First time out with 85 engine eight mile

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
Well l have most of the bugs worked out of the 85 engine I bought over the winter.
I took it up to my local dragstrip Music City Raceway which is 10 mins from my house to run the gamblers race and also test and tune night.
Here is my setup
85 stock engine purchased from a VMAX that was hit by a truck engine compression is 170 avg
Kerker 4-1 exhaust with comp baffle
Shinko 170-80-15 rear tire
My stage 7 setup carbs
Front end strapped down
Rider weight 227 lbs
Track altitude 990 FT above sea level
Temp 71

1 Time Trial
RT 492
60ft 1.626
330 4.531
et 6.968
mph 101.97

2nd time trial
RT 509
60ft 1.621
330ft 4.498
et 6.927
mph 101.23

3rd time trial
RT .514
60ft 1.617
330ft 4.499
et 6.927
mph 101.30

4th time trial
RT .531
60ft 1.612
330 4.476
et 6.915
mph 101.48

The MPH kept picking up along with the track as the night went on. I am satisfied I should have a VMAX that runs in the 10's without any problems. I will post some times when I put the NOS to it which will bring it in the 6.30 range with a MPH of around 112

Come Get ya Sum !!

Very nice runs,

My 1/8 mile times are in the 7.35-7.45 range.

My 60' times suck, usually in the 1.80-1.85 range.

I've never run it strapped or lowered, gonna try that soon since I just bought straps last night.

Hopefully the straps will help me get the 60' down where it needs to be?????:confused2:

Or is it likely just my shitty technique?

I wieghed 235-240 when I got those times; I'm down to 215 now and the bike is about 15lbs lighter too, so maybe that will help also....

I launch at 5000-5500rpm and use the "just short-of-bog; then Loft it out" technique Dale Walker describes in "Launching the Vmax" on his website but I'm probably doing it wrong....

Rusty

Good work Yankee... I hope to get the nitrous finished up this month and I hope to hit the track very soon.

Jeff

Very nice runs,

My 1/8 mile times are in the 7.35-7.45 range.

My 60' times suck, usually in the 1.80-1.85 range.

I've never run it strapped or lowered, gonna try that soon since I just bought straps last night.

Hopefully the straps will help me get the 60' down where it needs to be?????:confused2:

Or is it likely just my shitty technique?

I wieghed 235-240 when I got those times; I'm down to 215 now and the bike is about 15lbs lighter too, so maybe that will help also....

I launch at 5000-5500rpm and use the "just short-of-bog; then Loft it out" technique Dale Walker describes in "Launching the Vmax" on his website but I'm probably doing it wrong....

Rusty

Yeah Rusty you can leave like that 5500 and dropping the clutch to roll the throttle on
I am basically burning the shit out my clutch when I take it to the track. I learned how to launch with a stock GSXR750 back in 89 which is way different that a VMAX
When you have a perfect launch the front wheel will be carrying about no more than 3-4 inches off the ground past the 60 ft mark with a postion of leaning forward a bit but not taking weight off the rear my legs are usually back by the passenger pegs
If the track is prepped well with VHT and temps (below 90) are down you can lean further forward depending on track conditions
Practice is the key to launching a street bike at the dragstrip. I would guess I have over 1000 passes down the dragstrip on motorcycles. Back when I raced in the 90s I raced 4 days a week.

Cant wait to hear about your first expierence ride with the NOS Jeff. Look forward to seeing your setup.
Keep us posted.
:cheers:
Jeff[/quote]

Well I got challenged to a race for Tues night drags here at music city racewy April 29th for 200.00 first finish.
My buddy has a bone stock 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200. Does anyone know what kind of ET's they are running or has anyone raced one on the street?

they make similar HP but are lighter. If you can get him on the launch which sounds like should not be a problem, you will win.

Sean

That road trip is about 9 hours from me.
1) I dont have a trailer.
2) The fuel cost alone would be over 200.00

I havent seen any big money offered such as a dash for cash race. I would consider it if they had a couple of bracket races setup with a race worth pay out.

Why spend all that money to goto a dragstrip when I have one 10-15 mins from my house?

My VMAX isnt that fast, it runs real good for a VMAX and how much I have into it.

If I lived within 2-3 hours I would go, but in all honesty with the time to travel and the cost of gas with no bracket racing with no big purses its not worth it to me.

Oh well,

I know all too well about the drive, the nearest drag stip near me is 365 miles away, and the fuel costs.:bang head:

Keep racking them sweet numbers at your track, :punk:

Why spend all that money to goto a dragstrip when I have one 10-15 mins from my house?

So I guess WE aren't a good enough reason for you to come... I see how you are...

I understand the time and the money thing. Try to find a few buddies and make a road trip out of it. It would be great if you could make it, but understand if you can't.

Jeff

Come on man, if I was in Tenn I be there in a heartbeat just to meet everyone, how many times in your life does that chance come up?

Hell I'm taking a week of vacation to go up for one day of racing, but it's not for the racing, it's just to meet and see all these people and also a hell of a good road trip..

Come on up...

Rusty

Come on man, if I was in Tenn I be there in a heartbeat just to meet everyone, how many times in your life does that chance come up?

Hell I'm taking a week of vacation to go up for one day of racing, but it's not for the racing, it's just to meet and see all these people and also a hell of a good road trip..

Come on up...

Rusty

Gas is just to high and I also dont have a trailer nor a truck to pull my bike for 10 hours. If there were a couple of dash for cash bracket races with a purse of 1000.00+ I would think about.
I just dont have the extra cash to hang out at the moment with my tax payments to the goverment:bang head:
Yeah it sounds like its going to be a blast and all the VMAX meets I have been to been a great expierence meeting other fellow MAXer's:cheers:

Gas is just to high and I also dont have a trailer nor a truck to pull my bike for 10 hours. If there were a couple of dash for cash bracket races with a purse of 1000.00+ I would think about.
I just dont have the extra cash to hang out at the moment with my tax payments to the goverment:bang head:
Yeah it sounds like its going to be a blast and all the VMAX meets I have been to been a great expierence meeting other fellow MAXer's:cheers:

No shit, my total federal income Tax this year was a little over 20K.

I didn't get anything for it except some dead Iraqis.

Well I just got home from the dragstrip tonight
The track conditions SUCKED !@!! and mother nature isnt being so kind with the free good air horespower

My fastest time tonight was 6 98 @ 100 60 FT was down avg 1 630's I may need a new Shinko tire I did bring my GF along to take some top fuel style burn outs and pissing on some new model tupperware bikes
:punk:
Still no nitrous runs yet but I am expecting some 620's 113 mph in the eighth mile maybe I can than hang with some stretched out busas I doubt it most of them here are running 5 90's at 122+ mph avg light with 4 time trials 514
BUT BUT I now know what every 85 model vmaxer is talking about with the 2nd gear I had it happen on my 2nd time trial pop out:bang head: I knew I should have put that 2003 model trans in when I had the motor on the bench

Ohh well the VMAX is fun and fast on the street as long as there are no numbers involved all these 690 passes it felt like I was going 5 80's on this beast but who else sounds as bad ass as the Kerker VMAX :punk:
Stay tuned for videos of the Lankee MOFO at the track

Latest posts

Back