2nd gear problem plz help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swifty

Reaction score
hi new to this site. hope some one can help i bought my first max and got it running today and unfortunately when driving down the road its jumping (grinding) in 2nd gear :bang head: even with the problem its still a nice bike! im looking for a downloadable workshop manual if any one knows of one and the best place to buy new gears any help will b great thank

Hi and welcome, this is the best Max site there is.

Unfortunately your gear prob isn't good, it's a well known one and it involves splitting the cases to replace the offending parts. On the bright side, you can fit undercut gears so the problem never comes back, and also you have the option of fitting a proper overdrive 5th gear (from Venture) for really nice low revs and fuel consumption at motorway speeds.

Talk to Sean Morley ([email protected]) he's our resident expert, stocks and sells all the bits you'll need and is super helpful.

hi thank you for the reply! is it a big job and how pricey is it? looks like im going to have to sell my thunderace sooner then i was hoping. ill give he a try and hope for the best thank again

hi thank you for the reply! is it a big job and how pricey is it?

Yes it's a big job, how pricey it is depends on how handy you are! If you can do it yourself it won't be too bad, but you need to be ok with dropping the motor and splitting the cases. And, the gears aren't particularly cheap, and shipping to Wales will only add to it.

TBH if you can find a donor bike or engine you may be better off, but then there's no guarantee it hasn't got the same prob.

My old '86 was fine (no 2nd gear prob) but I did want the 5th o/d, and just couldn't justify the cost.

iv thought about a replacement engine but as you say theres no guarantee iv done a fare few 2 stroke engines but not yet done any 4 strokes i work in a car garage so know my way round a spanner! wish i had the money for some one els to do the job but car not afford it as the miss was not to happy with me buying the bike lol

Your best bet is talking to Sean - email him directly. Then drop yer motor, split it open, find out exactly what you need and have Sean send you what you need. That's gonna be your cheapest option.

G'day swifty!

I've had that one. It's a pretty big job. Allow about $500-$1000 if you are doing labour yourself, using good parts.

hi thank you for the reply! is it a big job and how pricey is it? looks like im going to have to sell my thunderace sooner then i was hoping. ill give he a try and hope for the best thank again
I feal your pain Swifty.I blew 2nd & 3rd @ 66,000mi. If u can't do the labor yourself, plan on 3k to have it done by a pro:confused2:

thats not good the bike only cost ?850 i thought i was getting a deal but just hope i can get the money together love the bike dont want to brake it for parts any one want to buy a thunderace so i can afford to fix the max lol

Got your email and sent the reply. The fix isn't all that hard and the new gearset will more then make it worth it. BUT, it will be over $1000 with parts and the undercut work. We can sell you the core outright or have you ship yours here/back to save that cost.

I do have good core complete engines but not sure if it would be worth the shipping cost to get it to you.

Sean

thats not good the bike only cost ?850 i thought i was getting a deal but just hope i can get the money together love the bike dont want to brake it for parts any one want to buy a thunderace so i can afford to fix the max lol

Yes generally when a Max gets sold cheap it is because second gear (or more) have gone.. It pays to do your online research before buying any bike!
I also failed to do that when I bought my '86 back in 2008 and although it was in fine condition, I prolly paid about $1000 more than I should have done..

As someone else has said earlier, this site, while having a few users from all over the world, is mostly frequented by US and Canada riders, so you'll have better luck shifting your Thunderace by listing on eBay.uk, gumtree, loot or craigslist in your area.

Good luck swifty, It is a shame that you just got your bike and now are going to tear it open, do try to do the much work as you can. Sean will be able to steer you in the best direction, great person.

Had the same prob. with my 85 max had the 2nd gear replaced in 87 Yamaha had kit of improved second gear pack.Cost me 950 to have it done.But that was 1987 dollers.I still have the bike and never had any more problems.good luck

Got your email and sent the reply. The fix isn't all that hard and the new gearset will more then make it worth it. BUT, it will be over $1000 with parts and the undercut work. We can sell you the core outright or have you ship yours here/back to save that cost.

I do have good core complete engines but not sure if it would be worth the shipping cost to get it to you.

Sean

Hi Sean
I have the same problem with a 93 vmax are you based in UK and if so how much to do full job

Thanks in advance

Keith

Hey swifty,

Yea its some work, but its manageable, you can definitely do it!
I had to do it, got the overdrive, undercut gear set and got-er done.

Along with whatever manual you get, basically just for tightening sequence
and torque specs, you will have all the expert help you could ask for FREE from this forum. I was doing other work is the reason this bike is all stripped down but you get the idea.
Get your bike off the ground, do some disconnect, pull the motor. Stay clean and organized.
You've done it yourself, saved alot of cash!
20150624_221122.jpg20170118_195728.jpg20170118_205616.jpg20170118_205628.jpg

I read very nice article about second gear of XS1100, no parts are needed, only dremel job cutting side gear teeth.(?) I hope it is same for Vmax.

I read very nice article about second gear of XS1100, no parts are needed, only dremel job cutting side gear teeth.(?) I hope it is same for Vmax.
OMG, I really hope no one you ever sell this thing to has to come to me to help them. The TEETH are not the problem. It's the gear dogs and if you trim them back (theoretically possible) then you weaken the dog. Many times the leading edge of the dog is rounded and you can't remove enough of the dog to get the edge fixed without taking off nearly all of the base.

Attachments

• IMG_20150101_214524_110.jpg
    IMG_20150101_214524_110.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
Back