First VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossyoak

Reaction score
I have never owned a VMAX but I absolutely want one, nothing else seems quite like it.

So, I am cosidering buying this bike for $3,000
Or at least going to see it. My question for all the more experienced owners on here is... any concerns? red flags?

Im concerned about "the wobble" and as long as it stays in 2nd, I dont know what else I should be thinking about.

Does "short rear shocks" mean the bike was lowered? Is that a bad thing?

Here are the specs
-95 Vmax
-Superbike Bars
-UFO Seat
-Short Rear Shocks
- 4-1 Kerker with Big Baffle
-Stage 1 Jetting done
-Shift Light with 9400 pill

vmax2.jpg

I was told this is a good price, assuming nothings wrong

i know a couple guys on the forum had thrown this bike on the 'radar'. its a great price.

definitely check 2nd, and the 'wobble' wouldn't be something you should turn away from the bike because of. you can fix or at least minimize it if it has a wobble. lots of 'fixes'.

if it has shorter rear shocks then yes the bike was lowered and not a bad thing. infact you have upgraded rear shocks which is good.

Have him take off seat its only a couple bolts so u can see fuel filter.. also look inside gas tank while flashlight for rust! Known problem and could cause alot of carb headaches

And if its a sound bike that's a steal! I just drove to Johnstown pa to get my first one... I would've jumped all over this one if it was on b4

Pic looks good, how many miles on the bike?..............If it checks out to your liking it looks like a good deal, might want to bring a mulitmeter along to verify the charging system while the seat is off.........................Tom.

Check for valve noise and how many mile's on engine. look close at the clear coat on all the bike. alot of vmax buyer's are disapointed after the bike get's in the garage and under good light. Im not saying the bike is not worth the price but if you want a clean bike and this bike has alot of messed up clear coat it will cost you. It might be a great deal. I gess what im saying is if you want a vary clean bike you can find them in the $4000 to $4500 range. Just make sure you take your time and look it over good. And go look at 4 bike's from $3000 to $6000 range and see if you can find a good clean one even if its out of your price range. This way you will be able to tell if you have found a good clean one at a good price. I bought my 2002 on 8-11 last year for $3950 with 8500 mile's on it and it is a vary clean bike. I also bought a 2002 a few years ago and it had 6000 mil'e on it but after i got it to the garage i wasent so happy.

about 20,000 miles, I dont yet know if its inspected, or if it needs tires.
I am not overly concerned about a flawless clear coat, so long as nothing indicates a lay down. It wont be for shows, it wont be for racing, but if its not dependable or if theres problems just waiting to happen around the corner... well you know

It has also been repainted as the stock color for a 95 is red. Those look like Progressive rear shocks. Ask if front has been lowered also, either by lowering springs or see if fork tubes have been raised in the triple tree. $3000 is a good deal if no expensive problems.

Make sure you check all the things mentioned above before you test ride it, because if its running right, once you drive it,:punk: you'll have to have it.

+1 to taking a flashlight to look inside the fuel tank - that's a bitch if it's rusty.

Ask when was last time the carbs were sync'd, with a bit of luck the PO may throw in his carb sync tool if he has one.

Check it idles well between 1000-1100rpm after it's been warmed up. Then run it hard through the first 3 or 4 gears (find yourself space you'll be flying! and keep it straight and on the dry) if there's a gear problem if will jump out of gear into a false neutral.

Then check oil color (ask for servicing records if any), tires, brake pads and rotor condition, and coolant color/level.

If all the above is good $3k is a good price, but I'd still offer $2.5 or 2.75k first and go from there. I just bought an immaculate 2000 for $4k.

I can see from the pics it's got frame braces (good for stiffening and less wobble), the lower rear isn't to my taste (long legs) but those shocks are defo an upgrade, also ask if the forks have any upgrade (progressive springs, cartridge emulators?) The seat is an excellent upgrade. The 4into1 makes a bit more power, Big Baffle means it's going to be LOUD, and also no center stand.

Thanks guys, ill keep all this in mind... while looking for another vmax because he sold this one yesterday about an hour before i was planning to go see it. They paid 3k.
It wasnt for sale a week

If possible take somebody with you who has ridden a Vmax before.

A friend of mine went to look at one, test rode and wanted it straight away, he called me and I then took it out for a test ride, turns out the Boost wasnt working (possible a restricted model) and the front end just felt really weird, very light and almost as it the wheel wasnt touching the road) so advised him against it and we then found him a better one for just under the price of that one.

+1 to everyone's advice to this point.

The only thing I can think of beyond what has already been said is that I would
1) pull off spark plugs and see how they look, ie, rich or lean or just right, and
2) determine if any of the a/f screws are seized, if they can all be screwed in and out.

+1 to everyone's advice to this point.

The only thing I can think of beyond what has already been said is that I would
1) pull off spark plugs and see how they look, ie, rich or lean or just right, and
2) determine if any of the a/f screws are seized, if they can all be screwed in and out.
Good ideas BUT, personally I would not let you or any potential buyer mess with the A/F screws. If it was a deal breaker then so be it. The plugs and all other stuff is fine and should be checked but that's where I draw the line :biglaugh: I don't think many forum members would let a stranger start turning in and out their A/F mixture screws (or any other adjustments for that matter) on their bikes.

thanks, its 6+ hrs away but i will probably end up having to buy one without getting on it first... just not as comfortable with the idea... I reckon as long as the sellers honest and reputable its much easier to find what you want, not many sellers are gonna own up to abusing a bike tho, its like the used car rundown... "an old lady owned it, and only drove it to the grocery store and church on sunday"

Back