Aftermarket fuel pump alternative???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumacorp

Reaction score
Anybody come up with a fuel pump that will work with the max???If not Ill be experimenting soon..

Is there no pressure min or max? A holly blue/red will fit there but they range from 2 to 25 psi. Can the floats withstand that kind of pressure? Is the factory pump a PWM pump and if so where is the pressure switch located at?

The Royal Star Venture guys have been using a Mr. Gasket 3 psi pump from most Auto Parts stores for about $40.00 that works quite well.

Gary

Attachments

• DSCF3199.jpg
    DSCF3199.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF3264.jpg
    DSCF3264.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCF3283.jpg
    DSCF3283.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 242
Thanks, that happens to be the exact pump that I purchased before reading the reply. So far it is working good other than I need to "shotgun" my num 1 carb.

Tried there 7-10 psi pump cause it was an experiment for 1 and 2 they didnt have a 4psi in stock lol..

The mr gasket 4-7 pumps 10 psi always so dont think u will be getting 7 or under..Its too much for my vgas as it running real rich on start up so too much pressure..

I used a NOS pump rated at 4 psi it pumps 5 on the dot full time with no problems at all...

I will try a few more as I like a true pump like a rotary vane system not those little solid state pumps..

We've used that pump before and cut the plastic molded mount off it (makes it much smaller).

Sean

So Mr. Gasket #42S? That's the 4psi pump? I think I might go to this as it seems some flakes of rust from the inside of my second fuel pump may have gotten into my freshly made carbs and mucked things up.

A correctly-sized sintered-bronze fuel filter should catch that kind of rust scale.

I've got 2 of those tiny cone filters here. I'll be using one on each side of the fuel pump and cleaning it out before anything goes through it again, too. I just figured it couldn't hurt to have something brand new in the path to eliminate problem spots.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You can get these really tiny metal fuel filters at Autozone for like $3, they're hidden in the back next to all the PCV valves and stuff. They're OK for EFI systems also, they can hold high pressure. I believe they're for 5/16" hose.

I'll look for those tomorrow. I'm looking because this is what my current fuel pump looked like.
ugety5yp.jpg

tedahuzy.jpg

ezy2uveq.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I cleaned the stock pump for about twenty minutes, made a new fuel line to the carbs with a filter in it, and it's pumping clean gas. now I just gotta return this other pump, and I'm way closer to running smoothly. Unless the fueling wasn't the problem, and then I'll be closer to giving up.

Had a major pain last night when I didn't really have enough cranking power to get the bike started with the stock fuel pump. Hooked up the Mr. Gasket, turned the key--pump ran for 3-5 seconds. Turned off again--same pump run. It will cycle EVERY time I turn on the key. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. My stock pump was not making enough pressure to push past the K&N stone-looking filter, so I removed that from the line. Left the bike on the trickle charger over night. It still says it's charging, but that could be the way my odyssey battery reads. It started right up with the Mr. Gasket in place, but it still cycled every time I turned the key and seemed to be running all the time. I was touching it and could tell it was vibrating just a bit. I'm going to try the stock pump again tonight to see if it will refill the bowls. It pumped fine with the hose just resting on top of the carbs. I don't know. This is really aggravating. I don't mind having an aftermarket fuel pump, but I don't want it to be pumping gas into the bowls all the time and cause a rich condition again. That's what was going on in the first place with my bad mileage. Any suggestions welcomed.

4ECCEA28-D8CB-407C-9CAF-8E74D894CA6E.jpeg I purchased an aftermarket fuel pump, indicated it will fit on 86 V-Max, but the mount and pipe nozzles are different. Does any one know how to install this?

I purchased the exact same one a few years back and Jimmied it on my 85. It worked for about 2 rides then trashed out leaving me stranded on side of the road. I immediately took it to my mechanic and he diagnosed it as a faulty fuel pump. It was then that I realized there are some things i should spend the big money on. Lol
I would recommend the same for you friend.

I purchased the exact same one a few years back and Jimmied it on my 85. It worked for about 2 rides then trashed out leaving me stranded on side of the road. I immediately took it to my mechanic and he diagnosed it as a faulty fuel pump. It was then that I realized there are some things i should spend the big money on. Lol
I would recommend the same for you friend.
OMG! How much is the OEM one? Where did you buy one?

My mechanic got one from yamaha I assume. $210.00
I may have paid a lot but it beats ever being stranded for that again.

You can buy fuel pump from YAMAHA YZF R6 5EB 1998-2002 , pipes fit perfect but the mount is different, you must remove this one and make some new.
s-l1600.jpg

Latest posts

Back