First engine mods.any suggestions??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbybob

Reaction score
Ok...we are coming nto the winter months,and i wont be doing as much riding.I have a basically bone stock 85 v-max,with the exception of drilling out the mufflers.Im wondering,what would be the best bang for the buck mod that i could do to my bike over the winter?I seem to remember hearing about an adjustable v-boost??? And ive heard alot about the stage 7 kits in the carbs.Id just like to know which would be the best place to start....

Stage 7 with stock exhaust is a waste of money and won't help you. Get the full exhaust first if you must. If I ever get my hands on a nice stock 85, it's staying that way.I won't even drill the exhaust out.
You might want to read threads here on 85 transmissions though.Therer is some money to spend there.Well spent too.
Steve-o

Ok...we are coming nto the winter months,and i wont be doing as much riding.I have a basically bone stock 85 v-max,with the exception of drilling out the mufflers.Im wondering,what would be the best bang for the buck mod that i could do to my bike over the winter?I seem to remember hearing about an adjustable v-boost??? And ive heard alot about the stage 7 kits in the carbs.Id just like to know which would be the best place to start....

:punk: Hey Bobbybob, Leave the motor alone and get a Stage 7 kit with a full Kerker or UFO exhaust. Best bang for the buck in HorsePower. Good Luck, Spurs

If anyone thinks it ends there, they haven't been around Maxes long. More power? More clutch needed. DD mod is great and cheap to do, but stock brakes amd suspention? You have to decide what you want your bike to do. Stop is on the top of MY list, and stock brakes are not an 85 strong point. Pathetic is the word that comes to mind.
Hammer an 85 through the gears alot? have a cash reserve for 2nd gear change ready.Then it's opened up and............
I've been lucky to have riddden bikes with mods I want to do before spending the money. Keerping up with the sport bike crowd reqires a different bike. My bro has a stock BMW 1200s k model for example, not my cup of tea, but you'd be lucky to keep up with it no matter what you do to your Gen 1 within the price range of 3 used Maxes. 160 hp at the wheel, light, and low. It's a reality check to even try it with him.

Steve

best bang for your buck? a seat. then radials/swingarm.

Hard to say where to start? How much is your budget for this first round of mods? What do you want the bike to do better?

Sean

Hard to say where to start? How much is your budget for this first round of mods? What do you want the bike to do better?

Sean

I agree!
I did mine all at once. HMF Exhaust (when they first came out), V-Boost override (http://www.micromachines.ca/) , Dyna 3000, Tuned/rejet carbs, UNI Filter.

I would say Exhaust, Stage 7 and air filter all at once.... If you can.

best bang for your buck? a seat. then radials/swingarm.

Oddly, I don't mind the stock seat-"horrors!" When I bought my bike at the dealer's w/<2K on it, they pushed hard to get me to buy a seat, I tried one and decided against it.

I recently got a rear rim from another forum member to use for a wheel mod but haven't saved the $/'dosh' to finance it. I kinda like the 18" idea but the 17" gives more tire choices. Since I don't spend much time at 130 mph+, I don't think I need to worry that much about the lower dia of the 17" compared to the 18", but I actually prefer the look of the 18". I am not planning on a notched swingarm so I will stay w/a 5.5" width. If anyone wants to weigh-in, I am happy to read, and I have searched multiple threads here.

My post count: 750!

Warranty is up on my '07 in November, I want save up for a Marks exhuast and a Morley Jet Kit. After that, shocks and emulaters.

Latest posts

Back