Where is the thermostat?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shicks16

Reaction score
I have been looking at the parts blow up and i cant seem to see where the thermostat is, anybody have a part number or can point out where it is, i talked to the dealer and they couldn't see it either and tried telling me there isn't one.

LoL, there isn't one? Geesh, dumb arses that one is. Maybe he's never seen a radiator before.

It's just behind the front-right exhaust header. You can see a small elbow pipe going into the thermostat housing.

Part number is 11H-12410-01-00.

How do you know it's bad w/o testing it?

There it is, i was looking in the wrong spot, and so was he, i am not sure its bad, however i figured if the price was good i would just replace it anyways, my bike gets pretty close to the red in stop and go traffic. from what i am seeing the part number 11H-12410-01-00 has been replaced by 99999-03066-00, does anyone know the difference?

Getting "close" to the red is fairly normal if you're idling in traffic a lot, since the fan doesn't kick on until around 220*, which is just shy of the red line on the temp gauge. What you can do is install a lower temperature fan switch(seem to remember the fan switch for an 80's Nissan Sentra fits perfectly and lowers the fan temp to like 180 or something), or even easier, just put a manual over-ride switch in. There's two sensors in the bottom of the manifold. The small one with one wire is for the temp gauge, the bigger one with two kicks the fan on. The sensor is just a switch that closes the two wires together. Put a switch in parallel with the temperature sensor that manually shorts the wires together to turn the fan on. When you get in traffic, flip the fan on.

The thermostat is inside the coolant manifold behind the right side scoop. Remove the scoop, pull the plastic shield piece(slips off), and the fat round part towards the front holds the thermostat.

Rawarrior, that's not the thermostat. I think you are thinking of the thermo switch for the fan.

There it is, i was looking in the wrong spot, and so was he, i am not sure its bad, however i figured if the price was good i would just replace it anyways, my bike gets pretty close to the red in stop and go traffic. from what i am seeing the part number 11H-12410-01-00 has been replaced by 99999-03066-00, does anyone know the difference?

I don't think that number is right. The number I see is 11H-12410-01-00 and there isn't a replacement number. Make sure you order the seal (11H-12410-01-00) and o-ring (93210-43713-00) too.

I am seeing the other number on the 85 blow up. I might have read it backwards and the 99999 number might have been replaced

Ah, I pull it from 2007 fiche....same thermostat. I always use latest fiche as long as parts are the same.

Not a big fan of this approach....if you can't determine that a part is bad then it probly isn't....I tend to leave the 'not broke' stuff alone. You might be unpleasantly surprised how much one of those 'cheap little parts' can end up costing you! :bang head:

yeah i figured if it was only 20 buck or so then its worth doing, from what i am seeing it is a lot more then that. i went and looked tonight and found that the drain valve was in the wrong position, i turned it to the right position and started it up and now when the fan kicks in the temp does come back down, which is better then it was. I'm going to order a new fan switch from vmaxoutlaw to bring down the temp the fan kicks in and that should fix it up, thanks for all the help.

You can buy a thermostat from the autoparts store for pretty cheap. Get STANT P/N 11233 IF that is the problem. They rarely go bad!

The stant one opens earlier than oem. Can't remember if its 160 or 180 deg.

I like the flushing, debugging, cleaning ideas and replacing coolant. I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling when the temp gauge gets above about 1/2 way.I'm using an OEM T-stat. I do have a fan switch that comes on early and keeps the fan running a lot. But, the first things mentioned were all done too. The older Gen 1's had a dot on the temp. gauge.(about /2 way) Sitting in traffic it's right there.
Steve-o

Back