Tail light and grab bar

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosty72

Reaction score
I'm working on cleaning up the back end a little. First I had a side mount bracket made for the plate (which I need to do again because it could be shorter and kicked out an inch or so, later), then I tried cutting some slots for LEDs to go into the grab bar. My attempt with the dremmel came out less than perfect and I also drilled to far for the wire hole on the top. So I got another grab bar from Morley and gave it to a friend that works in a machine shop and he did a much better job, so that's at the chromer, Three WEEKS now!!. Then I made a small sheet metal piece for the small light bar to go on under the fender. I also got a run/brake/turn wire in controler so that the turns will be brake lights when I'm not turning. Now all I gotta do is get the electronic flasher and the diode for the singal turn indicator light and I should be good to go with LEDs all around.

Attachments

• Taillight.jpg
    Taillight.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 443
  • Sidemount.jpg
    Sidemount.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 368
  • RBTcontrol.jpg
    RBTcontrol.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 388
  • SloppyDremmel.jpg
    SloppyDremmel.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 361
  • Drillhole.jpg
    Drillhole.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 379
I'm working on cleaning up the back end a little. First I had a side mount bracket made for the plate (which I need to do again because it could be shorter and kicked out an inch or so, later), then I tried cutting some slots for LEDs to go into the grab bar. My attempt with the dremmel came out less than perfect and I also drilled to far for the wire hole on the top. So I got another grab bar from Morley and gave it to a friend that works in a machine shop and he did a much better job, so that's at the chromer, Three WEEKS now!!. Then I made a small sheet metal piece for the small light bar to go on under the fender. I also got a run/brake/turn wire in controler so that the turns will be brake lights when I'm not turning. Now all I gotta do is get the electronic flasher and the diode for the singal turn indicator light and I should be good to go with LEDs all around.

What's a "run/brake/turn wire in controller"? I have my rear turn signals setup as red LED running lights with a LED tail light and would love to set them up as brake lights since the LED's aren't as bright as the filament bulbs. Where can I get one and how much?

Flipping it would put it in front of the exhaust just a little too much for me, plus I want to make it shorter.
I got the run/brake/turn controller from http://www.customdynamics.com/ it's under electrical accessories. Don't hesitate to call them with ?s, they've been very helpful. It cost $54.95 and looks a little different than the one in the pic on the site but it is easy to figure out.
Need any more help give me a call, 402-880-8955.

Very cool idea - I hope you'll post pics - I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done.
One of a kind, good job Jamie.

You got it, I drilled from the middle slot to the slot on the side, the last pic shows where I drilled to far! I tried holding the bar where the bit was going so I could feel the heat before it popped through but I was pushing to hard (impatient). Anyway, I tried again and got it right, takes a little more time but I drew lines with pencil that I could aim with and went way slower.
I'll post pics and video if I ever get it back from chrome!

That's why I asked. If the lights fit in there nice a tight and clean looking - It will look awesome. Great idea. I hope it works out as I can picture it. I'm sure when people see your finished project, you may get few inquries if you wanna build one for them. You should give it some thought Jamie. :whistlin:

When you finish could you list the parts and suppliers?

What LED will you be using for the license plate light?

albran

That's why I asked. If the lights fit in there nice a tight and clean looking - It will look awesome. Great idea. I hope it works out as I can picture it. I'm sure when people see your finished project, you may get few inquries if you wanna build one for them. You should give it some thought Jamie. :whistlin:

Rob,

You can go to Princess Auto and get an LED marker light for a transport trailer that will fit into the reflector plate spot on the grab rail. I have mine done that way and it is my brake light. According to folks who were behind me it is very bright and easy to see. I run an LED strip under the tail of my fender for a running light. That way I do not need the controller and everything plugs right into the stock wiring harness. I am also running a side mounted plate with an LED lit frame that I picked up, of all places, at Wal-Mart.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
VMOA# 4046
Western Ontario Chapter Leader:rocket bike:

The plate frame that I bought a couple of years ago came with regular bulbs that kept going out, so I went to a local motorcyle shop that has everything and picked up a three light LED pod and wired it in. Works great, don't remeber the brand.

I got the flasher and diode in today, both from Custom Dynamics. It's an easy install.
Put the spade connections on the cut wires of the flasher and plug them in as in the pic.
You need the diode for the single turn indicator otherwise it allow feedback and all the LEDs flash together.
The flasher lets you run LEDs with no load equalizers, so now I have three, 2 - 2 Amp and 1 - 4 Amp I think, extra load equalizers.
The shrink tube works great for all these small wires, no need for solder or connectors.

1 Just slip a short piece of shink tube on the wire
2 twist the wires together
3 bend the twisted part away from the tube so it doesn't catch on any little wires
4 slip the tube over the twist and heat it up

It holds everything in place and looks good too!

Attachments

• Flasherprep.jpg
    Flasherprep.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Flasherwirein.jpg
    Flasherwirein.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Diodewirein.jpg
    Diodewirein.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
I got the chromed grab bar back today, that's getting more expensive, last year I paid $45 today they wanted $75!!, I talked them down to $55 but he said everythings going way up because of nickel, copper and chrome prices.

Anyway, I put the lights in, the top one just using the tape that is already on the back of the light. The other two I put some clear silicone behind them because the holes were machined a little deep I thought.

Attachments

• Machined.jpg
    Machined.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Brakelightin.jpg
    Brakelightin.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Allin.jpg
    Allin.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 240
That's the finished brake bar! I'll try to get the video on here next, I just put it on youtube.

Attachments

• Nobrake.jpg
    Nobrake.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Brakeon.jpg
    Brakeon.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Onbikeclose.jpg
    Onbikeclose.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 233
Jamie, I believe that flashing tail lights are illegal in Nebraska. But, check to make sure.

Mark

Back