"...This slip is pretty much figured in when they're built/calibrated....but mechanical drag, dirt and jewel bearing wear will let it change....

Mine has had the the wiggling needle before and cable lube always fixed or reduced it, I figured it's the cable "winding up" and "letting go" like a spring inside the housing. More lube, less drag, less wind up.......The problem kept coming back and getting worse until eventally the speedo cable broke.....

I would guess "lazy" at low speed might be the speedometer itself tho, after all, unless the cable is broken it can do no other thing than spin however fast the wheel/drive make it spin.

I think Sean is right, the cable housing has frayed & catches the inner wire. Ever have your multi-speed bicycle shifting go to crap? The interior of the cable housing, the jacket, wears-out & keeps the inner movable cable from smoothly moving back & forth. The only thing to do is to replace the inner flex cable and the outer cable housing, the jacket at the same time. Doing either one by itself will just be frustrating. Do both & be done w/it. Then, put a smear of grease on the inner cable before you insert it, and make sure the barrel screw for either end is tight. Ever find your lower barrel screw off the drive fitting & the cable inside "M.I.A.?" That happens if you don't have a captive drive cable. My Kawi 500 triple would have to have all its bolts/nuts checked once/mo. to be sure the parts didn't vanish along the road. 'Blue,' 'red,' Locktite, I don't care-ya gotta check 'em if you have a vibrator. Why do you think all racing organizations require safety-wiring? I had a friend with a rare bird-a Yankee 500 roadracer. It was a pair of OSSA singles as a vertical twin, a two-stroke, and it buzzed so-badly the case screws would back out on their own if they weren't safety-wired. He raced it at Daytona for the vintage races.

My bike is in metric (kmh) and is pretty far gone. I found a cheap used one in mph, can I just swap them out and it will read mph correctly?

kmh/mph, anything goes here in the philippines. I really dont even need a speedo but want the mileage counter for fuel mileage purposes.

Given that you have an issue with the bike stopped (i.e. quote 'it sticks at 15 mph when I stop then finally drops to zero') the speedo cable won't be turning so I don't see how it would be that which is causing the problem.

On that basis I would be looking inside the speedo. The post that Mr Alorio1 refers to seems a reasonable way to gain access.

My bike is in metric (kmh) and is pretty far gone. I found a cheap used one in mph, can I just swap them out and it will read mph correctly?

kmh/mph, anything goes here in the philippines. I really dont even need a speedo but want the mileage counter for fuel mileage purposes.

I don't see why you couldn't, they're marked for both KPH and MPH. Just plug and play. :clapping:
The used replacement should read just fine if it is working correctly and you are using the stock front wheel.

1994-yamaha-vmax-motorcycle-for-sale-21407923.jpg

Back